Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekubiaks View Post
There are a few guys that fly with the CG that far back and don't seem to be having issues. The plans call for the CG to be at the front (nose side) of the servo wire channel. It doesn't seem like much, but 30mm is pretty significant in these aircraft. An aft CG, like where yours is located, tends to be less stable and may feel a little "Squirrely"
It's not squirrely at 30mm. It's more neutral on pitch axis but still has some positive
stability unless you put it in a vertical dive. Judge for yourself if any of my
flights looks squirrely. http://www.vimeo.com/user286460/vide...er/sort:newest
or hercdriver's
FPV 2 - Air to Ground.mov (4 min 47 sec)

CG at the servo wire slot is severely nose heavy. It'll fly, but not very efficiently
and will pull up with increase in airspeed which usually means constantly
changing pitch with throttle changes.

Honestly I don't believe it's possible to break the wing "in normal flight" unless there's
some pre-existing flaw in the foam or the bottom of the joiner box isn't glued in
or something. Without a flight video I can't offer any other hypothesis.
I've never seen anything resembling "tail flutter" on the SW.

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Jun 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by woodbear
starzen, mandis, ScooterInVegas and metalfred:
I think you are all right in my faulty prop mounting :P
I honestly didn't think that one through...
After reading your answers I went out in the car to get the plane. I tested it first, and just held my hand behind the prop to feel the wind from it, then I mounted the prop the other way... Oh daaamn!! That was a big difference!
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping to get some time for it tonight

henkvdw: I "fly" it with a 3S 5000mAh Turnigy NanoTech and one 2200mAh NanoTech for video.

Since I noticed that my prop was mounted the wrong way I will not upload a picture of it, but instead I will update y'all after my first successful flight tonight!!

Thank You All for great tips and a very helpful hand
I haven't really posted that much here on rcgroups, but I will definitely post more from now on!!
I will also share videos from my beautiful country for everyone to see!! :P

See you later

-Woodbear-
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by rsowder

Hard Landing

Yesterday I had a friend film my plane as I made a hard landing. He filmed it at 300 fps so you can see how durable this plane is. This plane has had no structural modifications at all and it has over 50 flight hours on it. It's the V2 Skywalker:

Hard Landing (0 min 37 sec)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by al1242
I should be flying right now!
I always land mine like that, is that a hard landing?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by vertcnc
rsowder,

That one of the coolest videos on here. Looked a little hard, but not bad. Sure is some flex in the wings and tail feathers.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by rob38
jo

Meybe it,s not only a bad wing
Some wings have good foam
And some wings are make from bad foam

Rob
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob38 View Post
jo

Meybe it,s not only a bad wing
Some wings have good foam
And some wings are make from bad foam

Rob
I think that is a possibility.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by My_design
At least you were flat. Now throw up a 300fps video of something coming in nose first! That would be something to see!

-B
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1242 View Post
My thoughts exactly.

ian
Old Jun 27, 2011, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by vegasbs
AMA #535918
Quote:
I wish I always landed that good.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by rob38
when sky walker v4 have a 5 cm longer
Nose,we can fly whit 1400 gram totall weight
Then every sw landing soft

Rob
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Flying low is expensive.
I am putting together a shopping list for my NIB skywalker. I was originally going to use some $6 servos from HK that i saw on the 1.2ghz FPV thread. They are known to be unphased by FPV noise for 1.2 ghz and don't glitch. However, people here presented the question of "Why use 4 dollar servos on a 500 dollar plane?"

So I looked around and found that ServoCity has HS-81s for around $13 http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-81_micro.html

The $6 servo from HK recommended by the 1.2 thread
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...314&aff=138637

And $9 EMAX servos from Value Hobby, also recommended by the 1.2 thread:
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...hp?item_id=104

Anyone have opinions on this? I figure that I'm going to need 4 servos for regular control. Later I'll possibly need 2 more for flaps and/or 2 more for pan/tilt. That's up to 8 servos. Even at $9 a servo, that's over $70. I'm working of a high school student's type of budget so I'm inclined to stay out of the $20 servos.

I'd really like to use extremely high quality stuff, but I don't have the money for it. Would those EMAX servos be a good compromise?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Well, I could have landed a little harder but that does show the flexibility of these wings.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Flying low is expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsowder View Post
Well, I could have landed a little harder but that does show the flexibility of these wings.
Great video. If that was the V2, why is the wing mod all that necessary? That doesn't even have the "new" addditional spar at the dihedral joint. How heavy is your SW? Maybe that makes a difference. If you're flying the non-reinforced V2 with no issues, a V3 shouldn't have many problems, either.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Great video. If that was the V2, why is the wing mod all that necessary? That doesn't even have the "new" addditional spar at the dihedral joint. How heavy is your SW? Maybe that makes a difference. If you're flying the non-reinforced V2 with no issues, a V3 shouldn't have many problems, either.
My planes AUW comes in at just over 2,000 grams. The V3 has an additional spar at the outboard section of the wing, but it does not connect to the main spar. So, it's pretty much window dressing. I think there is a possibility that some are getting wings that could possibly have imperfections in the foam. Maybe some air pockets. That's just speculation on my part as I have not seen a damaged wing in person.