Jun 08, 2010, 01:07 AM
Piscine Promulgator
My goal is to someday manage to get the entire cast of Surfimp's Flying Circus to the hill on the same day at the same time: Voltij, Wasabi, Minivec, Kulbutin, Slopemaster 3D, Le Fish, Air 100, and that perennial little clown, the Weasel-Evo

EDIT: here is my favorite Voltij video:
Aeromod Voltij at the Ruins (4 min 0 sec)

I really need to get some new footage filmed, I feel like I keep recycling these oldies over and over again! Somebody help a brother out

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Jun 08, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2010, 02:03 AM
Hey guys

Couple of notes from mine as I have it flying already:

Rudder - can't recall how much throw I have but it's getting on for too much! My throws came out symmetrical which seemed to indicate to me that the horn on mine at least is in the correct position relative to the final control run/ hinge line.

Wing retention: I just use tape. There's some neat stuff available from http://www.darrolcady.com/Accessorie...ies_flight.htm which really grabs but it also conformable to work on that tight corner into the fuse. I use the "racing tape" although the blenderm works well too. And yes, it's been blendered!

Forward fuse strength: yes - always tricky I think to make a canopy type nose feel stiff before the model is built. I don't think you need to add carbon though. We always just sort it out with a nice long 4mm ply servo tray. Goes from the tip of the nose right back to the joiner, thus crossing that potential break point where the nose goes from the carbon wing seat wrap to the kevlar 2.4 nose bit. Bit of a build thread here, with pics of rudder horn as well... http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,66475.60.html

My forward fuse is very strong now... Tested!

Zim
Jun 08, 2010, 03:14 AM
Piscine Promulgator
So I have definitely had enough of the aforementioned snakes on the aforementioned plane

I dug out some replacement snake housing, music wire and rare earth magnets from the bowels of my partially unpacked shop boxes and had a go at dry-fitting a new housing run using the magnet and music wire trick Mike F mentioned. I've used that technique successfully before, it's a great trick and yet another good reason to have a ready supply of strong magnets on hand.

Anyways the problem is that the same globs of epoxy & filler that caused the first elevator housing to go all bindy also serve to impede a straight shot back on its replacement... shonky plumbing all around.

Simple solutions to complex problems dictate a nice rigid CF pushrod... placing order tomorrow, maybe for one of those fancy pants jobs with the titanium ends sold by Central Hobbies

My rudder will have plenty of throw now that it's been worked back and forth a bunch as I've fiddled with the elevator snake. 30-40* should be more than plenty, with as little side area as this thing has it's mainly going to be used to help keep the nose up through rolls as opposed to whipping out Ye Olde Death Slide, at least IMHO YMMV etc

Steve
Jun 08, 2010, 09:21 AM
Zim,

Thanks for all the useful information. It always helps when someone already has one in the air!

One other question;

Approximately how much nose weight did it take to get it balanced? I mean just roughly--a little or a lot? I would like to cast in a lead plug in the tip of the nose to help w balancing, before I install all the radios. Like maybe an ounce of lead, and then add a little more on the tray for fine balance. Once I get that plug in the nose, I'll run the tray right up against it for bracing.....
Jun 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
C4X
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Hey,
I dont suppose anyone that is nearly at the maiden stage with their MV, uses an SD10G? I will be hoping to build mine out double quicktime, having a decent radio setup ready to go would save a heap of time. If not, I reckon the only important bits of programming will be ail-flap mixing for roll rate and of course crow (for keeping her in one piece). Comments? This will be my first full house and first hands on with the 10G.
Jun 11, 2010, 07:01 AM
isoaritfirst
Treat it as an ideal opportunity to get to learn about your transmitter.

There are a lot of little tweaks that can be done with full house models that may just make it more fun to fly. I still constantly adjust models that I have flown happily for years.

All part of the learning curve - and imo best not to try to short circuit it too much. Learn it now why your needs are still fairly simple. It will pay dividends in the long run.
Jun 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
C4X
C4X
Glider Junkie Beyond Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst
Treat it as an ideal opportunity to get to learn about your transmitter.

There are a lot of little tweaks that can be done with full house models that may just make it more fun to fly. I still constantly adjust models that I have flown happily for years.

All part of the learning curve - and imo best not to try to short circuit it too much. Learn it now why your needs are still fairly simple. It will pay dividends in the long run.
Too true. I am primed to learn my new Tx for sure, I've studied the manual for some time already, shouldn't take much to have the MiniV ready for maiden. As you say, endless tweaking awaits . . . Thanks Mike.

