Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 13, 2010, 07:54 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Do ya'll have a fixed club sail day....say every 3rd Sat. of the month....or is it a floating date...no pub intended.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2010, 09:57 AM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog985
i have to work on the 17th (nightshift) but have decided to come for a couple hours and just bring 2 or 3 boats. jared, we might want to consider meeting every other weekend. would increase the chances of being able to make a sail each month and might help keep the interest high with more on the water time.
I agree, that is something we need to ok with the staff at the gardens. Let's us & them get used to what were doing now and ease into more run dates a little later.

Do ya'll have a fixed club sail day....say every 3rd Sat. of the month....or is it a floating date...no pub intended

Plans now are to have a fun float the 3rd Saturday of each month, this month is still kinda up in the air. No pub (??) intended. That's ok.....I have those Sr. moments myself.
Apr 13, 2010, 11:13 AM
Restful User
Two floats a month, first and third Saturday, would be fine. We have, what, a half dozen members (those regsitered on the website) and 1/3 of us live out of town (not from B'ham-Hoover) so that might increase the chance of being able to attend one. And, as things usually work, news can be passed around to those not web-fluent.

But see what the Garden staff says. From my one exploratory visit there, I have the impression that it is fine to drop in anytime and sail as individuals, but a whole gaggle of boats is a different situation. This is really a primo place and we need to present the best impressions.

--Bill
Apr 13, 2010, 11:26 AM
"Take the Cannollis"
Weather is looking good this Saturday... I will definitely get up there with Mr. Darby. ( I can only fit the one boat in my car.) You gents are correct about making a good impression, so there will be at least two of us there this first time out.
Apr 14, 2010, 06:52 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
But see what the Garden staff says. From my one exploratory visit there, I have the impression that it is fine to drop in anytime and sail as individuals, but a whole gaggle of boats is a different situation.

--Bill

So are you saying they don't want a lot of boats in the water at the same time?
Apr 14, 2010, 08:05 AM
Restful User
Not at all. We have the ok for a monthly club event, but a group showing up several times a month might wear out our welcome. Remember, this is a botanical garden with limited parking and a 7-acre lake and other scheduled events (like the weddings). I don't think it will be a problem with a club meeting there a couple of times a month or a couple of folks going out and sailing anytime, but we don't need to do too much, too soon.

Attached is an aerial photo of the lake from Yahoo Maps.

--Bill
Apr 14, 2010, 08:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
That makes sense to me. It looks like a real nice place to sail especially in the summer with all the shade available. I look forward to coming up sometime and meeting y'all.
Crash

BTW...you guys know about this? Our club is invited as they are trying to get us to race our Nirvanas. A least a few of us are going to try to make it over to the event this year. Here is the email I got and attachment.

Fellow R/C Boaters

Attached is an announcement for the 3rd Annual Longleaf Regatta. I believe some of your members attended our first event held at Callaway Gardens on Labor day weekend.

Well, we changed our venue and date, because we are sponsoring a outing for the AFLAC Cancer Center Patients and Callaway cannot host another non-profit organization or event. We expect at least 30 children with their parents for the day. And we have a day full of activities for them, but the focus is on sail boat and electric fast boat races as well as model judging.

The Atlanta club is coming but they don't have a large contingent of sheet sailors, which your club seems to .

We'd like to visit your club if you have meeting dates before our event and tell you more about our plans, is that possible.

3rd Annual R/C Model Boat and Seaplane Regatta

Oakhurst Farm, West Point , GA

May 31 2010 7:30 a.m.- 6:30 p.m.

Judging Categories:

- Pleasure craft

- Utility

- Military

Highlights:

- Sailboat building and races in the “Pond”

- R/C boats on display for judging

- Mini-horse cart rides and Hayrides

- Classical car show

- Fishing

- Kite flying

- R/C Seaplane Demonstrations

- Covered Dish Supper for Participants and Guests hosted by the Longleaf Community Volunteers

Prizes/Awards

- Best in Show

- People’s Choice Award

- Concourse Award (best paint finish)

- Prizes will be awarded in each category

- Raffle prizes

-

-

- For Overnight information: Gail Shoop- (888) 626-7872 or email: cortrav@bellsouth.net

Complimentary admission to Oakhurst for registered participants.

Please email or mail your r.s.v.p, including the names of those attending, by May 22, 2010.

Warren Aldrich: wsa211@bellsouth.net

Cell: (678) 860-8765

Montgomery , AL (100 miles) - Take Interstate 85 to Hwy 18 (exit 2). Turn right onto Hwy 18 East and go 6.9 miles to the intersection with Hwy 219 (four way stop sign). Turn right on Hwy 219 South and go .5 miles. The entrance to Oakhurst Farm will be on the left.

Schedule of Events

7:30-9:30 a.m. Early – Birds Pancakes and Sausage

9:00a.m. Modelers Registration

10:00a.m. – 4:30p.m. Fast Electric (RTR) and Sailboat Races, Seaplane Demonstration, Armada of Military Boats, Utility Boat Competition.

4:30 – 6:00p.m. Awards and Prizes, Covered Dish Supper
Apr 14, 2010, 12:28 PM
Restful User
Now that looks like a great event, rather like the SEFF of Boating. It may be too much of a trip for me this year, but I recall it is an annual event, so there'es always next year.

I'd suggest that you repost it here in Dock Talk as an "Alabama-Georgia-Florida Boating Event" with a regional flair. The B'ham and Montg club sails are, in the Big Picture, local events and their regular threads might get skimmed over. I'll post your announcement it at the Central Ala site.

Another lake local to the B'ham area is East Lake in the Eastlake section of town. I grew up a couple of miles away from it and spent many a Summer day there. Attached is an aerial of East Lake.

--Bill
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Apr 14, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Apr 14, 2010, 02:42 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
First meeting is a go at Aldride Botanical Gardens. This Saturday 4/17/10, 9:00a.am. until......

Need for someone to take plenty of pics for the website.....

Sorry, I won't be there, maybe in the afternoon.
Apr 14, 2010, 05:31 PM
MoodyChem
Bill, have you been to East Lake in a while? My grandparents lived on 90th Street, and that area is scary now. Drug deals, prostitutes, etc. at the lake. Not really a family place anymore.
Apr 14, 2010, 08:53 PM
Restful User
Not for 10 years or more. I can imagine-- B'ham has changed a lot in the last few years.

Scratch that lake off the list. Aldrich Gardens are looking good.

--Bill
Apr 15, 2010, 12:49 AM
Looks like a beautiful lake! enjoy your new home!
Apr 15, 2010, 07:23 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyChem
Bill, have you been to East Lake in a while? My grandparents lived on 90th Street, and that area is scary now. Drug deals, prostitutes, etc. at the lake. Not really a family place anymore.

Hey....roll up in your pimpmobile sporting your Tek9 and feel at home...lol

My motto....never be out gunned...AK47...never leave home without it!

That's the way I live
Apr 15, 2010, 12:15 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Your going to need a bigger boat...

Or maybe just more and members to sail them.
The pond is pretty big.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03691&t=h&z=18
Apr 17, 2010, 06:11 AM
Tin Can Sailor
yeah, i enjoy my ak. nothing like it for dependability.