Sep 29, 2011, 02:10 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm
Hey Guys -- Been hanging around for awhile now but this is my first post. I got my Champ a couple of months ago, followed shortly by a T-28. I've really enjoyed reading all the posts, particularly from you regulars, and these forums have been a tremendous help on many occasions.

I like everyone's videos but I have to say, looking at all that countryside can get a little... repetitive. Here's my first attempt at some urban video footage. I'm working on some other things I'd like to do in different parts of the city, and hopefully there will be more to come.
Be careful flying a airplane in Chicago they have a habit of coming in the middle of the night and tearing up your runway..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_Field

And now you have to worry about the FBI..

http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/RCPlot.aspx
Last edited by livonia bob; Sep 29, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2011, 02:52 PM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
I used a small square of 1/16" plywood from the local hobby shop, mounted mostly vertically with 5-minute epoxy (the house-brand kind, also from the LHS, that doesn't smell bad or turn yellow like Devcon does). Used small #2 button-head screws (.050" allen-wrench drive) to bolt the 5-gram HobbyKing motor to the firewall - they were the only screws small enough to go thru the tiny holes in the motor's base.
Thanks for the idea.

Is your ply inside the fuselage? Does it extend up into the top half of the fuse when it is attached? The last question - did you have to remove some foam from the front area to get your ply down into it a little bit?

SB
Sep 29, 2011, 02:58 PM
Suspended Account
Enjoyed the clip. and just brought back a memory, "ROLLING MEADOWS" back in the Late 80' I remember a few places Ibeen tho, and there was a Field for Rc near there, here was a amll as well, that i wneet to , etc.. I was there for 3 months and WOW..

gret video and shots again.

There shot I like to do, but I am careful, and caution myself, of reasons. you may never know.
Sep 29, 2011, 02:59 PM
An Ordinary User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker
Here is how i mount mine,same foam that i use to make wheels.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1713
Thanks Ridgewalker.

I see that I cut away too much foam from the inside of the fuse so there was nothing vertical behind the motor mount that I could glue it to for stability.

SB
Sep 29, 2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB
Thanks for the idea.

Is your ply inside the fuselage? Does it extend up into the top half of the fuse when it is attached? The last question - did you have to remove some foam from the front area to get your ply down into it a little bit?

SB
Yes, yes, and yes.

I worry that, with the amount of downthrust I put in, I might not be able to raise the back of the motor enough to keep the propeller in line with the original nose exit. Right now, it's about 1/4" below where the original prop shaft came out. And 1/4" is a LONG distance on a Champ!
Sep 29, 2011, 03:50 PM
Diverted by planks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
those are likeDots to me suger rush Lol.

making a offtopic vid. will post. why I carry a cam with me Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fks3nEn7mCs
Bravo!

I especially like the musical score selection -- pure artistry!

Much like our intrepid traveler, the fiddler seems to have wandered off the beaten path quite a bit, only to eventually find his way safely home again to the familiar and regular by the end of the piece!

Sep 29, 2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB
Thanks Ridgewalker.

I see that I cut away too much foam from the inside of the fuse so there was nothing vertical behind the motor mount that I could glue it to for stability.

SB
Glue a couple of 1/16" balsa strips vertically to the sides of the (inside of) the cowl. The you can press the firewall against them, and use epoxy.

Worked for me!
Sep 29, 2011, 05:46 PM
Foam flogger
I saw a post a while back where someone listed the parts and vendor to build a champ from spare parts for about $50. Anyone remember where that is? I've searched a bit but can't seem to find it again.
I have an old um J-3 that needs a new fuse but I thought I'd replace the foam with the Champ and teach the boy to fly with it. Can't belive the J3 parts are nearly twice as expensive as the champ. Plus, it's harder to fly.
Sep 29, 2011, 06:38 PM
I am THE Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchomexa
did anybody hear about some crazy guy trying to blow up the pentagon and the capitol by loading a champ with c-4 and a 808 camera?

nuts!
I did- he's crazy
Sep 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerec6
I did- he's crazy
It was a F-86,,, EDF,, like it was going to be able to carry anything... What a nut...
Sep 29, 2011, 07:01 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem
I saw a post a while back where someone listed the parts and vendor to build a champ from spare parts for about $50. Anyone remember where that is? I've searched a bit but can't seem to find it again.
I have an old um J-3 that needs a new fuse but I thought I'd replace the foam with the Champ and teach the boy to fly with it. Can't belive the J3 parts are nearly twice as expensive as the champ. Plus, it's harder to fly.

give or take few dollars

Hopmeup.com

you get a fuse, tail kit and wing 20.00 less electronics, with electronics around 60.00
Sep 29, 2011, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem
I pretty much did that with Champ III, buying the parts at my local hobby shop. Not a bad idea to support your LHS, though the prices might be slightly cheaper on Ebay. Wing, fuselage (comes with pushrods and pushrod ends), tailfeathers (comes with control horns), landing gear, and tailwheel. You supply the radio, motor, prop, and battery... though those can also be bought at the hobby shop.

ON EDIT:

Just looked up fishycomics' link, the wing, fuse, tail, and main gear come to $27.13 plus shipping from North Carolina. They didn't list a tailwheel. Not bad, though, for a fairly-complete airframe.

If I were doing it again (and I might! ), I'd get those, plus the Spektrum AR6400LBL brick, and hit HobbyKing.com for several 160mAh Turnigy nano-tech 1S batteries, and a bunch of their connectors ("Mini Plug Extention for Micro Battery 10cm") for those batteries so I can put two in series, and either a 5-gram brushless motor or maybe a "Turnigy 1400 Brushless Motor 2000kv" or an "AX1306N 2200kv Brushless Micro Motor (9g)", and a few GWS 5030 or 4030 props. Those are, to me, the idea combination of light weight and good power so you can either cruise in a mellow way at half throittle, or do steep climbs and stunts at higher throttle settings.

Might also get a HK-282A Single-screw, Ultra-Micro servo 2g to put ailerons on the Champ, if you want ailerons. But also get a 1N914 diode to put in the power lead of the servo, so it gets along well with the 5V that comes out of the brick.

Does it sound like I've been planning on doing those things? Naah, why would you think that......
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Sep 29, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Sep 29, 2011, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
options are endless. Hopmeup.com, ships mighty fast I ordered my parts Mon I got them today three days,

He has a ebay site, and online, packs well to.

Hedoes not charge shiping foradditional parts, meaning order as a bunch he gives a good price.

Now if you have parts already you lok up what you need, and that can be obtained at HH online compare full price, and you'll see a bug savings.

I will be doing a rebuild from scratch, and I will be doing switching parts over of old champ, as well a bricked champ. basically I will be covering the whole angle option, in one extensive video. will not be tomorrow but soon as HH gets my S here

champ cost 90.00
to build from scratch, purchasing some stuff can cost close to 90.00, having spare stuff around can cost a lot lot less.
Sep 29, 2011, 10:12 PM
Foam flogger
Thx all.
Sep 29, 2011, 10:45 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Champ #2 has finally come back home from Santa's workshop at HH. It turns out Champ 2 had a very short life . They replaced him before he ever flew his 1st flight. Now Champ 3 is in the Bluhammer hanger, bound, rudder/aileron mixed, and tested. Now to prep him with a little special TLC and he'll be ready to maiden.

Blu is officially back in the Champ club again boys !

Quick Reply