Convert Robbe Valdivia to Baltimore Clipper - RC Groups
Apr 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Build Log

Convert Robbe Valdivia to Baltimore Clipper

Hello,
I'd like to call this my "Baltimore Clipper Topsail Schooner Build using a Robbe Valdivia Kit".

As some folks are already aware of on here, I finished this build last week. And now that "all the shots are in the can" as they say in film lingo, I figured I can post them in shot order. Should be more interesting to follow then tracking the original 3 years it took me to complete this.

Main Project Goals:
- Add a steerable square topsail to the foremast.
- Incorporate a removable keel fin.
- add additional detail as I go along to improve the overall appearance.

I used the currently sailing topsail schooner replicas "Pride of Baltimore II", and "Lynx" for my inspiration and whatever close-ups I could find of their details.

I think I'm going to type this as "present-tense" as I post new batches of pictures. I'm afraid that if I use "past-tense" for all the postings, (since in truth the model is already completed), folks might feel discouraged in offering suggestions that I could use in future builds. Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

So, here we go:
-Taylor
Last edited by tsparks; Apr 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: misplaced a picture.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2010, 08:21 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Yikes, this is giving me flashbacks!
Apr 17, 2010, 02:09 PM
Really looks like a nice kit!
Apr 17, 2010, 06:22 PM
WOW cant wait to see more!
Apr 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
Retired for now
There's just nothing like having a full basement to work in. Can't have that down here as the water table is too high. Nice place to work and a good job on the conversion . Pete
Apr 27, 2010, 09:46 AM
Kraut
horseshoer rasp and file works great on lead.
Apr 28, 2010, 11:17 AM
SCALE Sailor
and hooves too. I'm trying to find a modeling application for my crease nail puller.

Apr 29, 2010, 09:33 PM
Kraut
let me think about it, Jerry.

Maybe you could blacksmith them into a nice set of tongues for led pouring, or use them as a crimper for those little tubes on your rigging.