Oct 31, 2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah. I have one waiting for when the stocker dies. Its been so windy here lately, the Champ has been grounded for awhile now. Maybe tomorrow morning.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
Yeah. I have one waiting for when the stocker dies. Its been so windy here lately, the Champ has been grounded for awhile now. Maybe tomorrow morning.
same here windy and rainy, got my champ out the other day though. I haven't flown it much since I got the Delta Ray. But love seeing that little orange plane flying in blue sky's and it is so relaxing to just buzz it around.
Oct 31, 2013, 07:35 PM
It sure is. I bet that Delta Ray is a nice flyer as well. I usually fly my Champ in front of my house. It spends 99% of its time doing touch and goes on my street. Very relaxing break from flying some of the faster planes.
Oct 31, 2013, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
It sure is. I bet that Delta Ray is a nice flyer as well. I usually fly my Champ in front of my house. It spends 99% of its time doing touch and goes on my street. Very relaxing break from flying some of the faster planes.
It's a very good flyer.. But I still like my Champ...I can take my eyes off it and still know where's it's going. Just a relaxing flight. And that's why I do this..
Nov 01, 2013, 06:52 PM

Hi

I just joined the forum! I purchased a Champ to get back into RC flight. Ironically, 45 years ago my Dad and I built a freeflight Champ. I know I won't have much to add for a while, so bare with my questions. With over 1000 pages of posts, I might have missed one or two.
Nov 01, 2013, 09:20 PM
Welcome back to RC flight Flyer56! Things sure have have changed a lot in the last 45 years! You'll love this little Champ. Has it had its maiden flight yet?
Nov 01, 2013, 09:36 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer56 View Post
Hi

I just joined the forum! I purchased a Champ to get back into RC flight. Ironically, 45 years ago my Dad and I built a freeflight Champ. I know I won't have much to add for a while, so bare with my questions. With over 1000 pages of posts, I might have missed one or two.
Welcome sir, ask away. It's too windy here for me to ignore you and be out flying!

Ben
Nov 01, 2013, 10:17 PM
Quote:
I purchased a Champ to get back into RC flight. Ironically, 45 years ago my Dad and I built a freeflight Champ.
1. You need zero to near-zero wind to try it for the first time. if you have *any* wind at all, always face into it to launch and land. That is an absolute rule for newbies and not optional.

2. You need about half a football/soccer field for first flights. Champ can be flown in half a basketball court, but not for newbies.

3. Check that elevator and rudder move smoothly, and equally in both directions.

4. Hand toss (by an assistant) is actually easier for newbies. There's no 'takeoff' involved because with half throttle and gentle (very gentle) toss it's already flying. The only thing left to do is land it.

5. Important: half throttle (to 5/8) is all you need to fly because it's -designed- to fly straight and level at that speed. Later you can hot dog and zoom around, but not for a little while.

6. Be *GENTLE* with the *STICKS*. (Yes I yelled that because it's the #1 newbie mistake.) When it drops altitude add a couple of clicks of throttle, and that's it, *not* the elevator.

7. Don't jam the rudder to turn - ease into it, and pull back a little elevator. Then straighten out smoothly and push elevator forward back to where it was.

8. If you *ever* get confused or disoriented just kill the throttle, pull back a little on the elevator, and it will glide to the ground. Then take a few minutes to -think- through what happened to cause your confusion, and try again. Don't hesitate to bail out. It's hard to think when you're disoriented, which is very common for newbies. -Thinking- about it will help you the -next- time you get into the same situation that caused disorientation. Eventually you will learn reflex and 'finger memory' that will in a sense 'fly the plane for you.'

9. Champ is the ultimate trainer and a pure pussycat. 8 yr olds learn to fly this in 10 minutes. Which should be easy for you if you can find an 8 yr old somewhere. LOL!!

10. GL and have a *blast*.
Nov 02, 2013, 03:50 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Hi

Welcome Guy. I'm just the village idiot So, you and your Dad built a free flight Champ. Very impressive. As far as flying, it won't take you long to get back into things. Like riding a bike eh

Mike.
Nov 04, 2013, 05:36 AM

Problem with Champ - very odd

I got this Champ 2nd hand from a friend.

I thought the motor was bad because it would often just cut-out when attempting to throttle up.

I just installed a new motor and it does the exact same thing.. now I'm stumped. I've tried all my batteries, same result I apply throttle and it spins for 1/2 second and stops.

I'm hoping it's not a bad brick... open to suggestions and hoping for many.
Nov 04, 2013, 09:58 AM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle View Post
I got this Champ 2nd hand from a friend.

I thought the motor was bad because it would often just cut-out when attempting to throttle up.

I just installed a new motor and it does the exact same thing.. now I'm stumped. I've tried all my batteries, same result I apply throttle and it spins for 1/2 second and stops.

I'm hoping it's not a bad brick... open to suggestions and hoping for many.
Are you sure your batteries aren't just tired? Have you tried a brand new one? Other than that check for obstructions in the gearbox or if the prop's rubbing.

When the cut-out happens, does it completely turn off the brick (LED goes off, no servo control) or is it just the motor that cuts off?
Nov 04, 2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Are you sure your batteries aren't just tired? Have you tried a brand new one? Other than that check for obstructions in the gearbox or if the prop's rubbing.

When the cut-out happens, does it completely turn off the brick (LED goes off, no servo control) or is it just the motor that cuts off?
LED goes off and then back on. At first I thought it was a bad charger as it seemed my batteries were going bad. So I got a new one and new bats but the problem persisted. I suspected the motor and changed that out and no joy.
Nov 04, 2013, 08:18 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
might be the battery cable/plug
Nov 05, 2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
might be the battery cable/plug
Maybe but no amount of jiggling and wiggling will get it to disconnect so I doubt it.

Oy. My cub has weird issues, my champ has weird issues and my transmitter has weird issues. every single thing I own right now has mystery issues that nobody can solve..what are the odds?
Nov 05, 2013, 05:23 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Sun Eagle,Do you have a volt meter to verify the electrical system?

Mike.

Quick Reply