Apr 10, 2010, 09:14 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Idea

How about a piYak??!!

Ok a little background here. My two favorite foamies are Sr71fan's pi plane and Leadfeather's EPP Yak. SO I wondered how would a piYak fly if it existed? Well it actually flies great! And with the EPP construction, it is going to last longer too which is a real bonus since I have built like 10 pi planes in the last couple years. Here is what I used to build it.

9mm 1.9 lb EPP foam
pico servos x 3
AR6100 rx
BW 1500 kv motor
GWS 9x4.7 prop
Turnigy plush 10 esc
500 mAh 2s LiPo
plastic HK motor mount

The disc is 18" in diameter and fuse 23" in length overall

Also I have no plans made, and since I have no CAD program there are no plans for plans lol If anyone out there wants to draw some plans, I can give you dimensions.

I have attached a pic and a video. This is my first time to edit a video, and first time to upload one too, so be gentle. I had no camera man handy so I had to go it on my own. It is also the test flight which actually went pretty well.

This is now my new favorite plane!

Mark

First flight of the piYak!! (2 min 58 sec)
Last edited by aeronot; Apr 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2010, 10:52 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down

piYak

Too COOL!

Great! Now, I'll have to build one.

WooHoo!
Apr 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
That is one cool little airplane Great job
Apr 10, 2010, 10:58 PM

I want one

Very nice Mark I need the template and some of your eppUnless you would like to build me one.
Apr 10, 2010, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Madron
Very nice Mark I need the template and some of your eppUnless you would like to build me one.
Now that's funny, right there!
Apr 10, 2010, 11:06 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Madron
Unless you would like to build me one.
Umm let me think about it for a minute...NO!!!!

I am finishing the templates right now, so I can cut them on a hot wire.

It is really a blast to fly. So libertating to fly a plane you have no fear of crashing.

Mark
Apr 11, 2010, 01:09 AM
those torque rolls are CRAZY!!! looks like some real tight loops, too. looks like something you can just go "balls to the walls" with with no fear.

- Jeff
Apr 11, 2010, 05:32 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
Jeff there is a little fear lol. All of the pi planes have very similar flight performance. They are best described as kinda a "3D only" design. You have to have good command of your rudder and throttle or you just simply aren't going to enjoy it very much because it won't go where you want it to lol. As with any "edgy" design it can get away from you very quickly too. But this version with the EPP construction will allow you to crash without near as many consequences which can buy you a lot of forgiveness! You will probably need a stash of props if you have never flown one though...ok you need a stash of props even if you have flown one before!

Mark
Last edited by aeronot; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
Apr 11, 2010, 06:28 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronot
Jeff there is a little fear lol. All of the pi planes have very similar flight performance. They are best described as kinda a "3D only" design. You have to have good command of your rudder and throttle or you just simply aren't going to enjoy it very much because it won't go where you want it to lol. As with any "edgy" design it can get away from you very quickly too. But this version with the EPP construction will allow you to crash without near as many consequences which can buy you a lot of forgiveness! You will probably need a stash of props if you have never flown one though...ok you need a stash of props even if you have flown one before!

Mark
The moral of the story is don't use GWS slowfly props unless you can get them wholesale

Great plane BTW..PiPlanes and their friends are always good fun.... I was flying my PiPlane outdoors yesterday as there was only 6mph wind.
Apr 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
The moral of the story is don't use GWS slowfly props unless you can get them wholesale

Great plane BTW..PiPlanes and their friends are always good fun.... I was flying my PiPlane outdoors yesterday as there was only 6mph wind.
Very true on the SF props as they aren't durable. I also use the GWS HD 9x5 as it has similar performance and is tougher. But I still think the 9x4.7 flies better on some models. It does seem to have better throttle response and generally flies "snappier" too. I get them from HK in 6 packs so I can afford to break a few...

Mark
Apr 11, 2010, 07:49 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Cute Plane !!! Just a suggestion ... a simple monowheel landing gear will help with the prop breaking bit ... shouldn't affect performance that much ..
Apr 11, 2010, 08:01 AM
Winging it Ò>
aeronot, What a great flying plane, nice job!
Apr 11, 2010, 10:06 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
Thanks guys for all the compliments!

GPW I was told by SR71fan that he would shoot me if I ever put landing gear on a pi plane...

I actuallly started to add gear once, but I have gotten so used to hand launch and recovery that it might seem odd to fly one with gear. I might have to try it sometime.

I just flew the piYak outside and had a blast. Too much fun!

Mark
Apr 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
flyin' fool
A pi and a Yak, great idea.

LG would add a demension to your flying.........shooting T n' Gs. The extra fun might override the fear of being shot.
Apr 12, 2010, 06:48 PM
aeronot thanks for the idea hope mine flies as well as yours
Apr 12, 2010, 07:09 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Cool! I have a 4x3 mm carbon tube spar 15" long about midway and my CG is 4&3/4" from the front of the disc.
Your elevons look smallish (at least in the pic they do), but you can always cut bigger ones if you need to. Mine are 4" from back of disc to hinge line with a 1" forward sweep to the outer edge. It seems that pi planes thrive on lots of control surface.

Have fun!

Mark
Apr 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
Mark,

Build me one of them, will Ya?

Gary
Apr 13, 2010, 10:18 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Sure, right after you...............

oh never mind, I don't wanna!
Apr 13, 2010, 10:23 PM
Jun 24, 2010, 02:52 AM
How 'bout an outdoor video. Another interesting circle. Can't hardly make a bad disc plane or delta. Nice... Might just have to convert my wannabee triple threat to that if I can get a rudder servo far enough forward with out having to move the elevon servos. I haven't been flyin it lately. I have liked adding big rudders to previously elevon only planes as of late too.
Jun 25, 2010, 07:44 PM
Fly Bluff Park, Long Beach CA
Thanks rick.benjamin for mentioning us, much appreciated sir
Jun 26, 2010, 12:24 AM
Old vert stabs removed. New fuse cut out, rudder attached. Just a little paint added. Reduced by 10 percent as my disc was 16".

BTW, I really like my WTT especially since it stores so easily. But recently ( a few months the last time I flew it) I thought it just wasn't holding very well in hi alpha slow. I went a head and made the yak fuse and then proceeded to remove my verts. Guess what, my center vert was cracked on the bottom and half loose on the top so that she was free to hinge right rudder in flight which was why I needed to hold left. I sure hope the new piyak holds up to how I think it will as I am getting fond of elevons and rudders as the WTT could be thrown in about anywhere and go fly. That is probably why the vert is loose.
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jun 26, 2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: I really like the WTT as well!!!
Jun 26, 2010, 08:08 AM
Fuse just set on. May finish by the end of the weekend. I hope I won't need to move the elevon servos forward to balance, But, I fear I might...
Jun 26, 2010, 08:32 AM
BTW, did you notice that the plan canopy placement differs from the prototype. The canopy placement in the prototype gives a fun almost cartoonish appearance in my opinion, the placement of the canopy in the plan gives more of the muscle car look.
Jun 26, 2010, 11:23 AM
flyin' fool
Two different Yaks, two different canopies. One's for fun, the other serious business. Although having fun is serious business.
Jun 26, 2010, 06:12 PM
Waiting on some calm. Third pic shows my little triple strength bottom as that seemed like a weak point to me. Not very pretty as it was a fairly worn plane prior to the transformation. Should fly well though. This won't be floaty like aeronot's, but it will be an outdoor breezy flier anyway...
Jun 26, 2010, 10:15 PM
200 sq. in. area. Weight 176g with 500 mAh 2s. 4.32 oz/sqft.
Jun 27, 2010, 10:35 AM
flyin' fool
Looks great wolfie. The Piplane is a great design, so you'll have a load of fun with it.
Jun 27, 2010, 10:44 AM
A couple of videos from this morning. Flies nice.

maiden
PiYak maiden flight.wmv (5 min 36 sec)

Full rates
PiYak on full rates.wmv (3 min 53 sec)
Jun 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Reduce the drama...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
BTW, did you notice that the plan canopy placement differs from the prototype. The canopy placement in the prototype gives a fun almost cartoonish appearance in my opinion, the placement of the canopy in the plan gives more of the muscle car look.
A cartoonish look for the Wolfie in the corner! a PDF comic fuse added!
Jun 27, 2010, 04:24 PM
I wonder if there would be any flight difference. Not much more fuse up front. Had there been two to choose from, I don't know which I would have chosen. Both look good. I didn't realize it until mine was done.
Jun 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
I really liked the wannabee Triple Threat. I had planned already to add a rudder. Thank aeronot for this idea.

