Windrider 60 inch Scout Bee - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 05, 2010, 04:15 AM
Ming request a nice Scout Bee shot(flying) for using on the box cover sheet.

Ming Lou
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2010, 12:05 PM
"Will Slope For Food"
I have been flying my Scout for a short bit and I can tell this is a winner. Carries energy well and should prove to be a fun DS tool.

Thanks for a great wing Ming.

Steve
Jul 05, 2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
I have been flying my Scout for a short bit and I can tell this is a winner. Carries energy well and should prove to be a fun DS tool.

Thanks for a great wing Ming.

Steve
Thank! This is the reason we made Scout Bee.

Ming Lou
Jul 09, 2010, 12:24 AM
"Will Slope For Food"
Just a follow up.

Flew the Scout today in decent lift at a location we call Switchbacks. The DS groove was smooth most of the time and the Scout ate up the bumps when things got funky. Switchbacks can be a interesting place to fly right after a storm blows thru.

Massive thermals drifted thru and the Scout really shined at climbing the thermals quickly. While conditions were good for all around frontside flying and the DS groove was medium I look forward to more accelerated laps the next time conditions allow. This wing appears to have a lot of umphhhh under the hood.

Steve
Nov 27, 2010, 01:58 AM
Free shipping Scout Bee until 25/12 for X'mas sales.

Ming Lou
Dec 25, 2010, 03:38 PM
I recently received my scout bee from hong kong (arrived christmas eve - how's that for timing?).

There are only a couple of problems with it. Firstly there are no instructions with it at all. Are these available on the internet anywhere? I'm not sure i'll be following them precisely but i always read these things several times before deciding to do it differently.

Secondly the 2 lengths of carbon fibre rod that came with the wing have damaged it slightly. The carbon rod was in the box curled up into 2 large circles. These loops of carbon were present at the same end of the box as the wing root (the thickest part of the wing). As a result whenever the box was squeezed during transport the carbon fibre has dug into the foam of the wing at the wing root on the upper surface leaving a slightly curved impression in the foam.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to fix this? I want a nice smooth wing surface on my plane.

Some advice for ming - if you'd shipped the plane with the carbon fibre loop at the other end of the box where the wing is thinnest (by the wingtip) then you'd have had a bit more space so that the box could have been squeezed more before the wing was damaged.

This arrangement is likely to damage the wing.

This arrangement gives more space between the foam and the carbon fibre and also the carbon fibre can be held in place by looping it through the cable ties used to keep the rolls of tape in position.
Last edited by teslahed; Dec 25, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Dec 25, 2010, 03:48 PM
Tape it up and fly it!!!

Once the tapes are on you won't notice it.

My Bee's taken quite a beating this last season and it's not looking as good as day one but it still flies GREAT and it always goes with me on every trip.

LP
Dec 25, 2010, 04:11 PM
I was going to go with glass fibre tape on the leading edge and nose area and other weak points and then use laminating film on the whole aircraft.

In the past i've noticed laminating film sticks quite well and will show up any marks in the foam underneath. I'm thinking i need some kind of sandable filler.

Obviously the plane isn't going to fall out of the sky because of this but i do like my gliders to start off as close to 100% condition as possible. When i first started building and flying i wasn't so much the perfectionist - and my planes didn't fly so well. Funny that...
Last edited by teslahed; Dec 25, 2010 at 04:29 PM.
Dec 25, 2010, 04:21 PM
weisenflymanheimer
thin goop it a few times
Dec 25, 2010, 04:23 PM
I can't get hold of goop in the UK

If anyone knows a good source of goop in the UK i'm all ears
Dec 25, 2010, 04:33 PM
weisenflymanheimer
what about E6000 same same goop

buy goop on ebay pay for shipping marine goop is the stuff get 2 tubes I could send you some if there isn't some kind of terrorist restrictions.

thin with xylene
Dec 25, 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks snakecrew,

I found something called 'UV6800' after searching for E6000;

http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page35.htm

It's slightly more expensive and UV resistant. I may try this stuff. I can get the xylene from ebay easily enough.

Are there any particularly good forum posts / threads on using goop with thinners that you are aware of?
Dec 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
weisenflymanheimer
crap is toxic so what I do is use like a spagetti jar with a tight lid then empty a whole tube of the crap in there then add the xylene little at time and shake the jar until the mixture gets to a speadable consistancy use a small diposable paint roller to apply. should be like thin honey

pour some out on the wing roll it on if it is to thick thin it some more.

let dry then do it again you should have your ultra coat cut and ready to go when the last coat is just dry iron on the covering.

good luck put some new stuff on the leading edges
Dec 25, 2010, 05:47 PM
My plan was to go with new stuff all over, glass fibre reinforced tape on the nose and leading edges, and goop to fill the gaps.

Will i still benefit from gooping the whole aircraft or should i just use it for gap filling? How much weight does a thin coat of goop usually add?

Good advice on the mixing and consistancy there, thanks. I think i'll use a clean jam jar with a screw top so i can give it a good shake without it going anywhere.
Dec 25, 2010, 09:16 PM
Please use hair dryer to warm it up slightly.

Ming Lou
Last edited by Ming; Dec 25, 2010 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply