Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Aug 13, 2010, 12:54 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Piper J3's Avatar

1AM - No Wind...


Woke up out of a sound sleep. 72F and no wind, pitch black outside. Two 12-minute flights with PZ 70 mAh supplied LiPo in the street in front of my house. Don't have to work tomorrow - going to fly the Ember in the morning light with my coffee. This is totally cool.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2010, 09:10 AM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3
Woke up out of a sound sleep. 72F and no wind, pitch black outside. Two 12-minute flights with PZ 70 mAh supplied LiPo in the street in front of my house. Don't have to work tomorrow - going to fly the Ember in the morning light with my coffee. This is totally cool.
Love it.
Aug 13, 2010, 04:42 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
How much does the vapor weight?
Aug 13, 2010, 09:15 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
dee-grose's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc
Im toying with the idea of taking some long exposure pictures of the Night Vapor flying. Ive seen some pictures around - kinda artistic "line drawings" in colored light.

Has anyone done this? If so, how was the camera set up (ISO speed, aperture, how long did you open the shutter for etc)? I have a tripod, and a decent Digital SLR.

jc
You mean like these?

Stay tuned for a full Ezone review of the Night Vapor...to be published soon. Trying to get it wrapped up this weekend.

Camera settings were not the best, still need to experiment some more. Using a Canon Digital Rebel XT 18-55mm lens on a tripod in full manual mode. Set to bulb exposure using the remote to trigger the shutter and hold it open until I hit the button to stop the exposure.

The outdoor shots are courtesy of my buddy Napo. He always gets me some good pics for my reviews.

Andy
Aug 13, 2010, 11:30 PM
Mile High Pilot
milehighjc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose
You mean like these?

Stay tuned for a full Ezone review of the Night Vapor...to be published soon. Trying to get it wrapped up this weekend.

Camera settings were not the best, still need to experiment some more. Using a Canon Digital Rebel XT 18-55mm lens on a tripod in full manual mode. Set to bulb exposure using the remote to trigger the shutter and hold it open until I hit the button to stop the exposure.

The outdoor shots are courtesy of my buddy Napo. He always gets me some good pics for my reviews.

Andy
VERY Nice... and yes, exactly like that. Ya beat me to it, that is what Im planning. So based upon those, I may rethink the settings I was considering.

ISO... I was thinking more like 800 or even 1600, but based upon the quality you got Im not so sure about that.

F stop... Looks like it wants to be as wide open as I can get it. I have a Digital Rebel XT, with the kit lens I dont think I can get better than 3.5, good excuse for that 2.8 lens Ive always wanted.

Shutter speed... I dont have a remote, but I was thinking in the 10-15 second range, that looks to be about right, maybe a little longer??

Im hoping to get out with my photography nut daughter sometime this weekend, maybe Ill have something by Sunday night.

Cheers,

jc
Aug 14, 2010, 10:15 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1
Put the UM J-3 Cub motor which is the same size as the Vapor AND even more powerful and you can do all kinds of vertical flying, inside and outside loops and have the power to pull out of gnarly predicaments.

Thank UNGN for that one.
Did you put the Cub motor into the Vapor gearbox or did you swap the whole motor/ gearbox? What prop did you use? My Vapor motor died and I'm about to swap a P-51 motor/ gearbox into my Cub, so I'll have the Cub setup to use on my Vapor
Aug 15, 2010, 07:06 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
I have a vapor that is a little over a year old.

not sure what version of the brick it is. I have heard about the red dot vapor brick, BUT mine has a green circle on it and the numbers 24R5C V05

Does anyone know if this is the same brick as this version of the Vapor/Champ brick?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ3351
Aug 21, 2010, 12:44 PM
In the 20' glider range
anti-gravity's Avatar
I am planning on getting this plane. To me it looks like the lights are plugging into a port that a servo goes in?
So if that is true, would I be able to set a switch to turn the lights off?
Thanks
Aug 22, 2010, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Did you put the Cub motor into the Vapor gearbox or did you swap the whole motor/ gearbox? What prop did you use? My Vapor motor died and I'm about to swap a P-51 motor/ gearbox into my Cub, so I'll have the Cub setup to use on my Vapor
The J-3 motor is the same size as the stock vapor motor, with loads more power.

I have a J-3 motor with vapor gearbox, bsdmicros prop adapter with a micro 4-site prop. Call me weird. The Vapor still flies slow but now seems to have unlimited vertical.

I also have the battery mounted under the RX board.
Aug 22, 2010, 05:21 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Tres Wright's Avatar
Excellent, thanks for the info!
Aug 22, 2010, 05:25 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
can you post a link for that prop adapter please?

the 4-site prop doesnt have any ill effects on the vapor?



Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1
The J-3 motor is the same size as the stock vapor motor, with loads more power.

I have a J-3 motor with vapor gearbox, bsdmicros prop adapter with a micro 4-site prop. Call me weird. The Vapor still flies slow but now seems to have unlimited vertical.

I also have the battery mounted under the RX board.
Aug 22, 2010, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Any deals on vapors/night vapors that anyone knows about?
Aug 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
In the 20' glider range
anti-gravity's Avatar
$99.99
Aug 23, 2010, 01:13 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
can you post a link for that prop adapter please?

the 4-site prop doesnt have any ill effects on the vapor?
Here is the link for the prop adapter. He ships it with two 3/16 rubberbands.
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=665

I'm running the 4-site prop instead of the supplied BSDMicros carbon 5030. The carbon prop definitely sped up the Vapor and I wasn't interested in a hot-rod Vapor.

I haven't noticed any ill affects of the 4-site prop. You will have to hollow out the prop hole a bit to get it on the BSDMicro's prop adapter, then just use the provided rubberbands. With the battery mounted under the RX board, 4-site prop and BSDMicro adapter, the plane is a little nose heavy. It will glide down with a little up elevator.

When outside, I love to crank the throttle and climb vertically then just coast down with no power. The J-3 cub motor seems to give it that "ummppff!" it needs without having to modify the crap out of a perfectly good flyer.

Hope that helps.
Aug 23, 2010, 02:26 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1
I'm running the 4-site prop instead of the supplied BSDMicros carbon 5030. The carbon prop definitely sped up the Vapor and I wasn't interested in a hot-rod Vapor.
Does it have decent power when flown at lower throttle settings on the carbon prop?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New parkzone night flying vapor!!!!! lightspeeddud Micro Ready-to-Fly 65 Nov 17, 2010 07:53 AM
New Product New Parkzone Night Vapor! 3D4life Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 22 Jul 10, 2010 05:27 PM
Discussion Why is this night different from every other night? Michael in Toronto Life, The Universe, and Politics 17 Apr 01, 2010 01:42 PM
Discussion New Night Flying Vapor with pre-installed lights Darth_Elevator Night Flying 0 Mar 18, 2010 05:17 PM
Discussion Thursday Night is Heart Attack Grill night in Chandler AZ Michael Heer Arizona Electric Festival 23 Feb 02, 2010 01:26 PM