Sky Surfer - aka Bixler See Post #2 & #3 for parts & mods B4 asking - Page 1102 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Aug 04, 2012, 06:51 PM
Registered User
The decals on the Bixler peel off easily. Mine now has orange paint on the underside outer wings and "Invasion" (WWII style) stripes on the top of the wing. Very good for spotting which way up at distance.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2012, 07:03 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar

Reborn SkySurfer


Most people that don't own a Bixler or SkySurfer would think that after a major crash resulting in wings and fuselage breaking (check post # 16474) that it wasn't worth the trouble to repair.

Well I can say that the repairs can be made and she will fly again which is exactly what my SS did today. Only item that I replaced was the elevator servo.

Here are some photos of my repairs from my Thursday's crash.

Looks like crap but she fly's and is pretty stable again.
Last edited by Eagle202; Aug 05, 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added details and final pix
Aug 04, 2012, 09:43 PM
Registered User
Gimmer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem
great vids... whats your setup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight
Great Proximity flying! What Camera did you use?
Cheers guys, was a lots of fun.
Setup is a stock Bixler with 6x4 prop. HobbyKing 5.8 vtx/vrx with CL\SPW antenna. FPV gear is velcroed onto HK FPV pod and wings, powered by a 400mah 3s also velcroed to the wing. It was recorded with a #16 808 keychain cam. No OSD, was flying with a 3000mah 3s bat.

I have a bit more footage that I might post later. I'm a bit of a FPV video junkie
Aug 04, 2012, 11:47 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
wilem's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer
Cheers guys, was a lots of fun.
Setup is a stock Bixler with 6x4 prop. HobbyKing 5.8 vtx/vrx with CL\SPW antenna. FPV gear is velcroed onto HK FPV pod and wings, powered by a 400mah 3s also velcroed to the wing. It was recorded with a #16 808 keychain cam. No OSD, was flying with a 3000mah 3s bat.

I have a bit more footage that I might post later. I'm a bit of a FPV video junkie
thanks for the details....200 MW hk Vtx or 500
Aug 05, 2012, 04:15 AM
Registered User
Does anyone have any tips for getting the motor wires down through the channel and into the fuselage?

I can't get them past the 90 degree turn at the cockpit.
Aug 05, 2012, 07:05 AM
Registered User
Gimmer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem
thanks for the details....200 MW hk Vtx or 500
Hey Wilem,

200
Aug 05, 2012, 08:34 AM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSprite
Does anyone have any tips for getting the motor wires down through the channel and into the fuselage?

I can't get them past the 90 degree turn at the cockpit.
You can try threading a flexible wire from the cockpit to the motor area as a pull wire.

Attach the motor leads to the "pull wire" with tape and slowly pull the motor leads back toward the cockpit.

The other way is to open the seam between the top of the fuse half's with a sharp blade to create a gap. Place the ends of the motor leads down into the cockpit at the 90 then push the leads into the wire channel through the gap. You can reseal the fuse with glue or tape.
Aug 05, 2012, 10:51 AM
Registered User
Has anybody flow the new Super SkySurfer (95) from BH?

http://www.bananahobby.com/2391.html
Last edited by ariveroll; Aug 05, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Aug 05, 2012, 01:15 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSprite
Does anyone have any tips for getting the motor wires down through the channel and into the fuselage?

I can't get them past the 90 degree turn at the cockpit.
the best way I found was to tie a small weight to a bit of string and let gravity take it through then tie the motor wires to the other end and pull the string through!!
Aug 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Sculptor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202
Most people that don't own a Bixler or SkySurfer would think that after a major crash resulting in wings and fuselage breaking (check post # 16474) that it wasn't worth the trouble to repair.

Well I can say that the repairs can be made and she will fly again which is exactly what my SS did today. Only item that I replaced was the elevator servo.

Here are some photos of my repairs from my Thursday's crash.

Looks like crap but she fly's and is pretty stable again.
That looks like a great job Eagle. I'm glad it flys good.

DJ
Aug 05, 2012, 05:53 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariveroll
Has anybody flow the new Super SkySurfer (95) from BH?

http://www.bananahobby.com/2391.html
Cripes. I'm tempted to order that just for kicks. Now that's a biggun!
Aug 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
That looks like a great job Eagle. I'm glad it flys good.

DJ
Thanks. I wasn't sure she would fly straight since there is a slight twist to the fuse.

I just added the pix of how she looks after being assembled on the previous post.

Biggest issues was that the flight controls were too severe which make me over steer her. Made changes to the profile on my DX6i. She fly's much smoother now.
Aug 05, 2012, 08:33 PM
Registered User
Hey Vince, that looks like a pretty weak crash. Try slamming it harder into thr ground next time!!

Max
Aug 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax
Hey Vince, that looks like a pretty weak crash. Try slamming it harder into thr ground next time!!

Max
Hahaha. Maybe you can show me how it's done.

That was the strangest flight I have ever had. It just nosed over and either I didn't power down like I usually do to get control or it wasn't listening to me. They break but they also go back together.

I'm glad I didn't hit the roof. I wouldn't want the Club to be mad at me. Although mine crash was the 3rd of 4 that day.
Aug 05, 2012, 09:13 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem
you cant kill a bixler
You aint trying hard enough.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 10:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 09:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM