Apr 13, 2010, 03:11 PM
Phil
Thread OP
Discussion

2 planes lost

Crashed my second plane using Spektrum DX7 and ar6200 receiver.It appears I lost the bind.While flying the first plane straight and level at a height of 50feet and 100feet out the plane nosed dived into the ground.The elevator would not respond to my transmitter comand .Upon examanition I noticed the receiver led blinking.The battery checked out ok.The second plane did the exact same thing. Been using this system for 2 years without any noticable issues before.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2010, 03:17 PM
Blinking LED says power loss.

If the battery is really OK on its own (that is under a representive load) then look for bad connections, poor switch or a servo with an intermittent problem that is pulling excessive current.
Apr 13, 2010, 07:23 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by monokote
Crashed my second plane using Spektrum DX7 and ar6200 receiver.It appears I lost the bind.While flying the first plane straight and level at a height of 50feet and 100feet out the plane nosed dived into the ground.The elevator would not respond to my transmitter comand .Upon examanition I noticed the receiver led blinking.The battery checked out ok.The second plane did the exact same thing. Been using this system for 2 years without any noticable issues before.
This has nothing to do with binding. Binding simply means that the receiver has learned which transmitter it should respond to (i.e., it has memorized a number that identifies the transmitter and the model memory). Receivers don't "lose bind."

Of course, receivers may lose the signal for various reasons and will normally resume operation quickly once they get it back (unless they are early examples that haven't had a firmware update). You can simulate this by turning the transmitter off and back on.

One main reason for losing the signal is that the receiver experiences a low (or no) voltage event, AKA "brownout". With up-to-date firmware (since early 2008) the receiver with recover quickly (within a second or so) and will signal that it has a problem by flashing continuously. You can simulate this by turning the receiver power off and back on. You should get back control almost immediately.

You say the battery checked out OK. How did you check it? It must be under a substantial load to mean anything.

As teamdavey says, you should also look for possible circuit interruptions. And were you using the same servos in the two planes that crashed?

If you can rule out everything else, then its time to talk to Horizon Hobby about the receiver.
Apr 13, 2010, 08:05 PM
I'm reading this stuff more and more every day. Sorry for the loss.
Apr 13, 2010, 11:50 PM
Phil
Thread OP
I have been flying glow and electric for many years using 2.4ghz and 72mhz radios without any radio trouble.It is only the Spektrum radio system that I ever had this problem.My futaba 2.4ghz radio has not been a problem so far.I can't afford to gamble on losing any more planes.
Apr 14, 2010, 12:17 AM
Entropy is happening!

Dx6i

My Dx6i tx is sitting idle in the cupboard. I have had such bruising experiences with rx's that I am over Spektrum, I will not sell it or even give it away. I don't know what to do with it.

I know that a lot of development problems have been sorted, as with any relatively new technology. However, my old 36 Mhz radios are much cheaper, and by my limited experience, much more reliable.

However, I am watching with interest the Asian manufactured hack modules, which fit the old Futaba tx's.

Jim.
Apr 14, 2010, 12:57 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
Battery check out as in load tested?
Apr 14, 2010, 01:25 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback
Battery check out as in load tested?
Yes, I load tested my battery at 100ma (from memory, it was about 1 year ago or more). One of my rx's were sent back and replaced by the manufacturer with no explanation as to what was wrong with the first one. However, I lost that one in a plane, no fault of the rx this time. Pity, it may have proved to be fine in the fullness of time.

Jim.
Apr 14, 2010, 01:46 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
Quote:
Yes, I load tested my battery at 100ma (from memory, it was about 1 year ago or more).
100mA is a pretty low drain rate for most LiPos. Maybe you meant 100A? Is it just an Rx battery pack?

Also, LiPos develop more internal resistance over time, especially if you store them fully charged.
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 14, 2010 at 02:51 AM.
Apr 14, 2010, 02:59 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend
100mA is a pretty low drain rate for most LiPos. Maybe you meant 100A? Is it just an Rx battery pack?

Also, LiPos develop more internal resistance over time, especially if you store them fully charged.
I only use rx NiMh batteries, mostly 5 cell. I fly gliders only. I am still LiPo averse! No reason to be otherwise though.

Jim.
Apr 14, 2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monokote
I lost a 2M Pulsar, when (I believe) my AR6250 receiver locked up at 100 feet. Pulsar gradually nosed over and dove straight into the ground. After the spectacular impact, LiPo, all servos, connections, linkages checked ok. Rx was powered with BEC from Castle ESC. Unfortunately I could not check the LED lights on the AR6250 Rx, damaged ESC. The three servos, from the crashed airframe are now hapily flying in another Pulsar.
I had other problems with these AR6250 "carbon friendly" Rx, with long antenna wires. Had one Pulsar, sitting in the grass, suddenly go to WOT. Tx was still on. I also used the Dx-7 tx, with my sailplanes, great for helis and small foamies.

Just bought a Futaba 8FG
Apr 14, 2010, 07:29 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello
Yes, I load tested my battery at 100ma (from memory, it was about 1 year ago or more). Jim.
While 100 mA may give a good indication of the state of charge of an NiMH pack, it's not enough to detect problems with the battery. I'd apply a load giving 1A to get a better sense of what's going on when the servos are working (or a good deal more for high power servos in big models).
Apr 14, 2010, 09:55 AM
Phil
Thread OP
I found out that the guys using Spektrum radio in their r/c cars were having failures.
Apr 14, 2010, 10:28 AM
solastagia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
This has nothing to do with binding. Binding simply means that the receiver has learned which transmitter it should respond to (i.e., it has memorized a number that identifies the transmitter and the model memory). Receivers don't "lose bind."
There is something strange happening with some Spektrum Rx that seems a lot like the Rx loses bind:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1224596

Kevin
Apr 15, 2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66

Of course, receivers may lose the signal for various reasons and will normally resume operation quickly once they get it back (unless they are early examples that haven't had a firmware update). You can simulate this by turning the transmitter off and back on.
Not really, to simulate a brownout disconect the RX-battery. After battery reconect should the orange LED blinking and the RX should reconect instantly.
Should the LED not blinking then has the RX a old software revison and should upgraded. The dumbest thing what we can do is switch off the TX after a connect loss.

Quick Reply