Feb 07, 2013, 07:57 PM
Like a Tortoise
Use white gorilla glue, takes about 30 minutes to set up, and will expand. The trick is to set up tape, and place over the glue that will prevent expanding. practice on something?

Glue will do the trick.

Also you have a portable work shop, the box,

How fast were you going to snap off the wing?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2013, 08:07 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin
my motor stopped working so i called tech support and they had me open the plane. the motor got disconnected from the esc. now its working but i fear it might get disconnected again.

question, is the tape holding the plane together removable without it taking off paint of the plane? i tried taking some off but the paint came off. since im going to add scotch tape to tape it back together i dont want any extra weight.
brady, I haven't finished reading the replies so this might have been answered already, but I don't remove the original tape... I razor the slit between the 2 halves. Then when you put new tape on you just put it right over top of the old tape... make it a little smaller so you can peel it off the base tape layer next time you want to open the plane. You're not building up multiple layers, you're just keeping one base layer (the original tape) so it never lifts the paint, and adding and removing one more layer as you open and close up the fuse. The second layer weighs nothing... heck, if your Scout can handle a bit of Scotch tape, the Champ certainly can.

I guess I should have read the next post. Nevermind
Feb 07, 2013, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare
How fast were you going to snap off the wing?
I was landing, not fast at all, no throttle, just caught off guard by a gust of wind at the last second so it rolled to the side and popped the wing in half. It was my first time flying, I realize that I shouldn't have tried landing with the wind coming at me from the side, live and learn like I said. I am glad the wing is fixable, wish I had someone with experience around to help with the fix. Any champ flyers in Bryan TX?

Do I take the wing off to glue it or glue it on the plane?
Feb 07, 2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head
Do I take the wing off to glue it or glue it on the plane?
You'd probably have to destroy the wing to take it off... it's held on with 2 sided tape... I don't know if anyone's managed to remove it without wrecking it.
Feb 07, 2013, 08:44 PM
Quote:
I flew for the first time today. It was awesome, it only took a minute or two to get used to the controls and then it was pure bliss swooping around with almost no throttle. Unfortunately it was a little windy and on my third landing to change batteries it flipped on the ground and broke the wing on one side off. I am a little upset that I have to replace the wing after my first flight but you live and learn. What I learned is that this is fun and 12 bucks is a small price to pay to do it again tomorrow Any tips on this wing replacement? I am tempted to tape it back together but I know nothing about dihedral or any other plane stuff so I am sure it wouldn't fly right.
As Hare posted a little glue and tape and go flying. This is my beater plane that I bought off here it is my Champ #2 (was) I did replace the wing last week out of boredom but It still flew before the replacement. I have yet to get it in the air since the wing was replaced. Gotta love this Ohio weather...:-(

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...20%2827%29.JPG
Feb 07, 2013, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
You'd probably have to destroy the wing to take it off... it's held on with 2 sided tape... I don't know if anyone's managed to remove it without wrecking it.
North,

hello buddy..
Yep, you do destroy the wing Just did it last week... No other way to cut through the double sided tape they use when mounting. Especially if the wing had a snap in it before hand.

Here is the replacement tutorial and they say yes you will most likely trash the old wing on removal.

HorizonHobby.com How To - HobbyZone Champ Wing Replacement (6 min 12 sec)
Feb 07, 2013, 08:58 PM
Feb 07, 2013, 08:59 PM
Gotta love youtube. There are several videos of how to fix the wing with gorilla glue and paperclips or toothpicks. I am definitely going to try this tomorrow. May order the wing as a backup plan and because I will eventually need it. Any other parts I might need while I am paying shipping?
Feb 07, 2013, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Gotta love youtube. There are several videos of how to fix the wing with gorilla glue and paperclips or toothpicks. I am definitely going to try this tomorrow. May order the wing as a backup plan and because I will eventually need it. Any other parts I might need while I am paying shipping?
Well those tail feathers are pretty fragile, maybe an extra prop?
Feb 07, 2013, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio
North,

hello buddy..
Yep, you do destroy the wing Just did it last week... No other way to cut through the double sided tape they use when mounting. Especially if the wing had a snap in it before hand.

Here is the replacement tutorial and they say yes you will most likely trash the old wing on removal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjNPOme2EM
I remember that vid... am adding to favorites
Feb 07, 2013, 09:18 PM
Hey North, my brother driving to Toronto tonight trying to beat this snow storm coming, his vacation to Aruba was to fly out of Pittsburgh, Pa tommorow eve and they have already cancelled that flight next closest one was Toronto so he road tripping it trying to get up and gone before the snow hits the fan.
Feb 07, 2013, 09:19 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Quote:
Good idea with the toothpicks. The round type. Cut them down a bit and re-point it. That with the Gorilla (as hare suggests)OR thick CA (foam safe). When that dries, a layer of clear packaging tape. Re-check CG with batt. Fly.

Mike
Feb 07, 2013, 09:19 PM
you read my mind, I bent my tail feather over too, it still flew but was harder to control, I figured I could stiffen it with tape for now but was going to pick one up for when it goes. Bought a prop when I bought the plane at the hobby shops advice. Should have bought a wing, when I called to see if they had one they said they just sold their last one.
Feb 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
This mod keeps my tail feathers from folding over...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1683386

well, unless you pile drive it into a tree full throttle

Feb 07, 2013, 09:29 PM
North, a slew of questions from that link:
what tires are those and do they fit right on, I had to hand launch because the tiny wheels were useless on sandy path I tried to fly off of?
Do the wing braces help and will 2mm carbon rod work for them? I have some 2mm at home.
I guess I didn't mean tail feathers I bent the horizontal part of the tail but I like your struts and if I do that I was thinking of using a piece of the really thin rod taped to the part I bent to keep it strait. Is this viable?

Quick Reply