Here is an enhanced version of the maiden. I was playing with effects.

Here's the remix. Some of it is zoomed in a little bit which shows it better, some is just for fun.
PiYak Maiden remix.wmv (5 min 29 sec)

Here is a shortened enhance version of the second flight:

PiYak Short HD.wmv (1 min 44 sec)
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jun 27, 2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added second vid
Jun 27, 2010, 05:34 PM
Reduce the drama...
Great video!
When I drew Mark's prototype, I changed the tail shape to the Yak-3.
Waiting for some EPP in the mail.
Jun 27, 2010, 11:51 PM
Low and close video from this evening:

PiYak Low and Slow.wmv (1 min 39 sec)
Jun 28, 2010, 06:33 AM
This is the best all around flying plane I own for both goofy and lazy. It beats out the dart types and other NB types as it can do more both in wind and calm. The SD with rudder is pretty close...
Jul 07, 2010, 09:49 PM
I flew three planes this evening. My my 16" Piyak with the 2100Kv turborix f1818 on 2s rhino 460 7035.

I flew my 20" simple delta on 3s 1200Kv BW 610 rhino with LEd strip lighting.

I flew my 20" bullseye RET delta special Dave North wind 16oz thrust turnigy 2730 10A on 2s abf 900's and three little lights from HK.

I started with the PiYak and ended with the SD. Rather breezy starting out at about 12mph and a little gusty to about 8mph with smaller gusts.

Since I am writing in this thread. Which one do you think performed the best? Correct, the lightest one with the smallest, highest Kv motor. It flew great. I only stopped because I ran out of batteries and it was getting towards dusk. I went to the Bullseye and for the first time was disappointed in it as I kept grabbing the rudder on the left stick which only controls the LED's. I finally have enough stick time to desire the left stick for something other than throttle. Finally the SD. It still performs pretty well but had more wing rock and I had to fight it more eventhough the winds had lightened up a bit. I have also learned that big props and slow Kv motors is not the only way to fly low and slow...

I don't know if my further forward elevons make much difference or not and I am not sure but that my elevons might be larger as well than aeronot's as this is a remake of an existing plane of mine.

I have only flown a couple dozen designs, but this want beats them all. I think I also have found my candidate for my 6mm EPP. I think I might try a turnigy 2211 on it even though the shaft is 2mm and the f1818 is 3mm. The tuborix is a rather loud motor.
Last edited by tymbrewolf; Jul 07, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: finished an unfinished sentence. :)
Jul 08, 2010, 06:10 AM
Look outside the Square
Hi Tymbre, thanks for the PM. Here's what I could find on the WB. Aeronot has done a Great Job on the Pi-Yak. The video's are Great.

Bx
Jul 08, 2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks Box. My elevons were off your first set of plans. My elevon forward tips would be 6" from the base of the plane as in the erased lines. Instead of 1/2 cutouts away from the fuse area, I extended to a fuzz over 3/4" to clear the rudder control arm.
Jul 09, 2010, 11:00 PM
You've heard of the fish that got away. Well heres a silly video of PiYak that nearly got away. I decided to try 3s tonight. Of course there wasn't even a breath of air in my neighborhood. Things were different on the ground on the edge of town, and much different aloft. I finally just cut power and hoped I would find it. As luck would have it, it was unscathed and out in the open.

PiYak 3s maiden flight which was nearly the last .wmv (5 min 8 sec)

I had been planning to give this plane just a little more down thrust. With the more umph on 11.1volts it was much more apparent that just a little was needed. I may get another chance in the morning...
Jul 09, 2010, 11:39 PM
It's a fun little plane, for sure. I put up a video here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1272648

Here are some pics...

Gary
Jul 10, 2010, 11:43 AM
Nice to see another one, especially from the Piplane creator!!!!

Here's the remaiden of mine on 3s after a little more down thrust. Flight times are much longer on the 4603s, just barely moving the throttle will keep it in the air. A little more zippy too.

PiYak on 3s.wmv (5 min 32 sec)
Jul 20, 2010, 12:01 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
Ok, you guys motivated me to make another video. I am really having a ball with my piYak. Hope you guys are too!

