HMAV Bounty 1/110 scale - RC Groups
Apr 08, 2010, 03:26 PM
Square-rigger
Build Log

HMAV Bounty 1/110 scale

After Constructos St. Helena exceeded my wildest expectations when converted to RC, i couldn`t walk past another Constructo kit of the same series (same solid hull), the 110 scale Bounty.
So i guess the how small can you go still stands but this time not for a Brigantine but rather a full rigged ship

The Specs are the same as St.Helena,

Length on deck: 26cm / 10.2in
Beam: 7cm / 2.75in
Displacement: 350g / 12.35oz
sail area 4,21dmē / 65,33sqin
RC will be 1 x HS81 (had no more HS56s sitting around) Fore yards, 1 x HS81 Main & Mizzen yards + spanker and 1 x HS50 servo for rudder.

i`ve already carved out the hull, this time in about 20 minutes with a big drill. i`m pretty happy with it because it`s only 1/2 the weight of the last one at 75g
i`m hoping to use St.Helenas keel for a start, so i might end up with a bit less displacement overall and thus a higher freebord, as Bouty doesn`t have bullwarks all around her deck but only where teh 4 carriage guns are and at the waist she only got an open rail... so i`ll have to thnink on how to get the deck to hull seal better t ahn on the other ships.
My current thinking is to put inside the hull a strip of sealing foam and under the deck "hatch a striangular strip of wood with the perpendicular to the deck facing the foam strip that kind of clips into the hull. To install it you can slightlybend teh deck piece and tehn snap it in place.. or so is the theory at least.

i`m now installing the servos and the under deck fairleads.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2010, 12:59 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Arggh, if anyone but you had tried this, twoud be a Bligh(t) against the Sea.
Apr 09, 2010, 03:35 PM
One of the Bounties was sailing around in Baltimore today. Got a pic for you.
Apr 09, 2010, 06:06 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Very nice, Captmsr. Have you sailed aboard her? I see on their site that one can book passage.
http://www.tallshipbounty.org/

When I Googled hms bounty replica, it appears the 1960's ship is/was for sale:
http://www.tradeboss.com/default.cgi...ounty_Replica/

Some history of ship and replicas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bounty

MB, Will your friends make you a tropical isle to float in your pond? A remarkable RC ship deserves a remarkable cruise destination, don't you think? Even a piece of styrofoam might look good if preceded by enough grog :-). Neat build, you are industrious.
Apr 10, 2010, 06:07 AM
Square-rigger
I find it funny that a full size replica is built 20% larger in dimensions and nearly twice in tonnage.. that makes scale modeling sometimes a bit absurd

i'll have to see about the floating island idea rigth now the only things floating in teh ponds would be icebergs.. we have had one cold front after the other putting lots of arctic air onto the continent.. not very enjoyable for sailing or anythign outside for that matter. Doesn't keep teh jumpers from jumping tho and i'm pretty busy lying NATO troopers for training. Thats why there has been so little progress since teh first pic

i can't wait to see if that little thing will be able to work to windard!
Apr 16, 2010, 01:56 AM
Square-rigger
The build is slowly progressing,not because of difficulty but rather lack of time/motivation as we are crazy busy right now at work. oh well but with such a small model you see a light at teh end of the tunnel pretty quickly
So i installed teh headrail and the bullwarks. the fore deck and made the rest of the deck pieces. i`ll have to paint teh hull before i can start installing the rudder and after the rudder the qaurterdeck.

I finalized the below decks run of braces and sheets, with both sets of braces running aft i`m hoping to get the least interference. the Main braces will run up teh mizzen and then forward to the main yard in lie of running from the deck to the yard directly, the Mizzen yards will be directly coupled to the main yards.

