Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
May 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86
hey guys, how to connect the pan with the rudder, so I look in the turn direction?
Just Y-harness 'em to the same channel.
Last edited by Blueshy; May 12, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2011, 06:49 PM
Nakelp
nakelp86's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy
Just Y-harness 'em the the same channel.
Thx that was easy :-)
May 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
Registered User
BushmanLA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86
Thx that was easy :-)
Or a channel mix on your radio if you have that option.
May 12, 2011, 08:10 PM
Flying low is expensive.
pdiddyg40's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA
Or a channel mix on your radio if you have that option.
Yepp. The Y-harness will be easier, but you could assign the rudder as the master channel, and the pan servo as the slave.
May 12, 2011, 08:13 PM
Nakelp
nakelp86's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA
Or a channel mix on your radio if you have that option.
Thx but now we are getting into science
May 12, 2011, 09:31 PM
RC Connectors dot com
glenn2626's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
topped it with a super slippery plastic covering (used to cover fences/guides on power tools like table saws and make them really slippery), that rests against the bottom of the big round servo arm that the Hero sits on. It's smooth and solid.
UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic is the stuff - in case people were wondering.

Great for woodworking jigs and fixtures, and in this case, a novel use for it. It's 'slickery' as Dubya would probably say. (or at least Will Farrell doing his imitation of Dubya).

Glenn
Latest blog entry: Lower shipping prices!
May 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
FPV maidened SW#2 this dark and dreary looking evening. I think my rubber motor
isolation mounts worked really well, and I'm very happy with the stabilized pan
underneath my GoPro. It's smoother with the head tracker than I expected (it's
a very fast servo so I thought it might be jumpy) and rock solid in the wind.
Now I just need to get something aerodynamic behind the HD camera because
I know it's slowing me down. Cutting together a video now.

ian
May 12, 2011, 09:40 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2626
UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic is the stuff - in case people were wondering.

Great for woodworking jigs and fixtures, and in this case, a novel use for it. It's 'slickery' as Dubya would probably say. (or at least Will Farrell doing his imitation of Dubya).

Glenn
Yep, that's the stuff. This is what I bought.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...s-3-Width.aspx
It has a good self adhesive back, is fairly thick and stiff and really slick.
That against the bottom of this big round horn (almost as big as the bottom
of the GoPro) makes for a very low friction bearing.

Might be able to get a thin strip to stick to the bottom of the fuse to use as a
landing skid.

ian
May 12, 2011, 09:42 PM
Registered User
CaliDave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
FPV maidened SW#2 this dark and dreary looking evening....Cutting together a video now.
May 13, 2011, 12:00 AM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Here we go. It was cold and dreary but that meant the wind was light and smooth.
FPV - Skywalker - Ridgerun with pan on HD cam (6 min 26 sec)

I'm very happy with the GoPro pan mount. I saw no shaking from the wind,
the HS-5245MG servo is fast but moves smoothly, and the motor mount's rubber
bushings seem to have eliminated vibes. I saw none in the video of this 20 minute flight.
I love having pan on the HD camera. I was slope soaring the ridge for a while,
(many of the later dives in the vid were unpowered) and it's so nice to be able
to point the camera in the direction of travel while crabbing across the wind.

ian
May 13, 2011, 12:38 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
I love having pan on the HD camera. I was slope soaring the ridge for a while,
(many of the later dives in the vid were unpowered) and it's so nice to be able
to point the camera in the direction of travel while crabbing across the wind.

ian
Awesome, now go get some HD video with panning on those hang gliders you normally fly with.
May 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy
Awesome, now go get some HD video with panning on those hang gliders you normally fly with.
Ya, that's pretty much what got me into the SW in the first place, my
desire to film the PGs and HGs in HD with a GoPro mounted on a pan servo
and not have to worry about carrying that weight, or room for gear, or a fussy CG, like
on most flying wings.

BTW, current SW with the GoPro pan mount and servo, plus some other goodies
inside, weighs 61oz with a 4000mAh 3S pack. First one was like 58oz.

ian
May 13, 2011, 02:13 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
BTW, current SW with the GoPro pan mount and servo, plus some other goodies
inside, weighs 61oz with a 4000mAh 3S pack. First one was like 58oz.

ian
Interesting, mine weighed 66 oz before I switched to those nylon bolts. Those metal screws just weighed in at 3 oz which means that my current SW AUW is 1787g or about 63 oz. I bet I could cut a few oz if I got rid of some of the useless stuff and redid the wiring, but I may just be too lazy to do it.
May 13, 2011, 02:35 AM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
BTW, here's some pics of the GoPro mount as flown.
The black base is the round servo arm, and the two wall hooks are
screwed into it very solidly. Points of the screws are ground off flush with
the bottom so it can ride smoothly on the slick surface below.
Can use anything as a hold-down, including strong rubber band, velcro strap, tape
or a zip tie. My goal was not so much to keep it on (the velcro on the bottom
does that), but to hold it solidly so it does not rock fore and aft.
This works very well for that. The tape you see is not even stuck to the camera,
only to itself, but it holds the camera very well.

ian
May 13, 2011, 03:58 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Points of the screws are ground off flush with
the bottom so it can ride smoothly on the slick surface below.

ian
How did you get the black to stay flush with the white? Is there like a spring on the other side pushing the servo down to keep both surfaces in contact?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Best plane for FPV while on vacation? patricklupo FPV Aircraft 24 Nov 23, 2014 03:56 PM
Cool FPV plane rescue with an FPV truck :-) AnthonyRC FPV Aircraft 17 Feb 24, 2008 10:45 PM
For Sale Skywalker plane and a bunch of extras moody07747 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Sep 19, 2006 09:34 PM
Discussion Aviator Skywalker RC plane given to me moody07747 Electric Plane Talk 46 Sep 12, 2006 11:45 AM