May 17, 2012, 06:39 PM

First hand view of wing spar breaking

Well.. ya know.. I don't always get to doing the mods that I should do.. and I can tell you first hand, reinforce the cheap flimsy spar!
Here is a video of the spar breaking in a dive.. sure I was diving hard, cause I had a battery failure, or something, my battery went from 10.8 to 8.8 in like 20 seconds..
But anyway, I was interested in getting it back to earth and out of the wind with no power.. the spar broke in the dive...
(by the way.. you can't actually see the spar break in this video as this is from a cam on the nose of bixler)

but makes for good video...

Needless to say, some glue, some hot water, some tape and I am back in business.
flyoverFMS_crash.wmv (1 min 37 sec)
Last edited by harfordhawk; May 17, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordhawk
Well.. ya know.. I don't always get to doing the mods that I should do.. and I can tell you first hand, reinforce the cheap flimsy spar!
Here is a video of the spar breaking in a dive.. sure I was diving hard, cause I had a battery failure, or something, my battery went from 10.8 to 8.8 in like 20 seconds..
But anyway, I was interested in getting it back to earth and out of the wind with no power.. the spar broke in the dive...

Needless to say, some glue, some hot water, some tape and I am back in business.
http://youtu.be/IhbeVwPzpsw
Some people (like me) glued a 4mm carbon spar inside the 6mm that came with my Skysurfer.

Check out page #1 of this thread. AJ has collected a number of mods and the spar upgrade is there.
May 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
'tis nothing
I'm confused. I didn't see anything break. Did anyone else see a spar failure in this video?
May 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata
I'm confused. I didn't see anything break. Did anyone else see a spar failure in this video?
Well I guess you can't see it break... but you can see the shadow of the "swept back wings as it kisses the earth..
May 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202
Some people (like me) glued a 4mm carbon spar inside the 6mm that came with my Skysurfer.

Check out page #1 of this thread. AJ has collected a number of mods and the spar upgrade is there.
Yes I went to Home Depot and bought a fiberglass rod.. 8mm.. reamed out the hole and put that in.. I don't think its gonna break again..
May 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
Limited flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfordhawk
(by the way.. you can't actually see the spar break in this video as this is from a cam on the nose of bixler)

http://youtu.be/IhbeVwPzpsw
I know that this thread is so bloddy big it is ridiculous,but, for somebody that has read this thread at least 1/4 worth, you would have beefed up your spar even before the the first flight, just sayin.
May 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
I reinforce mine wt a 4mm cf tube and 2mm solid cf rod...feel a bit heavy and tough
May 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Limited flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY
I reinforce mine wt a 4mm cf tube and 2mm solid cf rod...feel a bit heavy and tough
Not to worry, one could even bore out the spar hole to accept an 8mm hollow tube,6mm inide the 8, and a 4mm inside the six,the only thing that's gonna break that is a high velocity crash
May 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer
I know that this thread is so bloddy big it is ridiculous,but, for somebody that has read this thread at least 1/4 worth, you would have beefed up your spar even before the the first flight, just sayin.
From many months of watching this thread I can see many patterns of many subjects that repeat themselves many times over :P
May 17, 2012, 08:19 PM
Limited flyer
Yup.
May 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP
Quote:
You can see it AFTER it is broken at the last 1/2 sec. of the video. Look for the shadow. It is quick though.
AJ
May 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
Limited flyer
1/2 second,VERY good eye.
May 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
Limited flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
You can see it AFTER it is broken at the last 1/2 sec. of the video. Look for the shadow. It is quick though.
AJ
Had to watch it twice.saw it.
May 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
'tis nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
AJ
I know, just giving him a hard time. All I saw was the result of pilot error.

But he did admit to it, soooo, it's cool. lol

There's nothing wrong with the stock spar unless it's abused.
May 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
Quote:
I know, just giving him a hard time. All I saw was the result of pilot error.

But he did admit to it, soooo, it's cool. lol

There's nothing wrong with the stock spar unless it's abused.
I only put it up for entertainment value... people .. relax... I know I should have .. could have.. didn't... I just thought people might enjoy it.. Maybe I was wrong..

Quick Reply