May 08, 2019, 02:08 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick
400 feet, unless you have Eagle vision I doubt most people could tell what direction a 20" plane is facing at that distance with the naked eye. Almost to the extent that I don't believe it. I feel sorry that you lost the plane, although it is clearly 100% pilot error and somewhat irresponsible. But still.
I can remember when I first started flying. 100' seemed like 1,000'

Just a rookie observation. He probably lost control at 100'/150'...even that is stretching it
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2019, 05:37 PM
Dinosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick
400 feet, unless you have Eagle vision I doubt most people could tell what direction a 20" plane is facing at that distance with the naked eye. Almost to the extent that I don't believe it. I feel sorry that you lost the plane, although it is clearly 100% pilot error and somewhat irresponsible. But still.
Thanks CD. Weather lately is catching me out. Next day I put my 3m Fox up on a test flight for the RTH stab, and at around 500ft it entered cloud which I thought was much higher. The RTH test proved itself, as it re-emerged heading home on descent to its default 50m RTH altitude. Yep, not easy to see, but can be done. Fortunately, I still have 20/20 vision (probably not for much longer!) On the clear sky day Champ went MIA, I put my Mavic (a smaller dark grey quad) up to 150meters out at about the same distance and could passably see it - enough to control it. I agree, it was pilot error in that I didn't get a wind check at height (it was basically calm at ground level). As I said I have done this kind of flight many times before without mishap. I enjoy gliding him down with birds flying around him. I'll put the new one up on a similar flight if I consider the conditions allow it - but I will dive him if I see evidence of wind shear . Problem around home is that I have to fly him above 50 meters because of surrounding big trees., which requires higher flight due LOS constraints. Landing is in only one direction. I accept full responsibility for any mishaps
May 08, 2019, 05:48 PM
Dinosaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High Mike
I can remember when I first started flying. 100' seemed like 1,000'

Just a rookie observation. He probably lost control at 100'/150'...even that is stretching it
You're right Mike. That was about the height I lost him behind the trees on descent. Height wasn't the problem - it was the range by then! You'd be surprised how far and high you can see on a clear day. I'm used to flying at reasonable ranges (verified when flying my GPS equipped quads). Our highest gumtree in our yard is 40m high and I have no trouble seeing the top leaves But... enough said - got to go fly!
May 12, 2019, 10:05 PM
After a long winter ...and an as yet absent springtime...I finally got flying weather. The first since last Sept! So of course I broke out the little Champ! My thumbs lost they're coordination and as a whole my skills got very rusty! That's why I started over with something simple! Got in two flights before dark and all went well considering the first flight was a bit gusty. Two good landings. Couple loops on flight two. I think it's coming back to me after the long layoff!
May 13, 2019, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
After a long winter ...and an as yet absent springtime...I finally got flying weather. The first since last Sept! So of course I broke out the little Champ! My thumbs lost they're coordination and as a whole my skills got very rusty! That's why I started over with something simple! Got in two flights before dark and all went well considering the first flight was a bit gusty. Two good landings. Couple loops on flight two. I think it's coming back to me after the long layoff!
Glad to hear you got some stick time in!! Wish spring would get here too...
May 14, 2019, 06:20 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Ob, do you have you TX dialed in to get rudder command on the left stick as well as holding the right stick as command also?

It's a nice platform going into 4 Channel flight.

Oh, what kind of TX do you have?
May 14, 2019, 07:28 PM
Naw..I just right thumb it. I don't have much trouble transitioning to 4 channel. That' what I usually fly after a few spring warms ups with the Champ! Last night I got a couple flights in with my Sport Cub. I do have a tendency to forget to use my rudder on landings though.......ailerons for final steering low and slow is not the best idea! . I just use the DX4E that came with my Super Cub a coupleyears ago. Just started flying in 2016......a little late in life! Something I always wanted to do but couldn't afford when i was a kid!
Jul 23, 2019, 06:02 PM
Philippians 4:13
I haven't had to buy any batteries for my Champ for several years. what's the best deal out there now?
Jul 23, 2019, 10:39 PM
I use 200 ma/45c E-flights.
Sep 01, 2019, 09:40 PM
Elfi Flyer
I have had a HZ UM Champ in my micro fleet for years. Working with Champ #2 presently, and Champ #3 (given to me by another pilot) get occasional exercise. Presently using 210mAh 1S Nano lipos, also discovered a 250mAh 1S that works great. My favorite was the Hyperion 240 1S Lipo that gave great performance and flight times. Not sure if that 1S cell is still available.

I discovered the ParkZone PKZ3616 brushed motor, originally supplied with the UM P-51 Mustang, makes a great replacement motor for the Champ. Fits the Champ gearbox, gives good performance. Too bad Hobby Zone didn't follow-up with a 2S brushless powered Champ, as did E-flite with the UMX P-51 Mustang. Would have made a great micro. Just MHO.

RD
Sep 04, 2019, 04:41 PM
double post
Last edited by locoworks; Sep 04, 2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: double post
Sep 04, 2019, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Too bad Hobby Zone didn't follow-up with a 2S brushless powered Champ, as did E-flite with the UMX P-51 Mustang. Would have made a great micro. Just MHO.

RD

they did, the Champ S+, nearly 700mm wingspan though so basically a chubby UMX timber without flaps and lights.

HobbyZone Champ S+ RTF & BNF Overview (3 min 1 sec)

Quick Reply