Apr 04, 2010, 12:01 PM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Thread OP
New Product

FMS F4U Corsair 1400mm EPO Warbird

Have heard on the grapevine that FMS are developing yet another big foamie in the form of a F4U Corsair. A european website is already listing the mini version which is yet to be released, apparently the Corsair will be coming after the big P-47, Spitfire and Bf 109 which are scheduled to be released later this month

NOW THIS IS A PLANE THAT I MUST HAVE!

Scheduled release is for August 2010

FAQ's

Where to buy: Aerialhobby, PW-RC, RC-Castle, Nitroplanes(Airfield brand), Ready2fly, ChargedRC, XtremeRC

Battery sizes: 2200-4500 mAh 20-30C 4S

Prop replacement/upgrade: 13x8-13x10 2 blade

Motor replacement/upgrade: Stock G&C 3648 520-600kv, Turnigy SK 4250 650kv, Turnigy SK 5055 580kv

Stock ESC has in some cases reported to have had problems, this is a manual that has been reported to work for programming http://www.giantcod.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=888

Advisable to run an External BEC 3A minimum or atleast an ESC that uses a SWITCHMODE onboard BEC.

CG has been revised by FMS and is now recommended at 90mm from the leading edge. (Was originally 125mm with many reports saying it was just way to tailheavy and nose weight needing to be added) personally I have mine at 87mm from LE.

FMS Airfield CORSAIR F4U (Modified): Full Flight & Box Review (10 min 25 sec)

Last edited by jbc; Jun 12, 2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2010, 12:37 PM
Tally Ho!
Hahaha FMS is filling the gap we all were hoping would be filled !!

KM
Apr 04, 2010, 01:08 PM
Kinda curious what kind of wing flex we are going to see with a large bent foam wing.

One thing is for sure, I am gonna need another job and a larger garage.
Apr 04, 2010, 11:34 PM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Thread OP
Bigger garage, bigger house, more money lol that's a good point about possible wing flex it's not like you can simply just whack a CF tube in it, maybe it'll be be nice and beefy in close to the fuselage and then a flat strip out to the wingtips
Apr 05, 2010, 06:11 AM
MYC
MYC
Inconceivable!
They need to slap some EPS into their molds so we can glass these easier. Then the wing would be plenty strong
Apr 05, 2010, 07:13 AM
Tally Ho!
Eerm.... ever heard of epoxy resin which you can just brush on the entire wing ?? no need for glassing then...

KM
Apr 05, 2010, 07:32 AM
MYC
MYC
Inconceivable!
Just adding epoxy resin would do little more than provide some dent resistance KM. The glass/epoxy combo gives the strength to turn foam into a solid aircraft. I have been doing this for years, starting with Combat Models planes in the 90's, and more recently with FlyFly jets, proper application adds very little weight for awesome gains in strength and airframe rigidity
Apr 05, 2010, 07:42 AM
Tally Ho!
Ah okay !! i use clear resin which i mix with some glass fiber, but not like a thick weaved mat.

stays light and strong like that. However not on all planes mind you, the really small epo eps foam planes i dont use it on cuz of weight ratio.

KM
Apr 05, 2010, 08:07 AM
MYC
MYC
Inconceivable!
If you can get .5oz f/g cloth by you, try it... you'll like it At .5oz for the entire yard (3' x 3') there would be little added from resin alone and this amount should be enough to cover a 1400mm bird like this one.

I can't wait to see this one. I love my Parkzone Corsair and the step up in size is going to be nice!
Apr 05, 2010, 08:10 AM
Tally Ho!
Thanx, ill try to find some !!

Indeed the corsair is on my wish list too, i wanted a new one after crashing my FSK f4-U...

And this size might even allow for a folding wing mod.... who knows !

KM
Apr 05, 2010, 08:17 AM
MYC
MYC
Inconceivable!
That would be cool. I need a machine shop The fold up part would be easy enough, heck until I added carbon to the mustang it was trying to fold the wings up... in flight!
Apr 05, 2010, 08:37 AM
Nice for a foam 40 size corsair, but aside from maybe easier to repair then balsa, I dont need one as Ive got both the Kyosho 40 size Corsair with fiberglass fuse/center wing and the H&M Performance Corsair.
Ive not built the H&M one yet, but the Kyosho is a great flier. Too bad they stopped making them because it flies better the most 60 size planes even though it weighs the same as a 60 size.

I did find a listing for a kyosho corsair on ebay. Grab it while you can cuz you probably wont see another one for a long time if ever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-F4U-Corsa...item20b04faa27
Apr 05, 2010, 08:46 AM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Thread OP
MYC why do you say EPS??? I wouldv'e thought EPO would be just as easy to glass
Apr 05, 2010, 09:09 AM
zup
zup
jbc
the EPO would have to be filled in with featherweight spackling compound thinned with water and sanded down before applying the fiberglass and expoy.
zup
Apr 05, 2010, 09:12 AM
MYC
MYC
Inconceivable!
EPO doesn't sand as well as EPS and as such the texture tries to show through the glass. Also, the z-poxy doesnt seem to stick as well either. Oh, and EPS is lighter to start with...

AND I was beaten to the answer by Zup

Quick Reply