Jun 16, 2010, 08:12 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
Yes it's the voltage and yours is over done as it a 4.8 volt battery. Mine will read around 5.2 - 5.5 when in use..

Thanks for the help, I did not think it was overdone because the meter was only a little above half but I guess I don't want to overcharge
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
I had my maiden this morning, but am having some trim issues.

On takeoff, my Champ was horribly out of trim - strong tendency to yaw to the left and way too much up elevator (even though the control surfaces were set to neutral). I maxed out the digital trim on the elevator and got her flying somewhat straight, but decided to land to adjust the pushrod loops. Long story short, I've got what looks like a lot of right trim dialed in and a noticable amount of down elevator too. She flies straight now, but the control surfaces are no where near the neutral position.

I also notice that she tends to climb sharply at full throttle. That, combinded with the need for significant down elevator trim tells me she's flying a bit tail-heavy. This is with the stock battery as far forward as possible.

Just wondering if my experience is an isolated case or if anyone else has noticed the same characteristics??

Thanks!
Jun 16, 2010, 08:53 PM
James Stockton
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh
The jack requires a lot of pressure though
oh ya i forgot about that
a great project you got there
its just a much fun make things up
and building stuff as it is to fly them
i love it
Jun 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer
I also notice that she tends to climb sharply at full throttle. That, combinded with the need for significant down elevator trim tells me she's flying a bit tail-heavy. This is with the stock battery as far forward as possible.
Well-trimmed and balanced my Champ will still climb pretty steeply at full throttle and neutral elevator. I think that's just the nature of the plane. This is my first model-grade rc plane - when researching, I had understood that one only needs to trim a plane with the first few flights and then you're set. However, I find I occasionally change the elevator trim depending on wind conditions, battery, with/without landing gear to get it to fly nice. I was getting bad porpoising one day without the landing gear and assumed it was too tail heavy and put the gear back on - but now it flies perfect without the landing gear, so not sure what I did.

When would one want to adjust the throttle trim?
Jun 16, 2010, 09:21 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer
I had my maiden this morning, but am having some trim issues.

On takeoff, my Champ was horribly out of trim - strong tendency to yaw to the left and way too much up elevator (even though the control surfaces were set to neutral). I maxed out the digital trim on the elevator and got her flying somewhat straight, but decided to land to adjust the pushrod loops. Long story short, I've got what looks like a lot of right trim dialed in and a noticable amount of down elevator too. She flies straight now, but the control surfaces are no where near the neutral position.

Just wondering if my experience is an isolated case or if anyone else has noticed the same characteristics??

Thanks!
Mine flew hands off out of the box,, still does,, but then I don't take off with full power, I don't fly around at full power. Remember that power is used for climbing with this type of plane not speed. If you are looking for something to fly around at full power get a P-51..
Jun 16, 2010, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve
Mike, if you do a loop (shallow dive and then hard up elevator) and then just blip down elevator at the top of the loop, you can get some inverted flight. Just be sure to be high enough, because there will be a big swoop down when you hit up elevator again to get upright.

As for rolls, the closest I've been able to get is to do a dive to gain speed, and then go into a loop with some right rudder. Back off the elevator at the top of the loop but keep the rudder over, and you get a kind of "corkscrew". Not a true barrel roll, but interesting.

Found the ground rather hard last night and slightly bent the prop shaft. Best to replace it, or can you straighten it w/ needle nose pliers?
Thanks for the tips. I've been trying that method to get it inverted but can't do it very consistently, but I may be doing too much down elevator at the top of the loop. It feels like I need to hold down elevator to keep it inverted, flying it nose up about 30deg. Can altering the throttle through the loop (more or less) help get it inverted?

The best way to get back upright seems to just give it rudder and it'll do a 180deg roll with little altitude loss - I find if I accidentally blip rudder while inverted it'll roll right over.
Jun 16, 2010, 09:24 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotoper
Well-trimmed and balanced my Champ will still climb pretty steeply at full throttle and neutral elevator. I think that's just the nature of the plane. This is my first model-grade rc plane - when researching, I had understood that one only needs to trim a plane with the first few flights and then you're set. However, I find I occasionally change the elevator trim depending on wind conditions, battery, with/without landing gear to get it to fly nice. I was getting bad porpoising one day without the landing gear and assumed it was too tail heavy and put the gear back on - but now it flies perfect without the landing gear, so not sure what I did.

