been a while since I did this - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 01, 2003, 02:11 PM

been a while since I did this

totally lunched the gearbox. Airframe might have lived if I had more patience.......

Maybe I need more airtime on something softer and thewn I won;t get caught low and slow again
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2003, 02:13 PM
that fat lady has sang her heart out for this ex-mustang ;-(
Jun 01, 2003, 02:15 PM
twas not pretty once I got inside here. Bust gearbox, bent shaft. Even the ballraces were clicking......
Jun 01, 2003, 02:21 PM
OUCH!! Sorry man, that is a heartbreaker. If this is your first plane, then definantly go for a slowstick. If you have some past piloting experiance, then an Estarter would be in store.
-Sam
Jun 01, 2003, 02:28 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
Tough luck man. What Sam said.

That looks like a clean break it's reapirable. She'll roar again and the fat lady'll get laryngitis.

Cam
Jun 01, 2003, 04:11 PM
A new gearbox and some POR glue and you will be good to go. You will need to be because you can't gey Estarters in the UK (at least I can't find any)

Graham
Jun 02, 2003, 02:37 AM
Well,
The slowstick was a doddle, the tiggy is a dream (all gws stuff so far), the pixie HLG is good fun but setting up the bungy takes a while, the hoverfly obviously is only good indoors. A few planes under my belt with no damage so I thought the p-51 would be a good next step.

I had 3 good flights under my belt with trusty old radio and a 10 x somehting standard prop. I thought I'd try my fancy new radio with rates and a 9x something (can't remember pitch) prop. Looks like I needed to make one change at a time. Got myself in a pickle with the rates, low slow and too twitchy thumbs shot me down good and proper.

Thinking about an A-10 instead as I have read tip stall warnings for the P-51 but I have heard only good things about the stability of the A-10. I guess I needed something softer for the step up to a full house ship.

Not too heart broken about the tang ( not but definitely not ) as it cost less in time but more in bucks which I can handle even though there is a bit of nagging about 'another toy plane' from my financial superviser ('er indoors)

Thanks for the sympathy......more than I get at home!!!!
Jun 02, 2003, 06:21 AM
The need for speed
That's definitely repairable. It's amazing how easy it is to repair GWS foamies, the parts all seem to fit together so well after a crash. Just a bit of 5 minute epoxy required and she will be as good as new!
Jun 02, 2003, 08:10 AM
As Foaminator says the foam is easy to fix, the gearbox can be replaced easily as well - quite a few folk in the UK do GWS gearboxes and spares - if the motor is OK the box will cost about 10 and less if you salvage bits.

Graham