The spanker sheet is running via a pvc tube to the quarter deck but i don`t know how effective this is going to be with no boom on the sail... so maybe i`ll have to think of something to connect the gaff boom with the sheet as well, sort of a Y to prevent it from swinging too far out when sheeted in.
Apr 18, 2010, 05:13 PM
Square-rigger
Bounty is continuing with baby steps... but there should be some more progress within this week.
Apr 22, 2010, 01:37 AM
Square-rigger
still going but even slower.. finished hinging and actuating the rudder, so i'll be able to install the aft part of the decking over it. i hope it won't fail on me later on because access is gonna be quite some surgery.
Apr 22, 2010, 06:01 PM
Square-rigger
some more progress.. doesn`t look like much
Apr 22, 2010, 09:37 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Do you find your fingers get smaller, via a Darwinean process, as you progress to smaller and smaller square riggers? :-). She looks good, MB, the wales add a lot to the realism of the hull.
Apr 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
Square-rigger
ah no.. but they stick to the model more often than with a bigger model
Apr 28, 2010, 06:10 PM
Square-rigger
still extremely slow going... i`m a bit struck down right now with my birch allergy and a sinusitis on top of that.
i`m still thinking if i should add the channels or not and in consequence if i`m gonna have any standing rigging... i kind of would like to have but i`m a bit worried about yard angle and thus sail performance if i install the shrouds.
Apr 28, 2010, 09:31 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Well, I think it looks good...the camera always adds pounds to humans and flaws to models :-). My closeups always seem to show dust particles the scale size of golf balls :-/
---------
Regarding shrouds: can you get black or brown elastic thread? Perhaps the stretchyness would allow yard swing. The course yard has a good leverage on the shrouds - in enough wind I think the yard might shove a stretchy shroud aside. I notice that the upper yards of my larger squareriggers will shove the backstays aside, for instance, and the backstays are not even stretchy.

Or you could invent some other tensioner/releaser. You need slackness in the shrouds on the leeward side. And maybe only slackness for the leading shroud (which was called the swifter) since that's the one that would impede yard swing. A)If the leeward swifter were tied to the windward brace somehow, then as the brace slackens, it would slacken the leeward swifter. It'd be a more complicated rigging setup, but for scale shroud accuracy, it might be worth doing :-) B) tie off the upper end of the swifter to the yard, not the mast (run the swifter through a bullseye on the mast, then tie to the yard. As the yard swings, it will loosen the swifter on leeward side, and tighten on windward side. The geometry would need experimentation. This method might reduce light wind performance if the swifter tugs too hard on the windward side of the yard.

Leaving off a leading shroud or 2 would also give you more yard swing.
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 28, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Apr 29, 2010, 03:32 AM
Square-rigger
actually i`m not so much worried about the angle i get from the yard, but rather the foot of the courses. i`ll see what it will do once teh masts are up and the yards hinged. i can still install the shrouds then if i still find the motivation
The use of elastic is a good idea as well as leaving the forward most shrouds off, i`ll have to see how much travel that will give.

i`m gonna try and use Stuns'ls on Bounty too as she has quite a bit less sail area than St.Helena and so should be pretty stiff which will be good as it allows full sail in higher winds (St.Helena is capable of sailing under full sails in surprisingly high winds!) and with the stuns'ls i'll get almost the same sail area as Helena i`m thinking i`ll have to use the Spektrum Radio on this one so i can sail both of them at the same time. i`m thinking they will be a pretty sight on they will be a pretty sight on the water together even tho Helena is going to sail circles around Bounty most probably

I recently started taking up Heli flying again teaching andrea, she hasn`t crashed any yet but i did so i tore down a T-Rex that i wrecked and have now again some HS56s available. i`ve already pulled teh HS81s out as they are overkill in such a small ship and i`m gonna install the smaller HS56s tonight, the good thing is that they allow staggered installation and with both brace runs going aft i should have a pretty tangle safe environment down below. The Change also saves also about 20g of weight.
May 03, 2010, 06:46 PM
Square-rigger
So today i finaly got to do some more on bounty. I finalized the RC installation. The only thing left to do is to install eylets on the servo arms and install the sheets / braces
I also got to do the hatches, the waist is a friction fit hatch that will be semi permanently sealed down with scotch tape as this should only need to be opened when there is maintenance to be done. The after part of teh deck will be glued down and i made a hatch thats closed via the Capstan to access the akku. now i need to do all the deck furniture and then its rigging time