You use the throttle trim when you are flying with a fuel powered engine and want to set the idle speed/stop the engine. With electric it always left down all the way..
Jun 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the reply Biotoper - it sounds like you have been experiencing the exact same things I've noticed. I just ran out to do a quick couple of flights in dead-calm wind, and it flew much more true. I do still have some noticeable right-rudder trim, but it doesn't bother me while flying. In the calm air, I was able to get a feel for climbing and decending on pure throttle alone. I'm sure some of my bigger planes behave the same way, but they are usually going much faster (and are farther away) for me to really notice it.

The Champ was flying great tonight - very nice and gentle turns, touch-and-go's, loops and ugly looking hammer heads. What a great plane - Hobbyzone hit the nail on the head with this one! I've been waiting for a plane like this for several years now.
Jun 16, 2010, 09:35 PM
James Stockton
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwrx
Just got my dx6i in the mail today. It is going to be hard for the first few flights because I am used to the stock transmitter where the rudder is on the right side of the controls and now with the dx6i it will be on my left. Anyone else out there have to relearn the controls? How easy was it?
what are you flying the champ ?
if you are
it might be that you got a dx6i setup for mode 4
most of us have a mode 2 tx
the stock tx is a mode 2 also

go here see to what that's about
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-...ter-modes.html
is this transmitter new
because Spektrum only make them in mode 1 and mode2
to get it to setup for mode 4 you have to take it apart unsolder wires and a hole lot more
Jun 16, 2010, 09:45 PM
Yeah, the Champ seems like the perfect 1st plane - really easy way to enter the hobby. Last night I was able to fly it for a while just skimming a inch or so above the tall grass without the landing gear. Very cool. I really want to get my wife out with me to take some nice video.
Jun 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Yeah, the Champ seems like the perfect 1st plane - really easy way to enter the hobby. Last night I was able to fly it for a while just skimming a inch or so above the tall grass without the landing gear. Very cool. I really want to get my wife out with me to take some nice video.

It's also a nice 25th - 1001th plane. It's the most relaxing plane that I have ever flown... Once it's in the air you can't even tell it's so small.. Still shocks me when I land it at my feet and once again see how small it is..
Jun 16, 2010, 09:56 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Because it handles so well you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
It's also a nice 25th - 1001th plane. It's the
most relaxing plane that I have ever flown... Once it's in the air you can't even tell it's so small.. Still shocks me when I land it at my feet and once again see how small it is..
Jun 16, 2010, 10:04 PM
The building never ends!
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I've been trying that method to get it inverted but can't do it very consistently, but I may be doing too much down elevator at the top of the loop. It feels like I need to hold down elevator to keep it inverted, flying it nose up about 30deg. Can altering the throttle through the loop (more or less) help get it inverted?

The best way to get back upright seems to just give it rudder and it'll do a 180deg roll with little altitude loss - I find if I accidentally blip rudder while inverted it'll roll right over.
I prefer to roll mine inverted . . . that way it's not going inverted and going the opposite direction from where it started (mind you, that first involves nailing the rudder roll, which is a tough maneuver to master as it is.) Once it's inverted, you'll need to keep it from flopping back over. It will also descend while it picks up airspeed. It is possible to get it to climb while inverted, but it needs to get enough airspeed that it stops sinking first. My best inverted flights have started with lots of room and lots of altitude.
Jun 16, 2010, 10:14 PM
Embargo lifted.
I have been trying to get a good inverted flight but it tends to just flop over. The short inverted flights I've had I have had no problem doing the rudder roll which look very cool. Any inverted tips on keeping it inverted would be greatly appreciated.
I am using the GWS 5043 with the control horns in the original hole. Would giving it more throw help??

I love my champ even though i have 10 other planes as it's like flying a real plane, looks like a plane and I can fly it almost anywhere.
Jun 16, 2010, 10:34 PM
I am getting random servo lock on my rudder servo.... causing awesome death dives that always happen over the road. Anyone have any ideas? I do no think its the hinges since I re did them since it started, It even happens when I am not extending the servo all the way, I am using dx5e so no real fancy features.

Though I have over 120+flights on it, the servo's shouldn't give out right?

Quick Reply