Apr 09, 2010, 06:35 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugs
Check the website:

http://www.aldridgegardens.com/
Click lake house on Virtual tour, very nice.
http://www.aldridgegardens.com/index...tual-Tour.html

Congratulations, just keep the speedsters in line any nitro noise might put off the wedding parties etc. We've had to limit gas boaters to Tues/Thurs/Sat in AM only! at Spreckels Lake in S.F.

Might consider a decorated wedding barge with music to coordinate with the wedding ceremonies. Remember Keith S and his ring bearing boat?

Enjoy the new digs!
Tugs,
Thanks for posting the websites. The photo of the boathouse is where we will be operating from. We were told that the lake was just siting there with no use. The operations office's husband had just purchased a small RC sailboat and the idea was born to put RC on the lake. We may have to suspend operations during a wedding for 30 to 45 minutes, but hey...no problem. Thanks for the feed back guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, no gas boats... they can run at our old place though.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyChem
Congratulations on the new home. As soon as I finish my first boat (sometime around 2014) I'll have to come from Moody and check your new digs out.
Don't wait so long to come around....
Apr 09, 2010, 08:29 PM
Restful User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrider
We were told that the lake was just siting there with no use. The operations office's husband had just purchased a small RC sailboat and the idea was born to put RC on the lake.
I don't do sheetboats, yet, but given the setting at Aldrich Gardens, sailboats would be quite idyllic.

--Bill
Apr 10, 2010, 08:37 AM
Restful User
My, what a pretty day. And a good excuse for a motorbike ride-- I might ride out to Aldrich and check the site out.

And maybe the Lake Purdy site, too-- haven't been to either place in years. Wonder if anyone's planning to be out today?

--Bill
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Apr 10, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Apr 10, 2010, 12:27 PM
Tin Can Sailor
bill,
we will be running anything but gas. the lake is pretty much surrounded by tall trees which is great for shade but it remains to be seen how much wind will be available for good sailing. our club has several scale models and that will probably be what is mostly sailed at first. i have a sv-27 and a equipage daytona 100 that i need to get fixed up. am not sure if there are any other fast electrics in the club at this time. we are looking at the seawind as a possible club sailboat. the lake is really nice and this could be a great partnership for both parties. anyway when we get a schedule grab your toys and come on down.
Apr 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
Restful User
I arrived at Aldrich Gardens noonish today and Ron Womack arrived soon thereafter with two boats-- a Nirvana sailboat and a scratchbuilt power/sail boat. I went along just for the ride and didn't bring any boats.

ALdrich is as beautiful a site as I remembered it and shoudl prove to be a great RC boating site for central Alabama. If I'm not mistaken, Central Alabama RC has it's regular sail on the third Saturday (which is the 17th) and I'll assume that this sail will be at Aldridge (Jared, correct me if I'm wrong!)

--Bill
Apr 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have to say that I am in envy of you.
Most of the ponds or lakes up around the Boston area look nothing like that.
Great find best of luck.
Apr 12, 2010, 07:53 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
That's great news guys!

What's the parking situation like? Distance to the set up spot from the car?

You really should consider the Nirvana as a club boat for several reasons...some of you already have them, they are a good value and since we have a mess of them, maybe we can organize some club vs club events down the road in the near future? That would be cool!

Crash
Apr 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
"Crash" I'd be careful about that challenge. Don't you remember the last time someone from Birmingham came down here for a visit and kicked all our butts!!!

Are you feeling better? We all hope.
Apr 12, 2010, 10:45 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragss
"Crash" I'd be careful about that challenge. Don't you remember the last time someone from Birmingham came down here for a visit and kicked all our butts!!!

Are you feeling better? We all hope.
Yea....he never came back either.....guess he was just trying to see how fast he was...but I don't think that boat was race legal either.

I'm back at work after being out a week...I'm still feeling only about 50%. That is one nasty stomach virus going around. Thanks for asking.

Crash
Apr 12, 2010, 11:38 AM
Restful User
Quote:
What's the parking situation like? Distance to the set up spot from the car?
Parking might be somewhat marginal compared to your site at Blount Park. Parking-to-bankside distance is about 500 feet and I understand that the guard can open the gate and let you in to unload, or help tote stuff in his security golf cart.

A copy of the map from the Garden's tour pamphlet is attached. Parking as at (1), the Boathouse site with nice waterside rock ledges for launch is between (17) and (18), but that site is small, and heavily travelled and might be a problems with onlookers playing "Twenty Questions". It seems to me that the bank to the South of the Boathouse would be better-- shade trees, larger, more off the beaten path.

Quote:
I'm back at work after being out a week
Glad that you're better.
Quote:
Don't you remember the last time someone from Birmingham came down here for a visit...
Plan to be humiliated again.

--Bill
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Apr 14, 2010 at 08:10 AM.
Apr 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
Parking might be somewhat marginal compared to your site at Blount Park. Parking-to-bankside distance is about 1/4 mile, but I understand that the guard can open the gate and let you in to unload, or help tote stuff in his security golf cart.

A copy of the map from the Garden's tour pamphlet is attached. Parking as at (1), the Boathouse site with nice waterside rock ledges for launch is between (17) and (18), but that site is small, and heavily travelled and might be a problems with onlookers playing "Twenty Questions". It seems to me that the bank to the South of the Boathouse would be better-- shade trees, larger, more off the beaten path.

Glad that you're better.
Plan to be humiliated again.

--Bill
Actually, we will be able go to into the Garden to the #15 position and unload. We will then park out by the back gate near the exit.

Bill, I'm waiting on an e-mail about the 17th for our first meeting there. I will e-mail everyone when I find out sonmething.

I won't be able to make next Saturday either way. May try the next weekend.
Apr 12, 2010, 04:23 PM
You can see pictures of our new home here:

http://centralabamarc.webs.com/

Check under the photo page, Bill & Ron were out this weekend........
Apr 12, 2010, 09:59 PM
Tin Can Sailor
i have to work on the 17th (nightshift) but have decided to come for a couple hours and just bring 2 or 3 boats. jared, we might want to consider meeting every other weekend. would increase the chances of being able to make a sail each month and might help keep the interest high with more on the water time.
Apr 12, 2010, 10:47 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Looked at the pictures of the new place, very nice. I think I want to move.