• Multiplex Easy Glider Pro
  • Multiplex Cularis
  • Park Zone Radian
  • RaidenTech (any model)
  • Thunder Tiger Windstar
  • Hobbico Upstar Electric 2M
  • CMP Ventus
  • Other, please tell us which one.
For a beginner with high aspirations and FPV in mind.
Last edited by SquireM; Apr 07, 2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Trying to get the voting feature to work.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2010, 10:21 AM
People are using the easystar with easy glider wings as fpv now, i guess its working pretty good.
Apr 07, 2010, 11:21 AM
fmw
fmw
I would vote for one of the Multiplex ARF models. I think any model with a motor and ESC supplied by the manufacturer is money wasted. Find a good ARF and put good stuff in it. Even if you destroy the plane, the good stuff can go along to its replacement.
Apr 07, 2010, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw
I would vote for one of the Multiplex ARF models. I think any model with a motor and ESC supplied by the manufacturer is money wasted. Find a good ARF and put good stuff in it. Even if you destroy the plane, the good stuff can go along to its replacement.
So you DO or DON'T like the Multiplex ARF models? They all come with motors and ESCs.
Apr 07, 2010, 01:26 PM
eflyguy
No they don't.

I bought the "glider" version so that I would not be paying for something I did not need.

That said, I have purchased two Radians with motors (although I threw away the provided prop) - the motor/ESC provided is ideal for that particular model.
..a
Apr 07, 2010, 03:40 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
That said, I have purchased two Radians with motors (although I threw away the provided prop) - the motor/ESC provided is ideal for that particular model.
..a
Which prop do you prefer on your Radians, Andy?
Apr 07, 2010, 05:43 PM

Electro Junior S

For best value in a nearly 2-meter foamy ARF with a high quality motor and folding prop, my vote goes to the Graupner Electro Junior S.

Hobby Lobby sold out quickly when this was introduced last year but their web site says they're due back at the end of April. A real bargain at $120.
Apr 07, 2010, 08:56 PM

Graupner EJS

Another vote for the EJS.
Apr 07, 2010, 09:33 PM
I have the Radian and I think it's great. I also have a Banana Hobby Sky Surfer (EZ* clone) and it's also a good glider. I haven't had the chance to try and thermal it yet but I think it will do pretty well. I also ordered a Thunder Tiger E-Hawk 1500 which is was on sale a few days ago..
Apr 07, 2010, 10:24 PM
I have flown a couple of the Graupner birds and I have a Radian

I will say that the "out of the box" climbing ability is off the chart and I have not seen any others that will out thermal it in light to no lift

The only changes I made was to push the battery back as far as it will go and spray painted the bottom of the wing black so that it was easier to see with some of the high white clouds blending with it

or windy days put a piece of round rod (Home Depot/Lowes) cut to length into the wing tube and you have your ballast to about 15MPH

BTW Plug & Play $160 and RTF 2.4 $250 For me the P&P is the way to go if you already have a multi plane radio
Last edited by Terror Dactyl; Apr 07, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Apr 07, 2010, 10:54 PM
EJS gets another vote, since you asked for price.. It's a really good glider too.
Apr 07, 2010, 11:13 PM
St. Louis
The Radian would be hard to beat, floats beautifully, forgiving and will climb straight up with the factory prop. The threads and comments about other prop selections split hairs and just re-visit the old amp-draw vs. performance argument. Climb on the wing not on the motor. How many full-sized aircraft can climb straight up? Lets get real here!

Choose what is important to you and the choice will change. Float/Penetration will call for a different choice in aircraft. All that really matters is how YOU will need to fly the airplane. Weigh this against all that you read, even your next door neighbor will have a different choice of flying conditions.
Apr 09, 2010, 06:26 AM

Straight UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird
The Radian would be hard to beat, floats beautifully, forgiving and will climb straight up with the factory prop. The threads and comments about other prop selections split hairs and just re-visit the old amp-draw vs. performance argument. Climb on the wing not on the motor. How many full-sized aircraft can climb straight up? Lets get real here!
A lot, F4's, F15's, F16's, F18's, SR71, U2/TR-1's The Shuttle's going straight up is just plain fun, not the most efficient but who is looking for that...

Wylie
Apr 09, 2010, 09:37 AM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird
.......How many full-sized aircraft can climb straight up? Lets get real here!........
How many fly on single cylinder semi-diesel engines burning alcohol & nitromethane. How many fly with a wad of rubber wound tightly for power? How many fly with no control or pilot as in free flight? How many are put into flight by launching them like a discus? Just saying,but this could go on ad nausem.
Apr 09, 2010, 03:04 PM
Speed, give me all I need ...
Stay away from CMP Ventus it is a brick. Cularis is too big for a beginner and has bad stalling habits. Easy Glider Pro would be my choice with a combo from HK, it will cost you 1/3 of Multiplex price and will do the same job. For FPV the best is Easy Star.

Quick Reply