Sep 13, 2011, 09:23 AM
Look ma, no hands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
The Celectra 1S 3.7 Variable Rate DC Li-Po Charger that I have came with the SR120. It only charges one battery at a time. Has a little adapter that I can change, to charge the 500 and 120 batteries. The charger that came with the MCX2 does not have a AC hook up, runs on AA Batteries only. I can see allready that my next upgrade is going to be a decent battery charger.
I got a Thunder Power RC TP103CQ-ACDC 4-port charger at the same time I bought my first MCX2. It charges 4 batteries at a time at 0.3 amps. I used it for the original 120mAh and now for my 160mAh batteries. It charges fastest enough that I can fly almost continuosly with 4 batteries allowing for cool down between 5-minute flights.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2011, 12:38 PM

Recently aquired a Force MH-35 and FHX in a combo pack from my lhs. Took the Grandson to pick something up to have fun with out at the house when the g-kids visit.

Of course I couldn't make him fly alone

I found these things to be a great kick to fly so I bought 2 more slightly used ones off the net for a good deal. I did a lot or searching for tips and mods to the Force units but couldn't find much at all on these things. Then I learned they were pretty much just mCX2s.

I then bought a mCX2 for $36 with a bad 5 in 1 mainly to use for parts to repair the Force heli's when they broke (like I knew we would). Turned out that it was only when the tail lights were plugged in that the 5 in 1 didn't allow the servos to operate, works fine now, just no lights.

Interesting thing I found was that the frame is different making the body mount points different. Also the flybar is longer on the mCX2 but more importantly the flybar link attachment point is further from center than on the Force units. While testing out the mCX2 in the house I smacked a cupboard and broke said flybar. I swapped in one of my spares I had on hand for the Force units and it works just fine on the mCX2. I'm guessing to fit the IR gun they changed the frame to move the 5 in 1 up higher. The battery also sits further fwd to offset the heavier tail of the Force units? Not sure about that part althought the Force units do not have an issue with the batteries contacting the servo gears.

Before having this mCX2 on hand I ordered some canopies thinking they would fit the Force helis, which, of course, they do not. Bummer cause the carbon fiber canopies look sweet with the cf tail booms and tail fins.

I could buy a mCX2 frame or two and swap everything over I suppose or just not worry about it an fly with the stock front canopies and the cf tail booms.

They do feel different when flying, the mCX2 spins (pirouette) much faster than the Force helis. With all the cf parts they fly pretty quick in the house, much more touchy to control, if I had a programable controller I would slow down the turn rate on the mCX2 however I am learning to be a little easier with the control.

This thread is the best one I have found for the tips and tricks (once I realized they were close to the same helis).

I'm probably wearing the motors quicker cause I don't worry about letting them cool down between flights, I just swap batteries and go again. I have flown these suckers a lot since my addiction started. Reading what I have on this and other battery threads I now treat the batteries a little nicer, not letting they run down as far before swapping them out.

Having a lot of fun with these things, never really thought I would get into the Helis but I did think one day I would fly an RC of some sort. Glad my grandson got us going in this direction.

So far we (mostly me) have broken 5 inner shaft hubs and 4 flybars. (I keep spares on hand). I'm not saying these things are weak, we just fly a lot and things do break after taking a severe beating. We are getting much better at flying and breaking less often.
Sep 13, 2011, 01:51 PM
Are there any mcx2-class helis with head-locking gyro?

The only thing I found is the blade scout which is smaller (no problem) _but_ has only three channels (no side movements - I suppose the swashplate has only one servo) and flies for only 4 minutes (c'mon, what am I supposed to do in such short time?). And has not a full body canopy (which I like very much, looks like a heli, not like a frame with a face).
Sep 13, 2011, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
You can open up the box and change each port to charge at what ever rate you want it to, within its limits.
Not on the one that I have. If you open the trap door, you can install batteries to charge with if you don't have the AC power supply. Other than that, the rest of the charger is sealed up - probably ultra- sonically sealed because I don't see any screws to take it apart.
Sep 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Not on the one that I have. If you open the trap door, you can install batteries to charge with if you don't have the AC power supply. Other than that, the rest of the charger is sealed up - probably ultra- sonically sealed because I don't see any screws to take it apart.
You see the 4 rubber "feet" on the bottom of the box? Pull them off, there are screws underneath them.
Sep 13, 2011, 10:17 PM
Quote:
You see the 4 rubber "feet" on the bottom of the box? Pull them off, there are screws underneath them.
And then what? Is there something that lets you charge at a different rate? Does charging at a higher rate do anything more than charge faster?
Sep 14, 2011, 06:34 AM
You can change each pot to a different charge rate, Basically either faster or slower.
Sep 14, 2011, 06:49 AM
Master Of My Universe
Flybars are my favs for breaking as well

It's great to hear you are having so much fun, the only thing to watch (and I might be too late here) is they are very addictive and before you know it they will multiply

There is a thread here that issues heli and plane challenges if you want to try something different
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1346831
The videos posted here are hillarious, I took a while to read through the whole thread but it was worth it for the mad bunch that post videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swath View Post
So far we (mostly me) have broken 5 inner shaft hubs and 4 flybars. (I keep spares on hand). I'm not saying these things are weak, we just fly a lot and things do break after taking a severe beating. We are getting much better at flying and breaking less often.
Sep 14, 2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Flybars are my favs for breaking as well

It's great to hear you are having so much fun, the only thing to watch (and I might be too late here) is they are very addictive and before you know it they will multiply

There is a thread here that issues heli and plane challenges if you want to try something different
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1346831
The videos posted here are hillarious, I took a while to read through the whole thread but it was worth it for the mad bunch that post videos
I already have 4 helis plus my g-sons, so yup, i'm addicted. I'm flying every day and can fly around the house quite well. I have two windows and a door going into my sunroom that provide a nice obstical to fly through.

Dom loves using the ir guns which is what these things were built for. I'm not such a big fan. I don't really need help making me crash! Even my 8 yo g-daughter is flying. She doesn't get complex about, she can make it drift one way or the other so right now she just avoids hitting things. When I was talking to Dom about how the ir guns work he picked up the TV remote and shot me down with it! Smart kid that g-son.

I have looked through that challenge thread, printed out the landing pad, and am having fun trying to land well from 4 directions. Open windows and doors add great drafts to make it more fun as does leaving the ceiling fan on!
Sep 14, 2011, 11:46 AM

didja get it?

Kodak Jack

Didja get it yet???

My Celectra 4 port charges my batts just fine and quickly. It's stock. I plug in 4 batts... go downstairs to get a cup of coffee, relieve the "holding" tank, check e'mail and they're flashing and almost fully charged! Then I fly!!!

Frank "WOOF" Beagle
Challenger Dealer CHII N797FB
http://frankbeagle.blogspot.com
frankbeagle at hotmail.com
ph# 708-269-8057
Sep 14, 2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbeagle View Post
Kodak Jack

Didja get it yet???

My Celectra 4 port charges my batts just fine and quickly. It's stock. I plug in 4 batts... go downstairs to get a cup of coffee, relieve the "holding" tank, check e'mail and they're flashing and almost fully charged! Then I fly!!!

Frank "WOOF" Beagle
Challenger Dealer CHII N797FB
http://frankbeagle.blogspot.com
frankbeagle at hotmail.com
ph# 708-269-8057
It just got shipped today.
Sep 14, 2011, 03:53 PM
Look ma, no hands!

Charging faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
And then what? Is there something that lets you charge at a different rate? Does charging at a higher rate do anything more than charge faster?
Actually, yes. Charging at a higher rate can do something else. It can cause the battery to overheat and catch fire or even explode. Please visit the forum RC Groups > Batteries and Chargers.
Sep 14, 2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
Actually, yes. Charging at a higher rate can do something else. It can cause the battery to overheat and catch fire or even explode. Please visit the forum RC Groups > Batteries and Chargers.
Many folks actually lower the charge rate on it to help prolong the life of the eflite batteries.
Sep 14, 2011, 09:14 PM
Look ma, no hands!
Quote:
Many folks actually lower the charge rate on it to help prolong the life of the eflite batteries.
I can select a rate from .1 to .7 amps on my charger. Even though the SR 120 manual says I could use .7 amps for the 500mAh batteries. I use .5; after a dozen cycles each they are still charging right back up to 4.21 volts. Not sure how long they'd last if charged at a higher rate. It'll be interesting to see how they do at .5 amps.
Sep 14, 2011, 09:25 PM
Yes but we are talking about the 4port charger here. Many of us have much better chargers, just letting them know what they can and can't do with the little 4 port charger.

Quick Reply