Mar 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
I love HAM
Hi guys I have a question about the stock charger that comes with the Champ:

Either my voltage meter is WAY off or this charger is seriously overcharging the little LiPos: I received my batch of 160mAh turnigy nano-techs today, measured voltage on the first one (3.7v) then stuck it in the charger.

After a while I got it out and measured 3.9V, stuck it back in and waited a couple of minutes longer, and when I saw the LED was off, took it out and measured again. It was reading 4.39V!

I thought the charger was supposed to slow down the charge rate as the cell voltage nears the 4.2V mark? It looks however that the charger is pumping current through the cell with a little too much enthusiasm!

Anyone else here having similar results with the stock charger? I don't want to ruin my new cells (and I think now I know the cause of the battery that came with the Champ puffing up after only 3 charge cycles with this charger!)

Sandor
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2011, 02:38 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Great job on the first, Fishy!
If you're using the Hobbyzone controller, don't forget to push straight-down on the right stick til you hear a click and a beep.
Then the red indicator light will blink. This means you have set a lower rate, which will make the Champ less squirrelly in the wind and will soften your stick movements.
After I learned to fly my Champ, I still preferred the softer "feel" of the low rate setting.

Now I've moved on to a DX6i, but have set all the controls on the dual rate to 65%, so it flies sort of like the low rate on my old Hobbyzone tx.

Welcome to the ranks of the morbidly addicted Champ flyers!
Mar 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
Heli collector
This was fun to watch,, thank you for posting it...
Mar 25, 2011, 02:54 PM
Suspended Account
thanks maladroitfl.

I did overlook that , andwonder if 2firsttime would make a diffrence. If I crash more or less?

the windwas the issue for sure.

next time I know I will set that. to ON. I did not even get a chance to Adjust Trim.

thinking I was good out of the box.

I believe I am GOOD out of the box, if I just throttle I should climb.
Mar 25, 2011, 02:56 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger

Either my voltage meter is WAY off or this charger is seriously overcharging the little LiPos: I received my batch of 160mAh turnigy nano-techs today, measured voltage on the first one (3.7v) then stuck it in the charger.

After a while I got it out and measured 3.9V, stuck it back in and waited a couple of minutes longer, and when I saw the LED was off, took it out and measured again. It was reading 4.39V!

I thought the charger was supposed to slow down the charge rate as the cell voltage nears the 4.2V mark? It looks however that the charger is pumping current through the cell with a little too much enthusiasm!

Anyone else here having similar results with the stock charger? I don't want to ruin my new cells (and I think now I know the cause of the battery that came with the Champ puffing up after only 3 charge cycles with this charger!)

Sandor
This is not right call HH at once... Tell them that it puffed the stock battery and they should replace it also..
Mar 25, 2011, 03:15 PM
Tip stallin around town..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
Yippie!

Rather wait for a no wind day. 10 mph wind and never flew. I totally forgot I had controls of a tail, and Rudder LMAO! dam.

I got out, and had three fails. by the 4th time, more like a dozen. I was up longer, trying best to keep into the Wind, did a good job if you ask me for my FIRST time. No Help.

A few more and I almost did a loop, or looked like I wsas going to.. I was deffently airborn longer, and the plane came down. and CRASH! no damage, just lost Two Rubberbands to Mother Earth?

I said 10-15 mins of Fun 5 minutes Fly maximum, time to pack it in. Will recharge, and replenish lost bands. The Prop saver paid for itself today. 10.00 vs a 2.00 plus blade. I have to make sure the prop is pushed securely, or loss power.

And I tried my best making a Solo ground Video. angle of cam could have been a tad higher, and further back. I was to excited lol. a kid at heart.

field was mush and again my first flight.

