Mar 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Upgrade my Walkera 4#3B or just get a Walkera 4#6?

I'm a beginner who is enjoying hovering my E-flite Blade SR.

I also have a Walkera 4#3B with the xtreme Bell-Hiller mod and flybar weights. I can hover that too. However, my tail motor just died, and rather than simply replacing it (I tried a Novus FP tail motor, but it doesn't work with my older RX-2406 receiver), I'm thinking about going double brushless.

It's time for me to start trying forward flight. I've heard that the 4#3B may be too squirrely for beginners in forward flight.

So here's the question. For someone at my level, should I just dump the 4#3B and get a 4#6? Is that better for learning forward flight? The price is about the same for the double brushless upgrade and a new 4#6.

Thanks for any advice,
Clif
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2010, 01:53 PM
Jesus Freak
dump the 4#3B and get a 4#6. if you can hover the 4#3b, then don't worry about going to the 4#6 transition will be easy. 4#6 will help with FF as you won't have to fight the tail as you do with the 4#3B as the battery drains.
Mar 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have no FFF issues with my Bs and all of them have brushed tails. - I do go through a fair amount of them over the long term, but I think there are benefits.

The Novus FP motor should work just fine as well.
Mar 26, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thread OP
AtTheCross: I'm very tempted to get the 4#6. I've never had a heli that didn't have a motorized tail, so it sounds like fun.

JackDaniels: I think the Novus FP motor only works with the RX-2406A. I tried it on my 4#3B and it basically worked, but it didn't have enough power to actually hold the tail even with full trim.

What are the benefits of the brushed tail? Another possibility is that I just upgrade the main on the 4#3B.
Mar 26, 2010, 03:09 PM
dze
dze
if you want to learn forward dump the 4#3b i agree with atthecross, the B can be flown in forward actually quite well but its even dicey and very fast for me to keep up at this point now and ive been forwarding good for over a year on other birds .. tail motors and mains are iffy no matter which setup you go with on the B is my experience .. some motors are better than others even among the same exact ones i'll go through 2 or 3 new tail motors to get one i like usually .. brushed tails are fine on them once you get a good motor on the back, ive had the ones on mine for months and theyre still good .. but the B just isnt the bird to progress on .. its funtime in-between for indoors when the weather is bad but thats about it ..
Mar 26, 2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumble2k
JackDaniels: I think the Novus FP motor only works with the RX-2406A. I tried it on my 4#3B and it basically worked, but it didn't have enough power to actually hold the tail even with full trim.

What are the benefits of the brushed tail? Another possibility is that I just upgrade the main on the 4#3B.
Ah, my mistake. - I think you're right, that is the old tail motor.

The benefits to the brushed are the weight, cost and I'm assuming battery drain as well.

Its not nearly as tragic when I trash a $4 motor vs say landing a $30 2.9g in the street and messing it up.

I wouldnt fly a 4g3 without a BL tail, but its really not needed on the 4#3b, as long as you dont mind soldering once in a while.
Mar 26, 2010, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanks all for your advice. It sounds like the best thing for me at the beginner level is to get a 4#6 and practice with it.
Mar 26, 2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumble2k
Thanks all for your advice. It sounds like the best thing for me at the beginner level is to get a 4#6 and practice with it.
+1... that is the way I would go!

Quick Reply