Oct 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david87
just got my champ a few days ago,and today was the first flight.
i noticed that no matter how much i trim it, it wants to turn to the left. allso if im turning left it responds quickly, but when im turning right, its like doing a really slow turn...is it possible that the linear servos came out of factory un centered?
Take it to the store.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2013, 01:57 PM
im not from america, i orderd it online so there is no store i can take it to.
and jbarchuki didnt quite understand you ....what to do with the straightedge ?
and also what is endpoints? im kinda new to this and also english is not my native language
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk

A 1 deg twist/warp in the wings can throw it off. Don't just look at the rudder to see if it's straight and parallel to the stab - lay a straightedge up to it and see if any light comes through.

Also make sure the elevator is flat-parallel to the h-stab.

Hey do this... Turn down -both- left and right endpoints. That's often a standard thing to do so the slider doesn't run past the end of the sensor (causing loss of surface response and stall-spin-crash.) You may have -too- -much- travel on one -end-, which you think is the normal side and the 'less responsive' side is the one that's really correct.
Oct 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david87
jbarchuki didnt quite understand you ....what to do with the straightedge ?
Turn on the Tx, plug in the plane. Make sure the right stick makes the surfaces move.

Check the pic below. The gap between the straightedge and the elevator means it's trimmed down. A brand new plane, first flight and such, surfaces should be as flat and neutral as possible, because it was -designed- to fly that way and they usually do.

I don't recall why -mine- is that way. It's been through two motor changes so the thrust is likely off, and as you an see there are chunks missing here and there. LOL! It flies and that's all I care about.

Check both sides of the elevator, in case they're twisted in the middle.

And obviously you can use this same technique for the rudder. I did the elevator pic simply because it was easier to set up the straightedge for it. My rudder is twisted and bent anyway in much worse shape than the elevator so that would not have been a good reference example.

Are you doing hand toss? With someone to do that for you? That's often easier for a new plane and new pilot.

When you launch, if you see anything go weird such as pitch up or rolling one way ot the other, just throttle off and use the elevator to glide down. Don't try to gain altitude and -make- it work if it's starting out badly. Take the time to -think- about what happened, and make adjustments for that.

A properly trimmed and balanced Champ is a pussycat and any 8 year old can learn to fly in ten minutes. But a badly trimmed or balanced -anything- can be extremely difficult if not impossible for a very experienced pilot.

Quote:
and also what is endpoints?
Download the PDF manual for your radio, and do a search for 'endpoints.' That will explain what they do and how to adjust them.
Oct 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
I have two Champs and both have a slight bit of right rudder and fly straight.
Oct 23, 2013, 10:41 AM
Its been pretty quiet here lately. has anyone been out flying their Champs lately?
Oct 23, 2013, 12:50 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
For me, it's going to be the Mini Vapor at lunch time. Then I just got my replacement Champ from Amazon last night -- Rudder servo motor failed in the first one. Returned within 30 days. So, I have the replacement (Camp Mark 2!) in the car, waiting for me to stop on the way home to try her out after work!
Last edited by thosmosis; Oct 23, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
Oct 23, 2013, 01:48 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2
Its been pretty quiet here lately. has anyone been out flying their Champs lately?
Every chance we get. Come over to New Jersey. It's becoming a tradition at our club to fly the Champ during lunch intermission. Have a few up at a time. Every regular at our club has one, well as of today, when an intermediate pilot showed without a plane & I had him fly mine. He ordered one before he left.

Join our Gallery of Champs at
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=champ+galleri
Oct 23, 2013, 02:07 PM
Its cool that you guys are flying the Champ at intermissions at your club. Unfortunately, New Jersey is a little too far for me to travel as I live in Illinois. Thanks for the offer though and I love the gallery thread. If I ever learn to post a picture, it would be great to post them on the thread.
Oct 23, 2013, 09:11 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Well, I got to fly the Mini Vapor twice during the day. Sneaking out at work, and flying in the courtyard. (Cigarette break!)

But my ideas of maidening my replacemt Chap was foiled. Got to the park. One side had lots of little kids with soccer balls. Left. Went back two hours later. Still stragglers, and it was getting late. Rats!

Tomorrow I'm off work for business at home. But have four hours easy if I get up at the break of dawn! I'll bring the T28, if the Champ, and my newbie flying skills get better.

Up to handling 7MPH winds with the Champ. But it's all over the place at times and I've been in a big area of open space.

It's the white knuckle "learning" moments that do it! And it happens often.

Part of me feels that if I actually wasn't on the verge of destruction around a few corners of flight each time -- how much more I would love it. I'd say none more. I really don't want to get better, and want to stay at beginner level, where it's a rush to land without falling to pieces.
Oct 23, 2013, 09:50 PM
My recommendations for flying in the wind: Calm ~ 0 to 2 mph is a great start for beginners; Breeze ~ 3 to 4 mph is ok for advanced beginners, constant input required; Wind ~ 5 to 7 mph is for advanced beginners, application of down elevator and trim will be required to maintain level; Windy ~ 8+ mph good luck, it will fly more like a kite, may want to consider attaching a kite string.
Oct 23, 2013, 09:56 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Really, the fun was graduating -- the wind. I never would have flown in 7MPH starting out -- a month ago.

Flying in a breeze (between buildings in the city) three times a day (with the PZ Mini Vapor) during work breaks, has helped me to understand flight in wind. Though I have a limit. I don't want to fly in 7MH with the Champ. But when in Rome, and itching to fly -- you weigh your skills... We landed successfully every time -- pretty much... and went through three batteries. So, it was a success!!
Last edited by thosmosis; Oct 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Oct 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
Elfi Flyer
With rare exception, I always bring my Champ #2 to the field when I am going to be flying other planes. When the wind prevents my other micros from flying (exception, the UMX Habu 180 EDF), I put up my Champ and really enjoy the flight.

RD
Oct 31, 2013, 03:32 PM

Motor Cooked

My Champ motor got cooked today. Signs to look for: Stage 0: (I disconnected the battery, plugged it in again firmly and it was fine after that.); Stage 1 (periodically sputters with fresh battery); Stage 2 (full throttle, no response, spin the prop by hand and she goes); Final Stage (low power). Have a P-51 motor mothballed in the hanger.

P.S. It had a total of 13 flight hours logged.

UPDATE: It was not the motor. See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=18602
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Nov 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: update
Oct 31, 2013, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear that. At least there isn't much to changing out the motor. The p51 motor should be a direct fit.
My new champ only has maybe 5 hours on it and the sputtering and dying out at full throttle are starting to happen already.
Oct 31, 2013, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2
Sorry to hear that. At least there isn't much to changing out the motor. The p51 motor should be a direct fit.
My new champ only has maybe 5 hours on it and the sputtering and dying out at full throttle are starting to happen already.
yep direct fit and a little extra zip to boot.

Quick Reply