I used a 240 mah battery, and still need to mod the battery area. I think a thin rubberband will fix the mod

The Plane felt like it has no power to push forward, Am sure if I have more Air time I will learn to go forward in incrimetents

Here is my vid. hope you guys enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEARjZZoREU
Fishy,your a natural at making videos..you are a funny guy.(i mean that in a good way) nice job on your maiden flight,keep up the good work...happy flying.
Mar 25, 2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger

Sandor
my stock charger broke the 1st week..when i put the AA batteries in the back the red light comes on and doesn't go off when i put a drained lipo in it..i was gonna call HH but never got around to it prolly too late now
Mar 25, 2011, 03:23 PM
Quote:
thanks maladroitfl.

I did overlook that , andwonder if 2firsttime would make a diffrence. If I crash more or less?

the windwas the issue for sure.

next time I know I will set that. to ON. I did not even get a chance to Adjust Trim.

thinking I was good out of the box.

I believe I am GOOD out of the box, if I just throttle I should climb.
if you think you had fun then, wait till u fly her on a windless day..you will be giggling like a little kid...Maladroit is rite about the dual rates..makes a huge difference when learning also i know how it is dealing with wind..it's always windy here and is frustrating when you want to fly but the wind os blowing..but i have learned that it usually is worth being patient and waiting for those calm sweet flying days.for me flying in the wind usually results in crash damage which is just as frustrating as waiting for the wind to calm..i dream to have the $ to build a giant metal building for indoor flying..now that would be sweet!!
Last edited by brad copter; Mar 25, 2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added more comments
Mar 25, 2011, 03:24 PM
Occupying RCG
Brad, you may want to try some new batteries. On my stock chargers, the light would stay on, with no lipo, when the AAs were too low.

Just a thought.
Mar 25, 2011, 03:42 PM
Suspended Account
Brad copter

thank you. Dam I got to go remember the Toys R Us song. LMAO!, thank you. I came a long way making my skits video's and other. I take that as a Big Compliment and tip My hat off to you!

I cannot wait for a calmer day, and see what it has in store for me.

You guys are the best here I am happy I have been a member for the longest and finally came back with the ability to Fly. Go-Go- Gadget Wings.
Mar 25, 2011, 04:49 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Today I flew the Champ in very mild breezes. It was fantastic out there.

I finally got up the courage to fly my 55" wing-span Cessna "Sky Trainer" and on the 3rd flight, I accidentally dumped her in the lake!
I had to run down there and swim for it! (No 'gators...)
I did the side-crawl while I held the Cessna above the water.

Needless to say, I was soaked to the skin and couldn't just jump in the ol' Chevy Silverado and soak the seats, so me & the Cessna dried-out in the FLA sunshine while I flew 4 more batteries on the Champ!

It was a great morning.

The Outcome:
The Cessna did fine. I took everything apart and used my daughter's old blowdryer to get the moisture out. The flap servos don't work right now, but I'm hoping they'll dry out even more, and 2 of the 4 sets of LEDs are out. No big deal until I want to fly at night, but I doubt I'd fly this monster at night anywayz.
Mar 25, 2011, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
They say Rice is the best for grabbing the wet of out electronics?
Mar 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
Weather is rather ruiny latelly..

Its being going winds all month long... i havent even properly tested the new Hyperion batts that arrived like 2 or 3 weeks ago...

Its anoying.. i have a hotel in front of my home with flags over it and every single time for the last months that i look out the window i see those flags waving like crazy...
Mar 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:
They say Rice is the best for grabbing the wet of out electronics?
Sadly, this is total BS. Just leave it alone and un-powered for 3 or 4 days, hopefully in the sun or at least some where with warmth and air (ie, not in a zip lock bag).

There are materials designed for sucking moisture out of the air (silica desiccants, I think they are called?) if you want to go faster.

If it was really dirty water or salt water, rinsing with pure water or WD-40 could be useful, but I'd just let it dry out for 3-4 days before trying this if it wasn't salt water (and what pond is?).
Mar 25, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input on the sound coming from the board. I will check the trim, didnt think of that. But sounds like some sound is normal anyway. Appreciate the input!

Quick Reply