This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 14, 2010, 08:56 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Success!

Talk about fun; the former "castoffs" in my last post are not only no longer cast off, but are now proud additions to my fleet.

The 1/6-scale Cub - which might not be a Sig Manufacturing model after all - had been giving me trouble from the very start in regards to its landing gear. The sleeves which are supposed to hold part of the assembly together simply have no grab left in them and the whole works collapsed on the first takeoff attempt.

Ah, but the second attempt was a thing of beauty. She took to the air with real authority on a fairly windy afternoon. Straight line performance was terrific and that old O.S. 45 hummed like it was new. Throttling back let the Cub fly nice and gentle, but those old 45's like to rev, so it wasn't terribly happy, but hey, I didn't mind.

Not wanting to press my luck with the landing gear, I floated the Cub in for a landing and sure enough, one side let go. I was able to taxi back to the flight line with no problem. The flight convinced me to eventually finish the visual details such as the cowl, scale wheels and landing gear fairings. It's just too much fun to fly a Cub not to do this one right.

The real fun came when the Super Sportster hit the sky. What a rush! Loud and screaming fast with that tuned pipe, it ripped through the sky with little more than some left aileron trim. It pulled off some truly nice loops, Cubans, half Cubans and victory rolls with a lot more aileron response than I would have expected with a single servo and torque rods. It's one of those models that just feel right the moment you put it in the air.

Since the wind was starting to pick up and since the sun was in such a dreadfully bad position in the sky, I figured that this model deserved to survive another thirty years, so in she came on final for a perfect three-pointer. The wind had kicked up to the point where the Super Sportster didn't want to do anything on the ground except weathervane, so I cut the engine and retrieved it from the runway. A second flight just yesterday in calmer conditions was far more fun and the ground handling was markedly better.

I can't imagine giving such a model away or getting tired of it, but there you have it.

So...if the winds don't kick back up, the Super Sportster goes back up in a couple of days and the Cub will go back up as soon as I have those gear either spot welded or silver soldered.

Days like this make me realize what a fun hobby this can be.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Apr 16, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply