Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Sep 27, 2012, 02:24 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57
I'm ordering a bixler and am reading that I should replace the control horns with Dubro 1/2A #107.
1. Can someone confirm that this is a good horn to use?
2. Are there "snap on" alternatives such as the ones provided with the Axn Clouds, so screws aren't needed?

3. Also, which size clevis should I get, and can they be placed on the original control rods that ship with the bixler kit?

4. Finally, I have a RCtimer 2826-6 2200kv motor that I intend to use. What would be a good motor mount?

Thanks!
1. Excellent
2. Screwed on is better.
3. Small and Yes.
4. Excellent. BTW-A 2212-6 is exactly the same motor.

AJ
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
polyfractal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57
Also, which size clevis should I get, and can they be placed on the original control rods that ship with the bixler kit?
Thanks!
So you are aware, the linkage stoppers for the elevator and rudder on a stock Bixler/SkySurfer do not fit into the 1/2A DuBro control horns that I ordered from TowerHobbies. The holes are too small to accept the pin. The linkage stoppers look similar to this:



It shouldn't be a problem if you have a drill and can enlarge the holes in the control horn, but I didn't have a drill and had to bend the control wire instead.
Sep 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
1. Excellent
2. Screwed on is better.
3. Small and Yes.
4. Excellent. BTW-A 2212-6 is exactly the same motor.

AJ
Thanks! So do I even need an after market mount?
Sep 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Registered User
I too am trying to find a decent replacement Clevis for the Bixler (Sky Surfer -1). I asked HK and they tell me that they don't sell original parts. I tell them that I don't want original parts, just parts that will fit. They refuse to understand.

So.... if you can point me at clevises to replace what came on the plane, I would greatly appreciate it. If I need to get new rods, that is ok too.

Thanks
Sep 27, 2012, 06:57 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy
I too am trying to find a decent replacement Clevis for the Bixler (Sky Surfer -1). I asked HK and they tell me that they don't sell original parts. I tell them that I don't want original parts, just parts that will fit. They refuse to understand.

So.... if you can point me at clevises to replace what came on the plane, I would greatly appreciate it. If I need to get new rods, that is ok too.

Thanks
If my stuff wasn't all packed up in a Pod being sent to Florida, I could give you some answers...links and numbers......*

* Making my final move from NJ to FL.
Sep 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE
If my stuff wasn't all packed up in a Pod being sent to Florida, I could give you some answers...links and numbers......*

* Making my final move from NJ to FL.
What happened to that steel trap memory of yours? I thought you remembered everything you have ever done concerning RC.
Sep 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE
If my stuff wasn't all packed up in a Pod being sent to Florida, I could give you some answers...links and numbers......*

* Making my final move from NJ to FL.
Gene adding the last RC part to the "Pod" he is sending to Flahrada. Blue hair haven will never be the same again!

Ted
Sep 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202
What happened to that steel trap memory of yours? I thought you remembered everything you have ever done concerning RC.
Anymore I'm lucky if I remember where I put my beer down last.
Sep 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE
If my stuff wasn't all packed up in a Pod being sent to Florida, I could give you some answers...links and numbers......*

* Making my final move from NJ to FL.
Is this a move to the Cape or for the season? Either way welcome back to Paradise.

"Your in the hood Dude, your looking good Dude, I think you should Dude fly your plane.com

You can't tell I'm on my second glass of wine right?

In the first week of my "buddy boxed" training and crashed it (forgot to strap the battery down and thru it out the bottom of plane) I needed a prop RIGHT NOW to continue may training. you steered me to a site in the hood, Orlando, 10:00 I called it in and at 12:00, next day it was at my door. I flew with my Instructor the next day.

Dude, I will never forget you for that.

DJ
Sep 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
Nakelp
nakelp86's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Your post jogged my memory to make sure and share some information with you. I am assuming that you are going to use a 40A or better ESC. In any case, whatever ESC you choose, make sure you set the timing to HIGH. The MD motor will spit and hiccup and get very warm. But, it will NOT start with anything other than a HIGH timing setting. Prof100 and I both found this out about the same time. Maybe you go some documentation with yours (that would be nice) and you have already read about this. Certainly, Dan knows about it and it would certainly be in his best interest to inform ALL buyers of this little requirement. Now, you know. Oh, BTW, I suggest you use a 6x3E to start with just to make absolutely certain that the motor is not getting hot (or even warm - this motor runs only at tepid mostly). During the intitial testing of your motor, you will want to keep a close monitoring of the heat that is present. Heat will DESTROY magnets and make a very, very fine motor junk. Ask me how I know.
AJ
Thx AJ, thats a surprise now I will be in trouble as my ESC (40Amp)wires are buried and sliced in to OSD, If I can get this going I may have to open the fuse = building virtually whole thing again. BOOMER!!!
for the top bucks this thing should have been noted on the site also heat up problem solved :-(
Now Im scared LOL. Will try my RC timer first then.
Sep 27, 2012, 08:35 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
Is this a move to the Cape or for the season? Either way welcome back to Paradise.

"Your in the hood Dude, your looking good Dude, I think you should Dude fly your plane.com

You can't tell I'm on my second glass of wine right?

In the first week of my "buddy boxed" training and crashed it (forgot to strap the battery down and thru it out the bottom of plane) I needed a prop RIGHT NOW to continue may training. you steered me to a site in the hood, Orlando, 10:00 I called it in and at 12:00, next day it was at my door. I flew with my Instructor the next day.

Dude, I will never forget you for that.

DJ
No, it's for good.
Had the house now for almost 2 years, working towards this final move.

Next time you need a prop you can just stop by and I'll hand you a couple.....gotta bring beer though. Not that nasty shine Ted makes in his back yard.
Sep 28, 2012, 05:45 AM
The figure "9" Specialist
aeronca's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE

* Making my final move from NJ to FL.
Don't turn the lights out when you leave since I am still here!

Aeronca
Sep 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal
.... but I didn't have a drill and had to bend the control wire instead.
I don't know how anyone can seriously do RC and not have a good range of drills. In fact a good range of tools if they are going to continue in the hobby.
Sep 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE
No, it's for good.
Had the house now for almost 2 years, working towards this final move.

Next time you need a prop you can just stop by and I'll hand you a couple.....gotta bring beer though. Not that nasty shine Ted makes in his back yard.
I like that shin Ted makes. It also works as a great stripper.

DJ
Sep 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
I like that shin Ted makes. It also works as a great stripper.

DJ
Stripper? So, you did meet Ted's girlfriend.

I'll be passing through Savannah next Sunday and hope to get some of Ted's shine for my truck. Much cheaper then gas these days.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 09:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 08:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM