Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jun 10, 2012, 07:20 AM
Registered User
Well with everything that I have in this plane my CG is at 77mm!
Is this a problem? Can I fly with this CG?

Geotete
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2012, 07:36 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands
389.6% Correct answer AJ.
Thanks. I have been telling GENE for months to get new batteries for his slide rule. But, he does not listen.
AJ
Jun 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete
Well with everything that I have in this plane my CG is at 77mm!
Is this a problem? Can I fly with this CG?

Geotete
I would not recommend it without a gyro.
OR, the obvious extra nose weight (yuk).
AJ
Jun 10, 2012, 07:48 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
I would not recommend it without a gyro.
OR, the obvious extra nose weight (yuk).
AJ
I'm relaying in the FY-31AP


Geotete
Jun 10, 2012, 08:16 AM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Thanks. I have been telling GENE for months to get new batteries for his slide rule. But, he does not listen.
AJ
He asked the percentage BIGGER. I still go with my number.
Jun 10, 2012, 08:18 AM
Registered User
OwlPic's Avatar

Detachable Wings


There are inconsistent results that follow the various methods; the undocumented details make the difference.

The reason - ajbaker #2149 - works is it is UNDER the wing and uses a wide piece of VelcroŽ. This means that when the wing bends up in normal flight, the velco keeps the wings from separating. Velco on top and bottom would be better for rolls and inverted.

ajbaker #2149
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2149

The reason - kmihalkov #15630 - works is the stiff pieces on top and bottom of the wing around the CF rod and turns it into an "I-beam" with lots of support for the CF rod.

kmihalkov #15630
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=15630

The reason HobbyKing's (HK) blue velcro works better is the velcro is very stiff.
In the many types of velcro I have, the "hooks" (grippy part) are always stiffer than the "loops" (passive part). This means the hooks should be the bridge part that goes between the two wings.

In summery my opinion dejure (and dejour):
1) Velcro top and bottom.
2) Wide velcro or a section over the rod and another near the wing front.
3) Use stiff velcro and Bridge the wings with the stiffest part of the velcro.

The servo wires need to be flush in a small cut slot to ensure they don't keep the wings from joining. The slot needs to be beside the velco so the wires don't interfere with the velcro.

NOTE: Attach the wings without putting them through the body, flex them up/down/backwards and you can see the results of your design. Compare it to what you would expect if they were glued together.

OWLPIC

PS: All the years of "twitters" on this build-blog really makes it difficult to get the information that this blog was intended and is needed by those trying to enjoy a Bixler. At any time afterwords nonproductive comments can be replaced by the author with something of value to the hobby.
Last edited by OwlPic; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Jun 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch
What is the difference between a conventional "tractor" prop and a pusher prop?
They are a mirror image of each other. One works spinning clockwise while the other works spinning counter clockwise.
They are for twin engine planes to counteract the torque of each motor.
Jun 10, 2012, 10:19 AM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPic
There are inconsistent results that follow the various methods; the undocumented details make the difference.

The reason - ajbaker #2149 - works is it is UNDER the wing and uses a wide piece of VelcroŽ. This means that when the wing bends up in normal flight, the velco keeps the wings from separating. Velco on top and bottom would be better for rolls and inverted.

ajbaker #2149
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2149

The reason - kmihalkov #15630 - works is the stiff pieces on top and bottom of the wing around the CF rod and turns it into an "I-beam" with lots of support for the CF rod.

kmihalkov #15630
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=15630

The reason HobbyKing's (HK) blue velcro works better is the velcro is very stiff.
In the many types of velcro I have, the "hooks" (grippy part) are always stiffer than the "loops" (passive part). This means the hooks should be the bridge part that goes between the two wings.

In summery my opinion dejure (and dejour):
1) Velcro top and bottom.
2) Wide velcro or a section over the rod and another near the wing front.
3) Use stiff velcro and Bridge the wings with the stiffest part of the velcro.

The servo wires need to be flush in a small cut slot to ensure they don't keep the wings from joining. The slot needs to be beside the velco so the wires don't interfere with the velcro.

NOTE: Attach the wings without putting them through the body, flex them up/down/backwards and you can see the results of your design. Compare it to what you would expect if they were glued together.

OWLPIC
Glad you finally came to your own conclusion
After all, the right answer is the one you choose
Last edited by Limited flyer; Jun 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Jun 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
DonQ8401's Avatar
Ok, We just got the Bixler. We are having two problems. #1 it tends to turn to the left with power and without power. I have my trim setup all the way to the right just to counter the flight. The ailerons are centered and I have the same amount of throw for both of them. I do not understand why it likes to turn left. Rudder is center as well. Ideas?
Jun 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401
Ok, We just got the Bixler. We are having two problems. #1 it tends to turn to the left with power and without power. I have my trim setup all the way to the right just to counter the flight. The ailerons are centered and I have the same amount of throw for both of them. I do not understand why it likes to turn left. Rudder is center as well. Ideas?
I had a similar problem with mine, I dont remember which direction it went but I ended up adjusting the neutral positions on my rudder and ailerons to get it to fly straight and level.
Jun 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete
Well with everything that I have in this plane my CG is at 77mm!
Is this a problem? Can I fly with this CG?

Geotete
Its going to be a little squirly. Usually too far back will make a plane unstable while too forward will make it more stable but nose heavy.

For an autopilot you should trim the plane for level flight before activating the AP for the first time. If it doesnt have enough control authority it wont be able to make an unstable plane fly straight and if your your PIDs are wrong you could end up crashing.
Jun 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero
... you could end up crashing.
At this point I already accepted that!
Waiting for better weather.
Thanks.

Geotete
Jun 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
Limited flyer
Limited flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401
Ok, We just got the Bixler. We are having two problems. #1 it tends to turn to the left with power and without power. I have my trim setup all the way to the right just to counter the flight. The ailerons are centered and I have the same amount of throw for both of them. I do not understand why it likes to turn left. Rudder is center as well. Ideas?
If you did not take the washers/slug/ ball bearing, out of the nose that might be the problem,but you probably did.
Jun 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
DonQ8401's Avatar
Limited, I took out the washers... Man are those heavy. The plane still needs a little more weight on the nose. Its not the prop cause I have it off and it still wants to turn... Hummmm...
Jun 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
NorCalMatCat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401
Limited, I took out the washers... Man are those heavy. The plane still needs a little more weight on the nose. Its not the prop cause I have it off and it still wants to turn... Hummmm...
Check your lateral CG


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Aug 23, 2016 09:41 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 59 Mar 23, 2016 08:10 PM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM