Oct 25, 2010, 03:04 PM

momentous occasion!

The Pilot has arrived! I did order it during summer... and almost like from some strange saga ...

'I summoned him during summer,
as sun pampered us with warmth,
and when the first snow came,
he arrived'..

From AH Designs, located in some interesting place called Llanddulas - Nr Abergele - Clwyd. Have to think of suitable name, cannot pronounce that Llanddulas.

Pics below. These guy's look a bit grimm. They should lighten up. I do not blame them, I would be edgy also if I would be stuffed into mailbag for some weeks.

Tuomas
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2010, 05:47 AM
born again slope junkie
they look sweet Tuomas, still reading and watching,, and ordering the belair short kit in next coupla weeks,,
dave
Jan 16, 2011, 03:46 AM
Tuomas,

I was going to PM you, but I thought this is a forum so I would reignite a thread. Have you flown the Petrel with the motor mount/SLS.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3208143
I have just ordered a kit and was considering doing something similar, I am interested to know what sort of power setup you are using?

cheers cade
Jan 16, 2011, 12:56 PM

motor pod status

Hi Cade, long time no hear,

I did design motor pod, got parts cut, but... then summer ended. Too little time, too much to do. Anyway, below is some pics of design. I designed pod for Turningy C50-series motors. I think that they are powerfull enough for slow, gradual climb. I am not aiming to have an hotliner Petrel.

Design is quite simple and easily adaptable for any kind of motor. I have not yet glued parts, those parts fit rather well. Space between P2's is meant for speed controller. Some kind of vac-formed cover would be also useful.

Tuomas
Jan 18, 2011, 04:18 AM
Cheers Tuomas for the info.
I might start building this winter, june july hopefully. I have no shed so might have to build it in the house haven't told the misses yet oh well
keep us posted

Cade
Jan 18, 2011, 04:09 PM
Cade,

You can bet that I will post any progress. But it will be spring before anything happens. We are enjoying real winter here. Nothing flimsy mediterranean style cold. Good old fashioned winter with lot's snow and bitter winds.

Just an comment; I guess that you really should tell your wife. I suppose that it will hurt only once, and after a while you will be let indoors again. Meanwhile you might try to build that shed :-).

Tuomas
Nov 06, 2012, 10:10 AM
On a small rock in a big pond
Nice build, lovely workmanship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuootal
Also, Mr. Andersen's project means that my Petrel is no longer only one in nordic countries. At least I have not heard of Petrels in Sweden, Denmark or Iceland..
I'll let you know when I start on mine!
Nov 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
God Created me to Create
As much as I am a composites guy I love this plane so please document your build as much as you can.

Paul
Jun 20, 2016, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuootal
Went to shop to check some sheet thicknesses and eventually laid out some formers and thought ; 'what a heck, lets glue some to place' .. and ...

This is too easy & fast.

Tuomas
Were the stringer/longeron notches on the side of the fuse formers terribly aligned in the kit you received from Belair Kits? I thought maybe I had some formers upside down, but no, they were terribly aligned.
Jun 21, 2016, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman952
Were the stringer/longeron notches on the side of the fuse formers terribly aligned in the kit you received from Belair Kits? I thought maybe I had some formers upside down, but no, they were terribly aligned.
Oh my. This is rather old thread. My Petrel is still in one piece, but due other projects it has not seen too much air lately. Still great looking plane.

Yes. There were quite big variations in some parts. Some of notches were not in proper place. Biggest problems are in some wing ribs. I had to make couple of them again. Some of them were simply just too short (and narrow). Diff was around 5mm which is bad at trailing edge.

But then again, this is old plane and I guess it was hand-drawn. And with this size plane there is bound to be errors. I managed to fix all problems. I have no complaints, it is just life.

Tuomas
Jun 22, 2016, 04:12 AM
Yes, indeed the plan was drawn the old fashioned way, the ribs being produced by the sandwich method, about as accurate as your average weather forecast.

However, in recent years I built another one and redesigned the wing using Compufoil. There is a new build log here, where you can download the drawings, the ribs being designed to fit over the old plan. This new version has been modified to accommodate the conventional stab of the Red Petrel

http://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/vie...php?f=12&t=846

Video here:
THE RETURN OF THE PETREL (5 min 0 sec)
Jun 22, 2016, 07:46 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Hi Chris,
Are there any laser cutters in the UK that have all the latest data from yourself for a short kit please?
Thanks,
Andy
Jun 22, 2016, 10:14 AM
You could try Cliff Evans, Andy, he has cut parts for a lot of my plans?

cliff.evans@blueyonder.co.uk
Jun 22, 2016, 10:28 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
Ah yes, I was forgetting Cliff. Thanks Chris