Apr 01, 2010, 06:58 PM
Discussion

Is this "hybrid" radio mode ideal for flying Helis ?.

To use contemporary term, I call this a "hybrid" mode.
The left stick knob is for rudder or tail rotor in case of helis.
Right stick is throttle.
I only have partial use of my right arm due to a motorcycle accident when I was a teenager.
I wish there is a manufacturer for this radio configuration.
What do you think heli flyers ?.
I am an airplane flyer with occasional helis.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2010, 07:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Do you have the use at least one finger on each hand? Thats pretty much all you need to fly a heli with a standard radio. Many radios come in Mode 1 which is throttle right stick, cyclic left stick. Are you trying to fly with two seperate radios with one stick each? Sounds interesting, please give more info.
Apr 01, 2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidcanary
Sorry to hear about the accident. Do you have the use at least one finger on each hand? Thats pretty much all you need to fly a heli with a standard radio. Many radios come in Mode 1 which is throttle right stick, cyclic left stick. Are you trying to fly with two seperate radios with one stick each? Sounds interesting, please give more info.
Thank you rabidcanary,
No, I am not trying to fly with 2 radios.
I have the use of my right arm for the throttle stick on the right side.
Apr 01, 2010, 08:55 PM
Then you are in luck. Most radios can be ordered in mode 1. I think they are big in Europe or Asia for some reason. Keep us posted.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMR66001
Apr 01, 2010, 09:02 PM

One radio at a time.

Look's fine to me,

you are using a stick for throttle instead of a slide lever.
When i started flying heli's in the seventies, i got a single stick jr. radio.
It was much easier than the 9303 i use today !!
Apr 01, 2010, 09:27 PM
I flew 2 ch gliders in the 80s. Tx was just a box with a stick in the middle and trim tabs. Life was much simpler back then for me.
Apr 02, 2010, 12:11 AM
Talk to Radio South about converting your left gimbal on a standard mode 1 radio.. I'm sure they could hook you up..

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/custom_work.htm
Apr 02, 2010, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscherin
Talk to Radio South about converting your left gimbal on a standard mode 1 radio.. I'm sure they could hook you up..

Thanks,
I have a JR 6102 that I am going to convert to the configuration as picture above.
I already have the parts for it.
Apr 02, 2010, 08:10 AM
New Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscherin

The single gimbal radio they show probably has a rotational pot which could be the throttle/pitch channel. I would think that with some cyclic/rudder mixing and a rate gyro, one could do some single stick sport flying. Or... the rotating pot could be the rudder and the throttle could be a slide lever as mentioned before.

Sorry to hear about your injury and good luck with the Radio project!
Apr 02, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hephaestus,
Thanks.
The knob has potentiometer for yaw axis, i.e, rudder for aircraft or tail rotor for heli.
Typical Single tick radio from Kraft & Futaba from the 1970's has the throttle on the side of the case.
Apr 03, 2010, 07:57 PM
Danger! Danger!
If you can get passed the music (Danger Zone from Top Gun), here's an excellent example of one handed heli flying.

Trex 700 One-handed Flying Flyouts and Some 3D (4 min 8 sec)
Apr 04, 2010, 12:25 AM
Absolutely unbelievable !.
Looks like the TX has been modified from 72 MHz to 2.4 GHz. The 2.4 antenna is offset to the left. Also the sticks are not stock.
If only he has 2 good hands !.
Apr 04, 2010, 01:11 AM
Danger! Danger!
Yeah, it's a Futaba 12Z with a 2.4 Ghz module. I believe the sticks are stock.

Here's another (earler?) video:

RC Helicopter Flying using one Hand only (3 min 36 sec)
Apr 04, 2010, 10:32 AM
Must be earlier, before the TX was converted to 2.4 GHz.
In the video, he made a comment about flying with 2 toes.
I would like to see that video !. I'll go to Youtube.
When I started learning to fly R/C in the 70's at the Sepulveda Basin ( San Fernando Valley Area - North of LA ), there was ... a totally BLIND flyer !.
He can take off and fly around strictly by sound. Another flyer landed for him.
He flew 40 size trainer type. He was on the local news.
It bring tears to my eyes when they show on TV what amazing things a handicapped person can do - seemingly impossible !.
Last edited by ktoey; Apr 04, 2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply