Sep 29, 2011, 09:51 AM
well said! i sure hope things go back to normal and the regulators get de-regulated a little bit. im sick of all these fear tactics and smoke screens.

am i crazy to charge my lipos at work so they're ready by 4.30? champ is in the trunk just waiting...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2011, 09:51 AM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob
Gotta love that Champ!

Bestest airplane ever in terms of fun and bang for the buck. Six months of good times flying off cruddy decrepit asphalt, zero crashes, no problems.

Now she's ready for another six months!
Sep 29, 2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchomexa
well said! i sure hope things go back to normal and the regulators get de-regulated a little bit. im sick of all these fear tactics and smoke screens.

am i crazy to charge my lipos at work so they're ready by 4.30? champ is in the trunk just waiting...
i keep all my lipos charged by default ... my understanding is that it's better to keep them charged if they are used regularly
Sep 29, 2011, 09:57 AM
right telos81.

pre work flight--work--after work flight.

i keep a charger at work too!
Sep 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minchomexa
right telos81.

pre work flight--work--after work flight.

i keep a charger at work too!
haha, nice ... well then - no - you are not crazy to charge your batteries now
Sep 29, 2011, 10:07 AM
easily confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos81
haha, nice ... well then - no - you are not crazy to charge your batteries now
Dern tootin.'

To paraphrase Fabienne in Pulp Fiction...any time of the day is a good time for a Champ.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB
How are you all mounting the brushless motors in the Champ? I had a lot of trouble finding a way to mount my little 5g Hextronik. I ended up mounting it to a block of epp foam and gluing that to the inside of the fuse. It wasn't stiff enough and the motor vibrated something fierce.

Thanks!

SB
I used a small square of 1/16" plywood from the local hobby shop, mounted mostly vertically with 5-minute epoxy (the house-brand kind, also from the LHS, that doesn't smell bad or turn yellow like Devcon does). Used small #2 button-head screws (.050" allen-wrench drive) to bolt the 5-gram HobbyKing motor to the firewall - they were the only screws small enough to go thru the tiny holes in the motor's base.

Actually I cut some small wedges from 1/16 balsa to put behind the firewall, to angle it down about 5 degrees and right about 3 degrees. Doesn't seem to have helped much - the plane still zooms with full power. Though maybe now that it has twice the power, it's NOT zooming twice as much, so maybe the downthrust worked better than I thought?

One mistake I made, was that I forgot that when you put downthrust in a motor, the propeller sits a little lower. The 5" prop I used, kept nicking the pavement on its first takeoff roll, had to fly it off in three-point attitude, which is just begging for a stall. Now I'm using a 4-1/2" x 3 prop. Note to self: Next time, raise the motor on the firewall, dummy!

Man, it's nice to be able to put together a wooden engine mount without having to soak it in fuel-proof epoxy.....! I retired my last .010 a long time ago.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:18 AM
Champ III can't quite climb vertically, it turns out. That 60-degree climb was about the best it can sustain over a long period, though of course it can zoom climb vertically for maybe 5-10 seconds before running out of airspeed.

It can do a snap roll of sorts, though. Slight dive to pick up speed, pull up to about 30 degrees climb, and slap the rudder over. Almost a Lomcevak... at least it sure LOOKS out of control!

Flying with the rudder on the left stick is more of a pain that I'd thought. I see ailerons in our future.
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Sep 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Sep 29, 2011, 11:44 AM
Fishy your editing skills are wonderful. Thanks
Sep 29, 2011, 11:47 AM
Diverted by planks
Luv seein' those fishy comix!
Sep 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
Suspended Account
those are likeDots to me suger rush Lol.

making a offtopic vid. will post. why I carry a cam with me Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fks3nEn7mCs
Last edited by fishycomics; Sep 29, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Sep 29, 2011, 01:00 PM
Check these out.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1514024
Floats for the champ.
8 grams
not a kit - already built!
different colors
37 bucks--seems reasonable to me. Too bad summer is over here in Alaska.
Maybe I will get a set for use in Florida when we go on vacation in January!!
Last edited by WSEN; Sep 29, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: corrected price
Sep 29, 2011, 01:52 PM
Occupying RCG
I hear tell them thar floats work well on that nasty white stuff ya'll get, too.
Sep 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hey Guys -- Been hanging around for awhile now but this is my first post. I got my Champ a couple of months ago, followed shortly by a T-28. I've really enjoyed reading all the posts, particularly from you regulars, and these forums have been a tremendous help on many occasions.

I like everyone's videos but I have to say, looking at all that countryside can get a little... repetitive. Here's my first attempt at some urban video footage. I'm working on some other things I'd like to do in different parts of the city, and hopefully there will be more to come.

Hobbyzone Champ over Grant Park, Chicago, w/ My Morning Jacket TMIGTS, Part 2 (4 min 25 sec)

Quick Reply