Central Alabama RC has a new home!!! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 08, 2010, 04:48 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
Yippee!

Central Alabama RC has a new home!!!

This sounds to good to be true guys! Several of us from the club went over to Aldridge Botanical Gardens owned by the City of Hoover Alabama today. They had contacted us on our website about coming to tour and possibly run on their 5 acre lake. My gosh, the place is a garden alright, kept in immaculate condition. We would have access to the lake for our runs, regattas and club meetings. A fantastic place.

The area we would use is shaded with rock walls, great for launching, with picnic tables and a boat house. The boat house has soft drink machines and tables inside for lunches meetings etc. These folks want to be the home for Central Alabama RC!! There's talk of the Gardens advertising for us and having a special flag made for our club to be flown at he entrance when we are there!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2010, 05:40 PM
I would wonder what they expect to get in return (not necessarily from the rc'ers). there is no such thing as a free lunch
Apr 08, 2010, 05:45 PM
Owner of SSY
The model boates give a positive use of the lake and facilities and this goes along way when politics are discussed for land use etc.
Apr 08, 2010, 06:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
That's totally awesome! Congratulations, and continued good luck to your club!
Apr 08, 2010, 08:08 PM
Retired for now
That sounds like a dream come true. Maybe they are hopeing you will draw more visitors for them.Must be some food stands there or something they can make a buck on. pete
Apr 08, 2010, 09:44 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Go for it.
Apr 08, 2010, 10:23 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Sounds like a fantastic place. Our club has always had a great relationship with the county parks department. A few things we have learned associating with local government. They will most likely ask your club to display during special events at the botanical gardens. If at all possible do them. You will get good exposure for the club and bureaucrats & politicians have long memories for favors done and refused. Get to know the gardens manager and staff. There was an incident some years ago at a park pond we operated at. A gas boater was running on the pond and cut through a line of a mama duck and her ducklings. A couple of the duckings got the prop treatment and this happened with some small children as witnesses. The park manager already knew this bozo wasn't one of our guys as he was well acquainted with our club. Our prez went down and talked to the manager the next day just to be sure.
Apr 09, 2010, 10:18 AM
As a memeber of the Montgomery model boat club I can tell you from our clubs exposure that it is a big benifit to the park. The park officials have told us we have helped promote the park in a positive way. We have families spread blankets and picnic and watch the boats. The park will be the ones reaping the benifits of you being there.
"Crash" (<- our illustrious leader) can expand on this more.
So treat them well and you will be welcomed back I'm sure.

Give us your schedule. I for one would like to attend.
Apr 09, 2010, 01:35 PM
MoodyChem
Congratulations on the new home. As soon as I finish my first boat (sometime around 2014) I'll have to come from Moody and check your new digs out.
Apr 09, 2010, 01:57 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Congrats on the new home and partnership with a park. Keep it all positive, open, inviting and both your group and the park will benifit. Work with them on special occassions and your group will prosper with having a set place to be seen. And if you opperate there all the time on a regular schedual---might just have a large captive audience most of the time. Good job!
Apr 09, 2010, 02:08 PM
Picture of the new lake?
Apr 09, 2010, 03:33 PM
Check the website:

http://www.aldridgegardens.com/
Click lakehouse on Virtual tour, very nice.
http://www.aldridgegardens.com/index...tual-Tour.html

Congratulations, just keep the speedsters in line any nitro noise might put off the wedding parties etc. We've had to limit gas boaters to Tues/Thurs/Sat in AM only! at Spreckels Lake in S.F.

Might consider a decorated wedding barge with music to coordinate with the wedding ceremonies. Remember Keith S and his ring bearing boat?

Enjoy the new digs!
Apr 09, 2010, 04:19 PM
Is life for real?
Congrats WR, that sure is a nice place to run your boats. Boo
Apr 09, 2010, 04:19 PM
Restful User
Quote:
This sounds to good to be true guys! Several of us from the club went over to Aldridge Botanical Gardens
Hey! That sounds great-- I've been to Aldridge Gardens before and it is a beautiful spot.

--Bill
Apr 09, 2010, 05:11 PM
Congrats, just checked Google Directions, Hoover is 567miles from my house. Says 9hr 34mins,but I bet I could do better.