Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
watching with great interest..
I like the balljoint, where have you sourced it from?
I've got to get a shed so i can start some projects, one day!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2010, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris williams
Good Lord, that's quick work, you're making me look positively slow! Please tell me you don't have a day job?
Huh. From You I consider this as an compliment. But then again, this plane is dead simple and one of the most straightforward planes I have done in ages. And it is designed by you. So I comment back that you have designed an fast building plane.

I have day job, an rather demanding one. Grinding balsa gives me way of relaxing. And getting mind to do something else than counting beans. This day job gives me problem as I will be travelling best part of next week. So things will slow down. Considerably.

Tuomas
Apr 11, 2010, 01:56 AM

ball links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod Jockey
watching with great interest..
I like the balljoint, where have you sourced it from?
I've got to get a shed so i can start some projects, one day!
Hi,

I purchased them from http://www.der-schweighofer.at/wg/37...nks_ball_bolts. Fast delivery and reasonable prices, if total is over 50 eur then delivery cost is 0 eur (within EU). I am slightly dissapointed in these links. They look extra nice, but ... they are easy to dismantle, just press ball lightly. They are not too smooth and the threads in pushrod end are slightly sloppy. But I guess that they have their uses.

Tuomas
Apr 11, 2010, 02:21 AM
This day job gives me problem as I will be travelling best part of next week.

Ah, reality bites...
Apr 11, 2010, 01:08 PM

Moving on..

Yes, it turned out to be straight. No bananas yet.

Today I had only little time to do building, which was cut in half by epoxy hardening. Did keel laminations, forward part of top aft ply, glassing top part of fus, wing center box & joiners.

Pic's tell the story.

Couple comments:

- I used wing saddle width of 21cm. Cannot locate that in plans, but this seems suitable.
- It is good idea to mark joiner box positions while fuz parts are still on the plan. Then they are in straight angle and in correct pos.
- Nifty tip of day; you can locate positions marked inside of ply fuz by putting strong magnet inside and mark corresponding location outside using second magnet.

Tuomas
Apr 17, 2010, 02:25 PM

Back to bench

Ok, Back to business. I was away from my shop in business trip so nothing has happened. Sad. All this work takes time from more interesting things. Like model building.

Epoxied fuselage wing boxes to place, glued nose together and had an long look to aerotow hook.

In magazine build CW did use different way of constructing nose. I will include aerotow hook so I think that this is better way. Building it from block wood makes it stronger.

Tuomas
Last edited by tuootal; Apr 17, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Apr 17, 2010, 03:31 PM
Glad to see another Petrel will soon be born. Mine was completed at 1.3.5 about 2005 and has not missed a beat.
Watching with interest.
Paul.
New Zealand.
Apr 18, 2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglan
Glad to see another Petrel will soon be born. Mine was completed at 1.3.5 about 2005 and has not missed a beat.
Watching with interest.
Paul.
New Zealand.
Thanks,

could you share us an photo?

Tuomas
Apr 18, 2010, 03:55 PM

Small steps

Today I did base of rudder. This was slightly tricky as there are big objects which need to get aligned to each other. And small error leads to big problems. Neverthless I think I got it right. At least it looks straight. Fuz is still slightly wobbly as the lower plywood sheeting is still missing. It might end up twisted. You never know, untill you are at field and somebody say's something rude :-)

Pic's tell story.

Tuomas
ps : okay, I did also many other things, like assemble football (that is soccer to you americans) goals for kids, trampoline ladders, started barbeque season, elevator pushrods, nose drilling for hook etc. etc...
Apr 22, 2010, 02:46 PM

I have been busy doing things I get paid for, ie. counting and classifying beans. .. That has prevented me entering my shop, but I sneaked in and did some minor things.

Tuomas
ps : my shop really needs cleaning..
Apr 26, 2010, 02:56 PM

Motor pylon & support

Made an motor pylon & support. The aerotow events are too rare here and I want to exploit empty abandoned airfields.

I have been trying to find an suitable pylon tube for a while. Finally I found something which is pretty much acceptable. It is GF broomstick, worth 10eur in local general store. It is extremely rigid, it's thickness is ok (~22mm) and it is cheap. I can make several pylons with different motors etc. The piece in pic's weights approx 50g, so it is not overly heavy.

Only challenge was to make an suitable tube for installation into fuselage. I made it by laminating several layers of GF-cloth over protected broomstick. And then wrapping it in plastic.

I made an royal mess while glassing support & tube to fuselage, but I guess it stays there. I will refrain from publishing photos of finalized support :-).

Tuomas
Apr 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
Go for it
A pylon mount should be good as you don't have any slopes/tugs about
I'm very interested in your set up when finalised!
Iain
Apr 26, 2010, 05:11 PM
Fascinating stuff, Tuomas.

Wish I could find that B&W photo of the full-size Petrel with a power pod fitted. Think it was in the 1960's, when Wing Commander Ken Wallis (of autogyro fame) owned it. Or did I dream the whole thing? Nurse, I need my medication...

Rog
Apr 27, 2010, 03:21 PM

comments,

Guys, thank for your support,

Iain - I live in Finland. Which is rather peculiar place. We are the 5th biggest country in Europe (by land area). But when it comes to population we have less inhabitants than Boston metropolitan area. So the population density is ... low. Really, really low. You could fit 3 Finnish nations in Los Angeles and you still would have room for 1 million extra persons. Which means that propability of just bumping to tow plane is small. There is rather large amount of tow planes, but the aero-tow events are rare (5-8 per summer). We have two active scale glider clubs (nationwide), which have total of ~70 members.

Also, we have limited slopes. I envy Brits for their incredible slopes and (seemingly) constant, good, wind. Not rain, though. Nearest 'slope' is 270km from my shop.

So there is reasoning for motor pylon :-).

Rog - I would be more than happy if you would find photo. I could try to do some kind of near-scale adaptation of original motor pylon. That would be groovy.

Tuomas
Apr 27, 2010, 03:29 PM

and then back to business

As all the difficult parts of this build has been completed I will now start easier, labour intensive parts. But they are faster :-).

First in queue is planking of bottom part of fuselage. Pic's tell everything. I really hope that this still stays straight as there is real risk here.

Tuomas