Clarke
Jun 11, 2010, 04:33 PM
Dudes - sorry I should have posted my settings ages ago. Been super-busy. But I promise I'll get it measured up tomorrow. Pretty simple really on a symmetrical section wing right in the middle of the fuse centre line, as for starters, I haven't bothered with any differential at all.

But I'll get it all posted up tomorrow!

Z
Jun 11, 2010, 06:42 PM
Piscine Promulgator
Z a CG measurement would be quite helpful, too

Steve
Jun 12, 2010, 11:56 PM
After a week of solid 20-25mph lift at Smith Mountain, and spending each afternoon after work flying the ballasted Typhoon, the ballasted Erwin, and the ballasted Green Machine, we've had a rainy evening to spend in the shop and get caught up.

I set up the fuse with it's radio package, put on the wings and tail, and positioned the servos in their approximate locations to get an idea of where it will balance. Looks like it will take quite a load of lead in the nose for the final balance, so I cast a lead-shot/epoxy mixture into the nose. I put in about 3 oz into the slug, and I have lots of room up near the battery to do the rest of the fine tuning. It's gonna take about 4oz to make the CG meter happy at 73mm.

And, I got the radio install completed into the fuselage...I gotta say, it looks pretty tidy in there. Hyperion digitals for the elevator and rudder (LOTS of throw available on both, if you need it). There's the balance lead slug up front, then the battery/final balance weight (later) to be wrapped in foam, all underneath the radio tray. Servos are a solid mount, pushrods fit right on, and receiver accessible on top of the wing root. When I get the final balance done, the tray will be glassed in, with an EPP foam plug in front of it to reduce any shock. The nose feels really solid now.

I just have to build a wiring harness for the wing servos and put in the wing plug-in adapters, and she'll be ready for programing....I can almost hear the whistle now....
Jun 13, 2010, 02:19 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Looking good Mike! Have company in town this weekend, a wedding today, haven't made any progress. Still waiting on parts though so it's not the end of the world, I guess

Steve
Jun 13, 2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah that's it - just balance it on the tube at 73mm for starters. It's not a bad CG at all - not ridiculously conservative! In all likelihood you will end up at 75mm. I actually had mine at 83mm on the maiden (forgot to add the finetuning loose weights after the main shot had been epoxied in!) and it was flyable at even as far back as that, although I certainly do not recommend it.

73mm is a great starting point, and may even be a satisfactory ongoing point for many.

Zim
Jun 15, 2010, 03:52 AM
Ok dudes - here's my throws:

First off, elevator sits at neutral to the fairings with CG at 73mm - yay! Have a feeling that the CG will be better at 75mm but I haven't tried it yet. At this setting, neutral at 73mm the model will drop a little if left, and does the same inverted. So moving the CG back a little and leaving the trim the same should result in slightly purer performance.

Anyway...

Elevator: measured at trailing edge root: 15mm each way high; 10mm each way low.

Rudder: measured at base: 26mm each way high; 21mm each way low.

Aileron: measured at tip: 9mm each way high; 7mm each way low.

Flap as aileron measured at root: 6mm each way high; 4mm each way low.

Snapflap: measured at flap root: 7.5mm each way, worked out along the aileron to maintain a straight trailing edge; my snapflap throw stays the same for high or low rate elevator btw.

Camber: measured at flap root; 8mm each way, worked out along aileron to keep trailing edge in line; elevator compensation 1.25mm each way.

Crow: Flaps at root 47mm down; ailerons at tip 4mm up; elevator at trailing edge 9mm down.

Hope that helps!

Zim
Jun 19, 2010, 11:12 PM
We come in peace.
Hey guys,

Anyone finished their minivec yet? I'm dying for a few flight reports.

Best.
Ron.
Jun 20, 2010, 10:10 AM
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth
Hey guys,

Anyone finished their minivec yet? I'm dying for a few flight reports.

Best.
Ron.
Hav'nt had time to work on mine Lately....The G.F. is outta collage for the summer and have to go do stuff with her."Its not what you think" we are both in our 50's. I may be able to talk her into a detour to Sleeping Bear Dunes in a few weeks.....Maybe will be able to get the maiden in there. Otherwise... May have to wait till The S. Dakota trip in Sept. Havnt heard from Mike lately.......He looked like he was making good progress.... Maybe he is up on Smith Mt. rite now taking video Davo
Last edited by davonat; Jun 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM.