Nov 12, 2011, 05:20 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by saned View Post
The Champ flying with a mounted #11 cam and from the ground following with a hat cam.
In a rather cloudy morning with low winds, I went to my field to try the #11 cam on the Champ. I initially tried mounting it on top of the wings, but it was too top heavy: it would not take off and wouldn't level when hand thrown. It worked fine mounting it at the bottom of the fuselage. The camera was upside down so the video was rotated 180* using avidemux.
The camera was mounted whole which proves to be too heavy for a stock Champ to gain much altitude. I'll try taking the cover off to gain a couple of grams.
After a while, the battery hit LVC so I flew her back for a safe hand landing...

BTW, how do you embed videos in this forum? just pasting the <iframe> code will work?
1st sometimes our posts sound rude, even though it was ment to be funny.

2nd some of us have not a problem placing a 808 on the Belly at the Orange and darker orange center line. For perfect flight.

3rd the video if you chose to believe it or not is the actual proof of my statement of 2nd and title.

4th the address bar on top shows the actual Link, correct. and will look like this

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8DqvqkcyE taken the "H" out

The one you are posting is the actual one Below the video, do not post that, will only give a hyper link at given times that will work, after te video is aired and converted. unsure if te statement holds true. "H" removed at the front.

ttp://youtu.be/2P8DqvqkcyE

Post the one that is on top from the youtube page ...

I am advanced to a different level of rc planes and proven tat anyone can go out htre and fly, my pockets arenot deep, nor am I a pro, I hoped that I helped out and that , I thank you.

FISHYCOMICS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8DqvqkcyE
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
1st sometimes our posts sound rude, even though it was ment to be funny.

2nd some of us have not a problem placing a 808 on the Belly at the Orange and darker orange center line. For perfect flight.

3rd the video if you chose to believe it or not is the actual proof of my statement of 2nd and title.

4th the address bar on top shows the actual Link, correct. and will look like this

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8DqvqkcyE taken the "H" out

The one you are posting is the actual one Below the video, do not post that, will only give a hyper link at given times that will work, after te video is aired and converted. unsure if te statement holds true. "H" removed at the front.

ttp://youtu.be/2P8DqvqkcyE

Post the one that is on top from the youtube page ...

I am advanced to a different level of rc planes and proven tat anyone can go out htre and fly, my pockets arenot deep, nor am I a pro, I hoped that I helped out and that , I thank you.

FISHYCOMICS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8DqvqkcyE
Thanks a lot, Fishycomics! BTW, I reiterate, your video is awesome, in height and sight

Here it goes again, in all embedded splendor

HobbyZone UM Champ POV cam (4 min 9 sec)
Nov 12, 2011, 06:26 PM
I am THE Registered User
Hey! anybody know how to support the top part on the rudder where it overlaps? Mine is a little flimsy...
Nov 12, 2011, 06:40 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by saned View Post
Thanks a lot, Fishycomics! BTW, I reiterate, your video is awesome, in height and sight

Here it goes again, in all embedded splendor

http://vimeo.com/32010182
Kept it nice and low, nicely done. the velcro, as to go weak stuff. for i use tape and kept the500 mah bat on hardely ever remove it.

the 808 wil lnot work on top, unless you have way more weight on bottom and then we all know the champ will not function correctly.

nice flying field and good luck in hte 808 placement.
Nov 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
guys these cam shots are awesome! what camera's are you guys using? I would love to get some footage just for kicks. Also, does anyone have a design for some ski's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
I like the laid back feeling of flying the Champ. It's kind of like going from CP helicopters to coaxials for you heli guys, but I'm leaving my Champ as is. When you want to move up, buy a different plane, because you may want to come back to the laid back flying Champ at some point.
This is exactly what I am looking for. I LOVE my mcpx heli but there are days where I feel like putting around with my msr clone. Seems to be more relaxing so to say. Seems the longer I am in the air, the bigger the smile on my face Tuesday cant get here fast enough!

edit// I am going to need a new prop as the one that is coming with mine looks absolutely destroyed! I have the prop on my 4site but I wouldnt mind picking up a few for this. Is the stock prop all I need? Some people have said the GWS prop but I am unsure as to what exact prop that would be. I know gws is a brand but do they have a prop specifically for the champ?
Last edited by 3d astronaut; Nov 12, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Nov 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
Occupying RCG
Noob,

A lot of us like the GWS 5043 prop. You'll need a 4mm to 1.5mm adapter.

RCG member rcbabbel can set you right up if you send him a pm.
Nov 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
Lots of fun Fish. Thanks
Nov 12, 2011, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Noob,

A lot of us like the GWS 5043 prop. You'll need a 4mm to 1.5mm adapter.

RCG member rcbabbel can set you right up if you send him a pm.
Thank you I sent him a pm. Does anyone have a quick guide on finding cg and how to adjust?
Nov 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
I am THE Registered User
Fishy! you got a new profile picture! I liked the old one...
Nov 12, 2011, 08:58 PM
Occupying RCG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_noob View Post
Thank you I sent him a pm. Does anyone have a quick guide on finding cg and how to adjust?
Measure back from the leading edge 1+1/4" and place marks in close to the fuselage. This is the factory CoG recommendation.

Stick two pencils in a block of wood or foam spaced just wider than the fuselage.

Install the battery, set the plane on the stand at the wing marks, and observe the horizontal stabilizer. You want it to be really level. Move the battery to get it level, or even slightly nose heavy. tail heavy Champs porpoise like mad, and are harder to control than a slightly nose heavy condition.

Mine likes my 160 batteries as far forward as the stock slot will allow.
Once you find the sweet spot, this plane will fly itself, and can be controlled with just the trim buttons if you desire.

Hope this helps.
Nov 12, 2011, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Hey guys new to this area of rc. But I have a beat up champ coming my way and am really excited. Needs a little body work but was told it flys great as it is. Anyways I tried to scratch build an acro bipe with champ guts but realized thats a bit out of my reach at the moment. I am reading on how to find cg and all of that. Anywho I plan on flying the heck out of this thing then modding it to death I have seen a few videos on youtube of aileron enabled champs, anyone do this? I just trashed my 4site and have all the gear laying around from that so I may throw that in the champ a few months down the road. Also, anyone fly these in the winter?
I put àilerons on one of my champs. The dihedral is pretty dramatic on the champ, so ailerons aren't a great mod unless you mod the wing as well. Ailerons do help with inverted flying.
Nov 13, 2011, 01:16 AM
thanks for all the help guys! one more question for the night lol.. What batteries are everyone using? I have some turnigy nanotech 160's some lightning power 150's a couple thunder power 160s. was just wondering whats been the best.
Nov 13, 2011, 01:44 AM
Big Jim
Quote:
thanks for all the help guys! one more question for the night lol.. What batteries are everyone using? I have some turnigy nanotech 160's some lightning power 150's a couple thunder power 160s. was just wondering whats been the best.
I use a Turnigy 500 Mha and fly for thirty minutes or more if not doing inverted at WOT or reverse loops. She also cuts the wind better with the lil extra weight.
Nov 13, 2011, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
I use a Turnigy 500 Mha and fly for thirty minutes or more if not doing inverted at WOT or reverse loops. She also cuts the wind better with the lil extra weight.
wow I didnt think the champ could handle a batter that large. Is that a 2cell? What do you need to get a 500mah to hook up to the stock champ?

Quick Reply