Mark

More video of the piYak (3 min 41 sec)
Last edited by aeronot; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:43 AM.
Jul 20, 2010, 06:34 AM
Great video. I like the lights too!!! Its my go to plane. I need to build one just a little bit lighter and epp.
Jul 20, 2010, 08:36 AM
Way cool video!

I think I'll go fly my piYak!!
Jul 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
I built a pi bipe once and it flew ok, but it was hard to reference for me in the air. But the Yak fuse would probably help with that. Looks cool!

Mark
Jul 24, 2010, 11:41 PM
I was going to make a whole new plane, but I decided it would be easy to change an already built one first. If I don't like it, It will be simple to take back off unless some unplanned flight issues cause too much damage.

BTW, this is an already great design, in fact it is my favorite.
I have just been wanting a biplane and some what ifs became reality.
Jul 25, 2010, 05:15 AM
Flying Models for 55 Years
Another great model!
Aug 18, 2010, 05:01 PM
A PiYak with a College Diploma! Whoop!
Aug 18, 2010, 05:07 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Woohoo! Now seriously, an Aggie diploma isn't a real diploma...

Ok I'm getting off topic now... but Hook 'em Horns!!!!
Last edited by aeronot; Aug 18, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Aug 18, 2010, 06:12 PM
Here's my latest. Thanks Jim and Mark!
Aug 18, 2010, 06:25 PM
I will have a new plane finished when I get the building bug. I have to be in the right mood. I have the foam cut out, just need assembly and gear placement. It is inspired by about three different planes, the pentaplane, the firefly, and the Piyak. It will be my first completed prop in slot. It won't beat the PiYak, still my favorite plane at the moment, but it might be second runner up.(1st runner up as elevon/rudder planes is my elevon/simple delta) followed by the XP-39.
Aug 29, 2010, 07:23 AM
aeronot can you post a few pictures of your LED Light setup and info on the LED's, size and etc.

Thanks
Bobby
Aug 29, 2010, 06:25 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
the lights are just 5mm LEDs with 1/8 watt 100 ohm resistors on all the non blinkers. No resistors on the blinker. I wire everything parallel with 30 gauge magnet wire. On this model, I buried all the wires and LEDs in the EPP so you can't see anything with pics. Just put a dedicated pair of wires on every LED and terminate all the positives and grounds together with a servo lead and plug it into an open channel on the rx.

None of it really hard, just takes a lot of friggin time. I love the results and being able to fly at night, but I would rather get a hot coffee enima than do the work sometimes!

I try to work lights into the intial build now as it seems to be a little easier working with the smaller pieces of the airframe before they are assembled.

I have thought about putting together a thread sometime on lighting a plane, but I never remember to take pics as I go along. Maybe the next time...

Mark
Aug 29, 2010, 07:22 PM
aeronot Thanks
Aug 29, 2010, 09:09 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Also you can get nice, bright 5mm LED's from www.superbrightleds.com

Mark
Aug 31, 2010, 12:32 PM
aeronot : I ordered a bunch of LED's from www.superbrightleds.com a few months ago Great place to get your LED's

Thanks
Bobby
Sep 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
man of many hats"but none fit"
So, First off i must say thank you so much for a GREAT design! Aeronot
Been building fommies now about a year and this is the best yet as i can fly it in the campground that we host in the summer here in oregon under a heavy canopy of woods. My wife and i are fulltime Rver's so the size is also perfect!
When i built the first one out of 9mm epp all was good so i figured ok, Lets lighten it up a bit. So i built another with 6mm and 3.7 gr servos from heads up rc and used their headsup 250/ 2400kv motor w/7035 prop and 10g esc, small CF tubes x 2, and 6100e rec.... oh and a 500mah blue 7.4 lipo. It weighs 4.9 oz...
I can hardly wait to get some led's on it for this winter in AZ, The night skies are so clear and vast and people out in the dessert can see it from a good distance (really gets em going) LOL
So anyway what do you think of a 12 in w/ a 180,3.7s , and smaller batt ? has anyone tried going way smaller with success? and if so any ideas? I would really like to go smaller and lighter....

Thanks again,Regards, Travlin
Last edited by rverrcer; Sep 28, 2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: left out authors name
Sep 28, 2010, 05:17 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Thanks Travlin, I love my piYak and fly it almost every day still. Great "fly any where any time" plane. If you travel to events, consider coming to our huge indoor event here in West Texas. Your piYak will be at home here with many others of it's kind!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1299276

Mark
Sep 28, 2010, 07:26 PM
hey thanks you never know where i may show up
Oh and here is a couple pics
Sep 28, 2010, 08:23 PM
I would probably stay with a 13 or 14 inch on the 10 gram if using 6mm epp to help make it draggy. Little seems to get exponentially faster.
Sep 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
Yes i agree about the prop size my biggest concern is weight to surface area.... Nothing worse than a brick as they fall to hard
Anyways just thought i'd see if anyone has tried smaller like 10 or 12 or even 14 inch and what their experince was So i am thinking to try 12 in first and adjust from there.... I think the 3gr servos and 180 might just work at around that size as i tried to use it on the 18 in but wasn't enough... although it did barly pull it around

Thanks again, rverrcer
Sep 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
Actually, I was thinking 13"-14" WS not prop size. Although, the biggest prop the motor can safely handle works too for slowflight. I was thinking there would not be much weight difference between a 12" and 14" wingspan, but that the wingloading might be significantly better with the slightly bigger diameter.
Sep 29, 2010, 12:55 PM
Oops ,my bad thought that was a lot for a 180 size lol... But i was considering the same thing: that is, with 14" then cut down if nessasary Or What about removeable rings at 1" intervals say 14 for slo and floaty then remove 1 or 2 for a zippy-yak..... Nahhhh ; much more fun building more!
Oct 29, 2010, 05:02 AM
--Fly By Night--
subscribed
Nov 16, 2010, 06:54 AM
Winging it Ò>
I got to fly a pi Yak at E-Fly last weekend. A very fun little plane. I was surprised how well it flew, nice!
Nov 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
Have one cut out, gotta glue it together

Bobby
Nov 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
Dan, it is still my favorite. There is a version of it for RCDeskpilot (sims forum). It is from my version which I think is just slightly more forward elevons and maybe a tiny bit more elevon area. On RCDC it is called the tymbre discus posts 610-616 about it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=610
Nov 17, 2010, 10:32 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I got to fly a pi Yak at E-Fly last weekend. A very fun little plane. I was surprised how well it flew, nice!
Now that is high praise right there! With all the models you have brought to us foamy guys, an "ok" from Leadfeather is kinda like a check ride with the Wright brothers!

Mark
Nov 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
--Fly By Night--
Well, I spent some time out in the garage tonight and have the airframe completed on my piYak. This plane really is simple to build. I was going to order some epp for this build, but I've got one and a half bundles of FFF available so I just used what I had. I used a couple of cf spars on the bottom to support the wings. I may have to use one on the fuselage near the rudder to keep it from flexing into the elevons also. I won't have much time to work on this again until Saturday evening, but I should be able to maiden it on Sunday. Now I've got to figure out which motor to use. I've got a couple of GWS 2205-15's, a C20 I could steal from another plane, or two Dave North inspired rewound Blue Wonders I could remove from my Nutball or SloFly 28.
Oh, BTW, cg at roughly 25%???
Nov 18, 2010, 11:54 PM
M, 25% is what I fly at
Nov 19, 2010, 07:41 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Anybody EVER fly a disk that wasn't 25% CG ??? They all seem to balance there for me ...
Nov 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
One of the few constants in life perhaps...
Nov 20, 2010, 11:14 PM
Ok, So here's my 14" Lilpiyak and it came out right at 4.5 oz and it flys great! In fact i have to say that after triming and playing with cg it flys so cool that i enjoy it every evening when it gets nice and calm out. i found that at this weight and size i can do more 3d moves like hovering and tourqe rolls easier than any thing else i have! and when i do dump it it comes out undamaged and i just toss it back up and go again Soooo much fun!
Thanks again, John
Oh and if anyone is interested this is my setup 14" dia, 10gr motor, 3- 5gr servos, a 10 amp esc, and 7035 prop with ar 6100 rec
Nov 22, 2010, 06:59 AM
Here is something that started out as an attempt to blend an F3P body (Index2.2) to the circular UFO wing..But the hoped for knife edge didnt work and the tracking in a banked turn was off...
I also used an extended nose to line up the cogs of the original body and circular wing

So out came the knife.. Now its a sorta PiYak54..

Its bigger at 26" span, has a KFm4 section, and raked forward elevons, extended nose..flying at 18oz its fine for outside in calm conditions or in a bit of wind..
Nov 22, 2010, 03:40 PM
--Fly By Night--
Not the best day for a maiden, wind 10mph gusting to 15, but the piYak made it easy!! Only one click each to elevator and aileron trims and she was perfect. I flew 3 batteries packs this afternoon and was able to return home without any damage. I can't wait to try it on a calm day.
Great plane Aeronot! Thanks for sharing.
Oh, BTW, how much throw are you guys using on your elevons? I've got mine set at 100% and the elevator moves 3.5". Is this too much?
Nov 22, 2010, 05:17 PM
beemerdon
Murman, where did you end up getting the EPP? Did you order extra? Is yours the 18" version?

Nice colors!

Don
Nov 22, 2010, 05:31 PM
--Fly By Night--
Don, I just used the blue FFF I had available. I decided I would build one out of that and if I really liked it, I would order some epp and build another.
Nov 22, 2010, 06:05 PM
Nice, I use as full of throws as I can on my elevons. I like doing EPP mounting blocks too.
Nov 22, 2010, 06:27 PM
Mark (Aeronot) brought a new one to Plainview last Thursday. Here are some video clips I got...

Texas piYak (1 min 55 sec)
Nov 22, 2010, 06:33 PM
Who wouldn't want one after that vid. Nice venue for flying too!!!!!!
Nov 22, 2010, 06:51 PM
--Fly By Night--
Quote:
Nice, I use as full of throws as I can on my elevons. I like doing EPP mounting blocks too.
Maybe that's why I copied the idea from your photo above.

I would venture to say that this plane is also the easiest and quickest build I have ever attempted.

BTW, Aeronot, what's the auw for your piYak? Mine may be a little heavy at 7.9oz
Last edited by Murman; Nov 22, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
Nov 22, 2010, 07:31 PM
sr71fan That is sweet Can you post some picks and what motor, esc, prop and battery set up your running Also that s a very cool paint job
Hey, where you been? Haven't seen you here in a while.

Thanks
Bobby
Nov 22, 2010, 07:45 PM
Bobby,

We'll have to ask Mark; it's his... I just posted the video. Maybe he'll chime in here, but I think he's using a BW 1500KV, 9/4.7, and 2S 460 or 500.

I've been busy at home with family stuff, and not posting much. Sure do like them piYaks, though!

WooHoo!

Gary
Nov 22, 2010, 09:54 PM
Murman, funny. But, the epp block takes alot of abuse even if the rest of the plane is depron, foamcore, or fff. By the way, mine is AUW with 2s Rhino 460's around 166g or 5.8 oz. Two more inches would maybe jump a few more grams.

Gary, seeing you posting reminds me that I have had parts for your 23" autogyro forever and still haven't made one.
Nov 22, 2010, 09:56 PM
I flew my AG last Thursday and Friday. Great fun!
Nov 22, 2010, 10:05 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
It is a BW 1500 with either a 9x4.7 or 9x5 GWS prop. 2s 460 Rhino and 3 pico servos. All up weight is 6.2 oz. We have been using the HK plastic motor mount too as it makes the model indestructable for the most part. I have tons of throw so I don't know if you can get "too much" on the elevons. Start out at the 25% mark for CG and gradually work it back for your tastes. If you get it too tail heavy it will almost torque roll hands off, but it will get quite pitchy in forward flight lol

All in all the funnest model I currently have and after flying it almost every day for year, I still ain't tired of it!!

Mark
Nov 23, 2010, 05:50 AM
aeronot Thanks for the info, can you post a few pictures Also Thanks for sharing your piYak and a "BIG Thanks" to sr71fan for starting it all with his piPlane
I like em Round

Bobby
Nov 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
--Fly By Night--
What a great little plane!! I flew 5 battery packs on my piYak yesterday and really put her to the test. I am totally in love with this design! Most of my planes are 3-channel with the rudder or aileron/elevons on the right stick. I had a great time with the piYak discovering new tricks and techniques with the elevons on the right stick and rudder on the left. I was amazed at how much quicker the plane would roll with rudder input. I let a buddy fly it for a short while and he wants me to build him one also. While I'm building him one, I'm gonna build me another with led lights for night flying.
Mark, I think you've created a winner here! Thanks again, Murray
Nov 30, 2010, 11:06 PM
Tried out Frap screen video capture tonight

Piyak on RC Desk Pilot (2 min 4 sec)
Dec 05, 2010, 12:23 AM
ChangeBegins AtTheDinnerTable
I just finished the Maiden flight(s) on one of the pi planes ..its a cross between the dark pi , yak pi and i dont have a clue pi ... flew several packs under the lights of a parking lot and man what fun... Its a little heavy but its a first attempt ...i have been nutballin lately and it was nice to have the elevons and rudder. We had a club build last night after our monthly meeting and the pi went too , hope to get a few more pi's in the club ....its the black and pink splat in the middle of the table ... Now it's time to build a Yak pi ...Name: SAM_0035.jpg
Views: 188
Size: 77.5 KB
Description:
Dec 05, 2010, 08:09 AM
Killowatt, very cool. Wish there was a club near me that looks fun. Where do people get thest splat templates? I have searched for free ones and have came up somewhat empty.
Dec 05, 2010, 08:46 AM
flyin' fool
What kind of paint are you using on those foamies?
Dec 05, 2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Killowatt, very cool. Wish there was a club near me that looks fun. Where do people get thest splat templates? I have searched for free ones and have came up somewhat empty.
The templates i just free hand on a piece of poster board i get it to what looks cool with a pencil and then cut them out with a #11 blade ....i use elmers craft bond to hold it to the foam then spray away...
Last edited by killowatt; Dec 05, 2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Dec 05, 2010, 01:48 PM
goldguy ... On blue dow protection board i use Rustolem painters touch (i get it at Home Depot it's cheap too $3.50 a can) BUT you still must be careful not to spray to heavy , i find that if you mist the first coat it kind of seals it and you can spray the second coat a little heavier ..If you leave the "skin" on you can go a little heavier ...All of the colors are Rustolem except for the purple flames that is Createx airbrush paint (waterbased) and that you can spray at will ...
Last edited by killowatt; Dec 05, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Dec 08, 2010, 06:18 AM
--Fly By Night--
I've got a question about printing the PDF. When I made my first piYak, I cut an 18" circle and then printed the PDF for the fuselage. I used the template to cut out the fuse but when I started putting the plane together I found the fuse was slightly smaller than it should be. I cut the front of the wing to match up with the front of the fuse and it worked just fine. (post #71) Anyway, I will be building more of these for some buddies and was wondering if I need to change the settings on my printer or just adjust the size of the wing circle?
Dec 08, 2010, 08:01 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
I don't know if there is a printer setting you can change, but I would like point out something about the plans. On my prototype and the ones I have built since then, the fuse is significantly taller. Since I never actually used the plans, I didn't notice this until a friend built one from the plans and we saw the difference. In flightthe only notable difference was a tendency for the plans built one to yaw out of hover as opposed to mine. I have meaning to post this but forgot until the plans were mentioned. For anyone interested, mine measure 5" at the nose and about 4.5" where the vertical stab connects to the fuse.

Mark
Dec 09, 2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronot
I don't know if there is a printer setting you can change, but I would like point out something about the plans. On my prototype and the ones I have built since then, the fuse is significantly taller. Since I never actually used the plans, I didn't notice this until a friend built one from the plans and we saw the difference. In flightthe only notable difference was a tendency for the plans built one to yaw out of hover as opposed to mine. I have meaning to post this but forgot until the plans were mentioned. For anyone interested, mine measure 5" at the nose and about 4.5" where the vertical stab connects to the fuse.

Mark
Is this the correct mesurments, 5" Cowl Height, 4.5" where the vertical stab connects to the fuse and how tall is the rudder? Had to use tymbrewolf's
pi Yak picture

Bobby
Dec 12, 2010, 08:52 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
Sorry for the late response, but I have been covered up. Yes that is correct on the measurements. The rudder/fin is 8.25" at it's tallest point. I have attached a side view pic and hope it helps.

Mark