Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by fishycomics
Suspended Account
Mudd.....

when thechamp cuts out is it just whenever, or when you give thr.

I found if I gave lets say 70% thr, Iget cut out. once I cut back to 60% perfect. the motor was replaced no more cut out.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by pugsam
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Fishy: thanks for the clarification. All this time I thought it was the Dutch Roll!

RD

Gotta love the Crusader

Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by kodak_jack

Champ Dies for No Good Reason

I have also had mine die on me and tonight was a perfect example. I started flying and after only a minute or two, it just stopped and glided down. The battery is fairly new and fully charged, so, let's try again. It did the same thing - it died after about a minute or two. After that, I swear I flew for a good 10 minutes without a problem again. I've had mine for about a year and a half and it does this quite often. No, fishy, it wasn't being given throttle, it was just flying along at about 1/3 throttle - in the middle of things.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Have you gotten the champ leveled.
Nope. I treat my Champ #2 with TLC. Did the same with Champ #1, but it still flew away, almost one year ago.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:12 AM
Suspended Account
Dam more I hear these stories, More HH should be told. As well. maybe comensation or a discount in the near future???
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
Elfi Flyer
Discount on a replacement plane? I could go that!

Champ #1's loss was not HH's fault, pure pilot error....got her WAY out there too far, about 800+ feet, and could not tell if I was coming or going. Standard figure 8 procedure to reestablish orientation didn't help all that much as Champ #1 went flying behind some very tall trees and I flat out lost her. S&R turned up nothing. Even placed "Lost" posters in mailboxes all around the area. No dice. So, Champ #2 now the official replacement. First and only plane to date that has been "completely" lost.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Never stop being a kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Standard figure 8 procedure to reestablish orientation...
I did a quick search, and didn't find any references to this, but it seems a little complicated. Having lost orientation at great distances a couple times recently (caught in a strong wind combined with strong thermal or upslope lift), I would like to know more about this.

It seems to me that trying to execute and interpret the motion of a consistent figure-8 pattern when you've lost orientation due to distance could be difficult.

Right offhand, I'm thinking it would be easier to fly a consistent, large, right-hand circle, and when the plane reaches the extreme right end of its visible lateral motion (or left end of a left-hand circle), it's headed toward you.

In the two cases mentioned above, I just got a little lucky, and was able to tell when I had it headed back toward me without consciously analyzing the control response.

I'd be interested in hearing how other experienced pilots handle this.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by jwp2
I like to fly in a small circle with no throttle and a bit of down elevator till I gain orientation.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
I know this has been addressed before, but besides Center of Gravity, always check to be sure your prop angle is slightly to the right and cocked downward a couple degrees.
I made the mistake of straightening my prop when I replaced the motor with a T-28 motor: and the results caused dolphin dipping and erratic flight.

Now I actually add some exaggerated right and down tilt and like the way it responds to it.

I've been flying the big Airfield Cessna 182 (55") and Dynam T-28 too much and need to get back to some relaxing Champin'.

Mac
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Big Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
I know this has been addressed before, but besides Center of Gravity, always check to be sure your prop angle is slightly to the right and cocked downward a couple degrees.
I made the mistake of straightening my prop when I replaced the motor with a T-28 motor: and the results caused dolphin dipping and erratic flight.

Now I actually add some exaggerated right and down tilt and like the way it responds to it.

I've been flying the big Airfield Cessna 182 (55") and Dynam T-28 too much and need to get back to some relaxing Champin'.

Mac
Get a Fun Cub brother, lol
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
It seems to me that trying to execute and interpret the motion of a consistent figure-8 pattern when you've lost orientation due to distance could be difficult. ..., I'm thinking it would be easier to fly a consistent, large, right-hand circle, and when the plane reaches the extreme right end of its visible lateral motion (or left end of a left-hand circle), it's headed toward you. .
I was doing the right hand turn technique, as part of a figure 8 pattern, and then "lost" it. Your procedure, as described, would be best.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
Big Jim
For what its worth, a figure eight is the best pattern to fly to develop muscle memory and learn orientation. If you get disoriented cut the power and stop messing with her take a 600 foot walk of reflection and go again. To continue to fly disoriented will and usually does result in less than desirable results.
This advice was given to me a year ago, so I will pass it on. These are the six rules to sucsess
1. WIND= needs to be calm
2. Orientation= fly figure eights both directions
3. Over Control = Fy with small gental inputs
4. Preflight Check= Look at it all from batterys to prop condition, and location of area you intend to fly
5. Altitude= Two mistakes high for a champ about 40 feet
6. Speed = keep it slow so you can correct a negative input
Please Check my blog I have a ton of great info
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Fly em if ya got em.
Haha, I remember that video Big Jim. Whoopas!!!!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
Big Jim
Thanks Lee that was the first time I put myself in a vid, should I post it again?
Check this out ......If you love micros this is a must see
Champ Swarm (6 min 34 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:14 AM
Suspended Account
great advice Big Jim

Fly her like you stole her. nah on a good note this is a learnig Plane learn everything you can, to advance to bigger and better things trust me, I learned a lot from all, here. next step ............