Nov 05, 2013, 07:46 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Sun Eagle

You'll need to bump your throttle trim down to neutral.

It should stop all of your problems.

Mac
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Sun Eagle

You'll need to bump your throttle trim down to neutral.

It should stop all of your problems.

Mac
Already neutral, no effect. Also moved the trim up and down. Moving the trim up slowly is the same as applying throttle. Once it's high enough to engage, it does the same thing.
Nov 06, 2013, 10:41 AM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post
Already neutral, no effect. Also moved the trim up and down. Moving the trim up slowly is the same as applying throttle. Once it's high enough to engage, it does the same thing.
Hmm you mention your transmitter. Have you tried a range check? I had serious binding issues with my dx6i. It was driving me crazy. When I did a search and turned out, it was a bad tx antenna. Solved a lot of issues including intermittent cut outs (Brown outs, Black outs).
Nov 06, 2013, 08:51 PM
Range is not an issue, yes checked. Works with my other planes (when it is not glitching itself)..

This is not a TX issue...I posted it here specifically because it's an issue with the Champ.

Nobody ever had this problem before?? I really can't believe that.
Nov 06, 2013, 09:05 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
might be the battery cable/plug
Quote:
Maybe but no amount of jiggling and wiggling will get it to disconnect so I doubt it.

Oy. My cub has weird issues, my champ has weird issues and my transmitter has weird issues. every single thing I own right now has mystery issues that nobody can solve..what are the odds?
I'm going to mention this again. Sometimes the connection can be just hanging on by part of the strand(s), especially if the battery has been ejected off the belly alot.... odd things don't appear until higher throttle settings when the brick tries to draw more current. It could be at either end of the cable... even under the slicone at the brick end.
Nov 06, 2013, 11:08 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Sun Eagle,Do you have a volt meter to verify the electrical system?

Mike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
I'm going to mention this again. Sometimes the connection can be just hanging on by part of the strand(s), especially if the battery has been ejected off the belly alot.... odd things don't appear until higher throttle settings when the brick tries to draw more current. It could be at either end of the cable... even under the slicone at the brick end.
This is why I asked Sun Eagle if he had a volt meter but, he never answered me

Mike.
Nov 07, 2013, 01:11 AM
I now have 2 ASK-21 gliders. Just wondering if anyone has been successful at converting a champ into a tow plane? My champ gets little love. Infact I let my buddy learn on it at a indoor and he blew it up real good a year ago. Thinking a BL conversion and a tow hook might be enough to get it done. So anyone successful at this? Your findings may save me valuable time and effort.
Nov 07, 2013, 02:21 AM
Quote:
I got this Champ 2nd hand from a friend.

I thought the motor was bad because it would often just cut-out when attempting to throttle up.

I just installed a new motor and it does the exact same thing.. now I'm stumped. I've tried all my batteries, same result I apply throttle and it spins for 1/2 second and stops.

I'm hoping it's not a bad brick... open to suggestions and hoping for many.
Does it make a rough grinding/graunchy sound when it does run. Mine does the same as yours but with this sound. Going to replace the motor and see how that goes. Have new nanotechs.
Nov 07, 2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
I now have 2 ASK-21 gliders. Just wondering if anyone has been successful at converting a champ into a tow plane? My champ gets little love. Infact I let my buddy learn on it at a indoor and he blew it up real good a year ago. Thinking a BL conversion and a tow hook might be enough to get it done. So anyone successful at this? Your findings may save me valuable time and effort.
I've never tried using the Champ as a tow plane but I have done the brushless conversion. I believe it will deffinately have enough power to tow a glider . With the added brushless motor and 2s battery it has gained a considerable amount of weight. It weighs in at 60 grams and has to fly noticeably faster than stock.
But I would not be afraid to tow a glider with it.
Nov 08, 2013, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
I've never tried using the Champ as a tow plane but I have done the brushless conversion. I believe it will deffinately have enough power to tow a glider . With the added brushless motor and 2s battery it has gained a considerable amount of weight. It weighs in at 60 grams and has to fly noticeably faster than stock.
But I would not be afraid to tow a glider with it.
OK then I will give it a go. Thanks.

Since my champ is in pieces I might increase the size of the wing to handle the extra weight then.
Nov 08, 2013, 03:35 AM
That would help a lot. Cant wait to hear a full report on how it works out.
Nov 11, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
That would help a lot. Cant wait to hear a full report on how it works out.
I am the king of unfinished projects. Lol But I want to get this one done asap. But need to help a buddy move 700 km and have a clients house in prices. So no time at the moment. But I managed to gut the electronics and fix the blown up fuse. Just got hung up on the wing fix. I noticed I could increase the wing load and still get it in the original box. Also waiting on a CF sheet from hobby king to build my motor mount. So you may be waiting a while. But I will post back when its done for sure.
Nov 11, 2013, 06:55 PM
Well it has been weeks since my initial post, so I thought I'd update after about 9 batteries. I really do enjoy this slow flying electric thing compared to the high speed crashes with my nitro plane from days of yore!.. I can pretty much get her to go where I ask, and can keep it in front of me and out of the sun. I can say that all it wants to do is climb if given more than 3/8 throttle, and I have 2-3mm of down elevator dialed in just to keep it level. When you cut the throttle, it descends quickly and up elevator on the controller is required. I did manage 2 (yes two) landings where she came to a stop on her wheels today. I know I'd have a few more if I did not fly over rough desert mixed with small bushes (its actually a horse park). The bushes make for what I call "carrier landings". Out of the box the CG is a little forward of the recommended position. I'm thinking a little weight on the nose might help the tail heavy issue. The battery is as far forward as it will go unless I carve out some foam from the front of the battery slot, and cut out a little foam where the wire comes out of the fuselage. How much weight? My plan is to get a larger 3-channel plane some time next year and fly at a real. I have been hanging around one for a while and just look forward to it. For now I just love what I have.
Nov 11, 2013, 07:03 PM
Glad to hear your enjoying your Champ. I was lucky and didn't have any CG issues. One thing you might want to do is go to bigger wheels. It helps avoid prop strikes.
Nov 11, 2013, 09:40 PM
Suneagle, you might try checking the battery wires at the brick. I have had planes do what you describe. The wires are soldered then secured with a drop of glue, and the wires can fray there and keep enough Contact to be intermittent,

Quick Reply