Windrider 60 inch Scout Bee - Page 42 - RC Groups
Feb 11, 2018, 04:58 PM
Obsessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMPHREY1957
Thats when you fly other models. Windburners, Gizmos and heavy glass for example.

I have a Zagi clocked at 106MPH front side in 45knots at Manilla.

There are different horses for different courses.
And that's exactly why saying that Dreamflight planes are 10 times better than Windrider only makes sense if you only fly frontside in 10 knots. Stu (1000mph) has taken a Windrider Bee over 200 mph. Does that it make it 10 times better than an Alula or Libelle?
Last edited by screamin' eagle; Feb 11, 2018 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 05:11 PM
Another factor is this.
EPO foam is relatively easy to mold. The steam saturated beads expand into smaller
spaces with less venting required, allowing for smoother surfaces, and the foam sets to the
final shape more quickly. EPP foam molds require much more venting holes and as I
understand it, can expand a bit extra when the mold opens, which maked it tough to
get thin edges and sharp corners.

Making higher precision airfoils and especially thin control surfaces and verticals is just
a lot easier for Dreamflight to do with EPO than it is for Windrider to do with EPP.
I'm a big fan of both companies. I can combat and DS my Windrider planes for 2-3 years
at a stretch. The Dreamflight planes go together quickly and fly relatively well, but I'm
also coming up on my 3rd Libelle, and 2nd Ahi just due to normal wear and tear. They don't
last as long and you can only repair dented EPO with hot water so many times before the
beads are too puffed to keep the surface smooth.

I don't see their models as competitors to each other.

For whatever it's worth, the most precision molded EPP I've seen so far is on
the new Strix Nano Goblin. It has very thin trailing edges on the verticals
and also thin, foam hinged elevons. It flies a lot like the original Mini Weasel
but it's faster for its very low wing loading (mine is 230g with motor, ESC, flight controller
FPV camera+VTX, and 2S LiIon). I'm going to build a slope only version without
the motor but with some laminate that should be 175-200g. I've sloped, DS'ed
and even thermalled it with the paragliders (all FPV piloted).
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 11, 2018 at 05:24 PM.
Feb 12, 2018, 06:25 PM
__Jackass Savant__
building a scout bee as a sloper that i got from canuk. the wash in/out and LE and TE was pretty good for a ming job. I added carbon ribbon TE spars, a root spar, and will be laminating the sh*t out of it. short of a little sinking in the top of the wing where the servo pockets are, Im happy.

Quick Reply