Apr 19, 2010, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Seaplane ICON A5 by Guanli

Hi from Italy
Some info about this seaplane RTF?

http://www.zs-gl.com/1/en/productsho...id=44&sortid=1

And some vendors in Europe or Cheaper Cina??
Better is with no electronic inside!!! more cheaper and...lucky!!

Thanks

to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2011, 01:29 PM

my opinions

I got one of these kits,
It ,s well packed and all parts are finished well ,
It went together very well and the parts are all good snug fit ,
The design is simple and all the better for this,
the decals are extensive and all go to make a really smart looking model,
bad bits. . . the decals are water slide and theres no mention in the instructions of needing to waterproof them, so on my maiden flight attempt some came off and were lost in the lake !
also the way the motor mount is arranged (Motor mount NOT INCLUDED) I cant find a commercial mount that fits?
Also the recommended motor doesnt seem powerfull enough
I couldnt get the model airborn at all on my maiden attempts ,
There was a strong wind at the time and the plane simply would not leave the water ,
I,ll try again in a light or no wind when I figure how to waterproof the decals
any suggestions or feedback welcome
Noel
Sep 03, 2011, 07:25 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Although the original post was older, the general consensus on the Guanli Icon is that is is not very good. There are a number of extensive threads on the Guanli Icon, which was the first scale foam Icon model, rushed to market.

A search on R/c groups for guanli Icon will turn up these other threads.

There are other better Icons available now. The 1.8 meter Icon and its smaller 1 meter brother from NFD Hobby are now sold via Hobby King and are much better models (not without some minor faults. Much more scale like markings, no non scale tip floats. There are threads on these Icons in the Waterplanes discussion area.

Also, Parkzone is about to release a 1.3m (I think ) Icon that is sure to be of good quality and looks to perform very well in the early videos.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Sep 03, 2011, 11:24 PM
Wow that's an ugly color scheme! Looking forward to the ParkZone version, though I probably won't buy it till spring.
Sep 04, 2011, 05:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I own and really like the large NFD 1.8 meter Icon. I would probably spring for the Parkzone one if I did not already have the big one.

The big Icon includes retracts, which is very cool, but the nose gear is too weak, which is not cool. Fixable, though.

Here is a picture of me and my 1.8 meter Icon A5, plus a picture of one of the early full scale Icon A5 prototypes. Notice how much more scale it looks than the pretty poorly done Guanli offering with the awful looking non scale tip floats.

Looks likes a classic SeaBee crossed with a modern waverider watercraft and one of the prettiest seaplanes to come along in a long time. (Icon was going for the modern watersports look by design)
Last edited by Thomas B; Sep 04, 2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply