Apr 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
Circles in Lift
Thread OP
Discussion

Supra Pro Competition Pushrod Question

Quick Q for those of you who have built a new Supra Pro Competition...

The pushrods are preinstalled in the boom in these new planes, and they exit the boom together on one side. You can't really separate them and run them on either side of the ballast tube like on the previous Supra Pro. For those of you who have built these new planes, how did you handle this? Did you run them forward into the pod together, and have the elevator and rudder servo arms on the same side, bending the nylon arms for clearance or shimming up the forward servo? Or did you somehow separate the pushrods and run them on either side of the pod as before? I couldn't get them separated without increasing pushrod friction unacceptably.

Thanks - Jim Laurel
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2010, 03:58 AM
Jim,
I used the same trick on the Supra Pro Comp as I did on the Sprite. Mount one servo on the top of the tray, and the other from the bottom. This will give the necessary separation height in the servo arms so the clevis' won't interfere with each other. I did separate the rods for an inch or so from the canopy end to allow the rods to move a bit more independently and not have the stationary one stress the moving one.

JT
Apr 14, 2010, 09:01 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
Last edited by jaizon; Apr 14, 2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: won't load photo
Apr 14, 2010, 02:17 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
Jim,

Here's another option as per Kennedy's builder.

Preston
Apr 14, 2010, 03:45 PM
Circles in Lift
Thread OP
Thanks, guys. Pretty much confirms my thoughts as well. The pushrods do run smoothest when they are both on the same side of the pod. Will do them same as the Sprite. I've got three of 'em to build, so better get crackin'!
Apr 14, 2010, 04:40 PM
I did exactly what JT suggested in his reply above. I used 2-56 bolts to secure the servos. The rear servo mounted under the tray while the front servo went on top.

I flew my Supro Pro Competition today for the first time. Wind was 8mph. Plane weighs 57.25 oz. Cg at 103mm from wing leading edge. The trailing edge of the stab is 38 mm from the top of the boom. This gave a nice launch off a high start. My tow hook is 13 cm from the rear boom to fuse seam to the center of the vertical part of the hook as it goes into the fuselage. Did not need to bring extra underware! It was fantastic.

Thanks to D. Hauch, Ron Mong and D. Harris for their good advice!

Andy

Quick Reply