Landing light set up problem - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 04, 2010, 10:37 AM
Help!

Landing light set up problem

I'm in the middle of completing a micro model and have made a LED landing light for it which works fine only problem I need it to turn on and off through my Gear channel. At the moment it stays on when plugged in but wonít turn off?
I'm no electronics guru but I do like to dabble and have a go with some basic stuff and when it works its great and when it donít its just a matter of going back to the drawing board.

At this point I thought this was going to be pretty basic but obviously I have missed something major. Activating my "Gear" switch on and off isnít corresponding to my LED doing the same, it just stays on.

Can someone help me out here please?
It might be a basic circuit to make up or maybe I have missed something on my radio which happens to be a JR9303?

John
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2010, 12:03 PM
The servo signal output is a constant pulse, you can't directly connect loads
to it, might damage it. You need an RC switch, many types out there.
Apr 04, 2010, 12:20 PM
One cheap and easy way to try it is use the guts from an old servo. Connect the LED across the disconnected motor wires. It should light up with the servo set to one direction and off the other way.

You generally need to set the output shaft in the center for this to work correctly. You also need a low power LED and/or a current drop resistor to keep the board from burning out.

You would be surprised how much the resistor can drop the current for very little reduction in brightness. My own tests with standard LEDs had a draw over 200MA. With the resistor that can be cut from 2-3MA.

If you have current draw problems you can try this mod:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1198419
Last edited by Cougar429; Apr 04, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Apr 04, 2010, 02:04 PM
John, use the search option to locate previous post - RC navigation lights and / or RC switch should provide you with answers you need
Apr 04, 2010, 05:51 PM
Or a cheap brushed ESC..
..a
Apr 04, 2010, 06:42 PM
Itís funny because after I posted my problem it dawned on me why the LED wouldnít turn off through the receive so I immediately thought of an old micro servo that could possibly do the job.
I appreciate all the comments and helpful tips, I'm thinking of gutting a micro servo and going down that path. Should be straight forward.
Apr 06, 2010, 07:24 AM
A small used brushed ESC is much cheaper and simpler..
..a
Apr 07, 2010, 10:51 AM
Not if you have a stack of this kind of servo laying around...