Octocopter for aerial photography with - FPV - OSD - Head tracker - RC Groups
Mar 25, 2010, 03:40 AM
Discussion

Octocopter for aerial photography with - FPV - OSD - Head tracker

Ok so I am starting to build an aerial photography platform on a Octocopter and I need the following features:

1 - FPV flight distance no more than 1.5 km
2 - OSD
3 - Position hold with GPS-Baro-compas (or something that works)
4 - Pan tilt roll camera controlled by head tracker
5 - Camera trigger
6 - 15-20 min flight with a payload of 1kg (1.5kg will be pushing it... )

I would like to know if you can help me chose the most stable but also cost efective components for this. I know there are a million setups but nothing beats experience.

From what I have read till now I thought about the following:

1. Octocopter

- MK electronics - (the only problem here is they don't allow commercial use... anybody with experience in that matter?) what other board would you recommend? UAVX, QuadPowered? andy advice would be welcome.
- 12x4.7 Proppelers
- Custom made frame (eventually foldable with coaxial motors)

2. FPV - Here I would go for a 500mW 1.2 GhZ transmitter and maybe a diversity receiver... any advice? It has to be portable and have a max range of 1.5km
- I would like to use the on board camera's live view also instead of a separate mini camera - what are the draw backs here and why should I use something different?
- For ground monitoring I would use a small monitor and FatShark - any other systems outhere worth the attention? There are many video gogles but it is hard to chose if you have never seen them.

3. OSD - here I am in the dark and advice will be welcomed

4. Pan tilt roll camera mount with gyro stabilizer and eventually head tracker. Is a head tracker practicle for aerial photography? What camera mount would you chose for this task? The camera I plan tu use will be a micro four thirds or something like Canon 11g - GoPro

5. IR remote on board to trigger the camera ... will it work? I thought using a reley to activate the remote.

6. Batteries - maybe a 5000mAh lipo - what brand is good and not too expensive?

Do I need anything else? What is your experience and how often do this octos crush?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2010, 03:30 PM
Anybody out there?