Oct 02, 2013, 05:38 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2
Thanks North, I forgot about a nose-over while forgetting to kill the throttle. That would make the magic smoke come out for sure. I fuse would be a good idea!
I bought packs of pico fuses off ebay at amperages suitable for my LED systems... I should have grabbed some at suitable amperage for the Champ electronics... not sure what that would be though... in other words, at what amp draw a Champ's motor and/or FETs fry. Hmmm
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
Custom User Name Title
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
Ben, I forgot your CC has OCP. That would be one of the things I was talking about , so I guess it does exist. How does it work?
I have no idea how it works electrically but it detects if the motor is pulling more than approx. 6A on the UMX brick and it deactivates the throttle channel. Pulling your stick on the tx to 0 resets it and it will rearm usually within a second or two, allowing you to glide ok unless you're hovering your Beast3d.

Quote:
I bought packs of pico fuses off ebay at amperages suitable for my LED systems... I should have grabbed some at suitable amperage for the Champ electronics... not sure what that would be though... in other words, at what amp draw a Champ's motor and/or FETs fry. Hmmm
I dunno what amp draw they'll fry at but a Champ motor nominally pulls around max 0.8A. I am running two of them in parallel on an AR6400 brick with a 2A ESC for a scratchbuild contest I'm doing and it hasn't had any problems yet, even with full throttle fresh battery thrust testing.
Oct 02, 2013, 09:17 PM
Good info, Ben. Thanks.
Oct 02, 2013, 10:00 PM
Custom User Name Title
By the way, it looks as if the two Champ motors on an AR6400 1S setup, with the UM Mossie props, will put out around 50g of thrust. Not too shabby.
Oct 03, 2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Arguably, one of the most successful, "right out of the box" micros out there, and IMHO, one of the best "starter" micros for those new to the venue. Reasons for it's success? Take your pick:

- Easy to see in the air
- Will fly in light to moderate winds
- Stronger motor than the comparison UM J-3 cub, with stronger prop shaft
- Good availability of spare parts
- Can be flown in large indoor facilities
- and, BIG advantage, DSM2/DSMX compatible. Amazing for a non-ParkZone product.

One major caution: Be VERY careful when working with micros! They can be VERY addictive. You will find that, like good potato chips, you can't have just one!! Don't ask how I know!

RD
Ah... mate you got some toys there bud +1 for you my friend. lol
I would like to get out flying agian soon (mini cp & Champ) but the weather hear has turned crap, oh well what can you do.

Red
Oct 03, 2013, 03:16 PM

Champ with OCP Issues

I have had about 70-80 flights on my Champ. It has been flying great with everything original. In the first few flights while learning, I did crash few times. But glued the wing back. But I have not crashed for last 50+ flights.

But lately, many times my champ won't start with new freshly charged batteries! Motor starts and quits right away. After 10-15 attempts, it starts. Sometimes, different battery does not have the issue. I am using eflite and nanotech batteries. Has anyone else seen this issue? Is my receiver going bad? How do I find if this is OCP or LVC issues? Is it possible to drop the voltage at the start below LVC cutoff and then it recovers back? I have checked the voltage of these batteries after this issue and it is always over 4.
Oct 03, 2013, 03:17 PM
Custom User Name Title
I wouldn't be too amazed by the DSM2/DSMX compatibility... after all, Hobbyzone is a Horizon brand, who manufactures Parkzone, E-Flite, Hangar 9, Spektrum, Losi, etc etc etc. Hope I didn't burst your bubble too much.

Ben
Oct 03, 2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze
I have had about 70-80 flights on my Champ.

But lately, many times my champ won't start with new freshly charged batteries! Motor starts and quits right away. After 10-15 attempts, it starts. Sometimes, different battery does not have the issue.
The motor brushes are worn out. The slightly stronger battery can sometimes overcome that, but that will eventually fail too. Be aware that those '10-15 attempts' plus very short flights are tearing the *snot* out of the batteries and will drastically shorten their lifespan.

The only real fix is to change the motor. There are brushed options better than stock: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1326158 or for a real kick in the pants major upgrade to brushless: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1283423
Oct 03, 2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraze
I have had about 70-80 flights on my Champ. It has been flying great with everything original. In the first few flights while learning, I did crash few times. But glued the wing back. But I have not crashed for last 50+ flights.

But lately, many times my champ won't start with new freshly charged batteries! Motor starts and quits right away. After 10-15 attempts, it starts. Sometimes, different battery does not have the issue. I am using eflite and nanotech batteries. Has anyone else seen this issue? Is my receiver going bad? How do I find if this is OCP or LVC issues? Is it possible to drop the voltage at the start below LVC cutoff and then it recovers back? I have checked the voltage of these batteries after this issue and it is always over 4.
I went through this a year ago. No one suggested at the time the motor was going bad (it did get alot of use that summer) and we chased alot of dead ends including the possibility my Thunder Power pocket charger was not charging my lipos when it indicated it had. It was hair pulling, I thought my brick was going bad and was going to chuck it. This now seems to be the known cause... wish I knew this last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
I wouldn't be too amazed by the DSM2/DSMX compatibility... after all, Hobbyzone is a Horizon brand, who manufactures Parkzone, E-Flite, Hangar 9, Spektrum, Losi, etc etc etc. Hope I didn't burst your bubble too much.

Ben
Actually there is currently some moaning in the HZ Duet thread that that new HZ plane is not DSM2/X. So, maybe not amazed but I'm thankful

EDIT
My Blade Scout CX is also 2.4ghz non DSM2/X
Last edited by North_of_49; Oct 03, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Oct 03, 2013, 07:39 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows

Champ motor replacement

I always go with the E-flite EFL9052 black & white extra long wire.Twist the old one off, insert new one, a little special glue (I use clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant - 24 hr cure time) and you will have a stronger motor and flying again. That's the motor we all upgrade to at our club.
Oct 03, 2013, 11:10 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
I went through this a year ago. No one suggested at the time the motor was going bad (it did get alot of use that summer) and we chased alot of dead ends including the possibility my Thunder Power pocket charger was not charging my lipos when it indicated it had. It was hair pulling, I thought my brick was going bad and was going to chuck it. This now seems to be the known cause... wish I knew this last year.

Actually there is currently some moaning in the HZ Duet thread that that new HZ plane is not DSM2/X. So, maybe not amazed but I'm thankful

EDIT
My Blade Scout CX is also 2.4ghz non DSM2/X
yea thats because they are in a lower price point, they arent worth of spektrum compatability, and have their own special 2.4 system, they also dont have seperate chargers.... I bet the scout TX would fly a duet though....
Oct 03, 2013, 11:51 PM
That's what I sort of tried to explain to them (although the HH rep had already more or less done that already).
Oct 04, 2013, 10:51 AM

Good Trainer

Champ owners is this really good trainer that will help rc plane pilot progress into 4 channel? I am used to rudder on left stick after flying cp heli. Also would this be good beginner micro? I got UM-T28 on a whim but its bit fast for my to learn on. My goal is just scale flying micro size planes such as UM T-28 and UM P-51d As3x but I also like slow flyer for relax flying.
Oct 04, 2013, 10:55 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT

Oct 04, 2013, 01:47 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8
Champ owners is this really good trainer that will help rc plane pilot progress into 4 channel? I am used to rudder on left stick after flying cp heli. Also would this be good beginner micro? I got UM-T28 on a whim but its bit fast for my to learn on. My goal is just scale flying micro size planes such as UM T-28 and UM P-51d As3x but I also like slow flyer for relax flying.
Yes its great for progressing to a 4ch plane. 3ch or 4ch, you really dont fly them that differently. On both the main bank/turn control goes on the right stick, and on both you can completly ignore the left stick if you want (except throttle of course)

Quick Reply