May 03, 2019, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Very nice Mustangs!

Here's my '87 GN. All-original, unrestored, numbers-matching car with nearly 200,000 miles on the clock. She has been slightly tweaked, though :

Stock 3.8L Buick V6 w/LT-1 valve springs, double-roller timing chain & gears. Walbro 340 pump, 42 lb. injectors, Red Armstrong chip. 3" intake, TA49 turbo, stock intercooler w/Duttweiler neck, water-injection, 3" d/p, 3" cat, dual 2 1/2" mandrel-bent exhaust, ATR Pit-Bulls. Trans rebuilt by Art Carr, 3000 RPM stall converter, HD forged Eaton posi w/Redline clutch-pack, Richmond 3.42:1 gears, Moser 31-spline forged axles. PST polygraphite bushing kit front & rear, GNX body bushings, GNX frame & body braces, Eibach springs, Bilstien shocks.

She currently pulls ~425 HP & nearly 550 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels @ 22 pounds of boost w/water-injection engaged. Still gets ~24 MPG on the highway with the A/C on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwIBNXwVe10

Joel
Thank you.

That is a sweet car. Nicely done with super tasteful mods. That gas mileage is very impressive, it rivals my newer mustang and I bet it is even better around town than my mustang is. I short trip my Mustang most of the time and I sit around 12 MPG.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2019, 02:35 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thanks!

City mileage is heavily dependent on how much I spool the turbo in town. If I drive it like grandma, I can get up to 18 MPG in town. Usually around 14-16, though. Problem is - I need to fill up with 100 octane race gas or AvGas to get full power, so fuel cost per mile is almost as high as an old-school big-block with dual-quads! However - I can also fill up with pump-gas premium for regular driving, and then turn on the water/alcohol injection & still run a low 12-sec quarter-mile or do a short 160+ MPH pass @ WOT.

Here are a few pics of the interior. A close friend of mine who builds violins made the center console cover w/dual cup-holders out of solid curly bird's-eye maple w/solid rosewood uprights. I put a gauge-pod on the console & one on the A-pillar, 'cause the car didn't come with any analog gauges. I also replaced the 85 MPH speedometer with a calibrated 145 MPH speedometer, installed a ScanMaster II ECU monitor, and a GTech performance computer.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
May 03, 2019, 03:58 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Neat! I like the wooden cupholder.

As a firm believer that natural wood goes well with pretty much anything, I've incorporated a bit into my 240 as well The shift knob is built up from mahogany, walnut, and basswood, then finished with a CA coating. It was originally just an experimental project, but I've been banging gears with it since last September and it shows no sign of weakness.

The rest of the console area has been a continuous work in progress since I got the car three years ago. It started out with a gaping hole in the dash where the radio belongs, and no boot or cover for the shifter since the previous owner manual swapped it. It's still not quite done...
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
May 04, 2019, 05:09 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thanks! The '80s G-body cars were notoriously "plasticy", so I wanted to do something to offset that a bit. I like your built-up shifter-knob, too! I've always had a soft-spot for wood in the right places. Do you have your own lathe, or did you use somebody's - or did you sand it down by hand?

So, I see that you had to fab your own center panel, too. What year is your 240? Is that an aftermarket computer display? Also - what's the scoop on the USB ports? Just for charging stuff, or also for ECU access?

Joel
May 04, 2019, 06:06 PM
I actually did the rough shaping with my belt sander, then finished by chucking it in a drill and using sandpaper. There's a steel hex nut precisely fitted inside the laminations, so I just made a mandrel out of a bolt with the same thread as my shifter.

The car is a '95. I would love to find one of the earlier-generation coupes, but those are pretty rare these days. The digital display is actually an old smartphone running a GPS app because the factory speedometer doesn't work (the manual transmission is from an earlier year which had a noncompatible speed sensor). One of the USB ports is connected to the phone to allow cable access without taking apart the dash; the rest are just for power.

I left enough room at the bottom of the console to add three gauges - boost, AFR, and coolant temp - but my turbo plans were interrupted when I got a Chevy V8 for free. The swap is more involved (and expensive), but vastly more powerful, so that's what I'll be doing this summer.
May 04, 2019, 06:19 PM
Here's a shot of the outside.

May 04, 2019, 10:40 PM

Post your hot ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
Here's a shot of the outside.

Thatís one of my favorite body styles.

Hereís my clapped out VDub built 1.8t 6 speed. In the background is another for my soon to be driving 15yo daughter. Same color, same GLi trim, but automatic tranny for her. Just have to fix the tranny to be a road worthy $800 deal.
May 21, 2019, 12:38 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Sweet step-side short-box!! A hotrod that can haul planes, too!

Joel
May 21, 2019, 12:41 PM
Admin Deluxe
That's right!
Jun 16, 2019, 06:26 PM
I think I go fly
Thread OP

Sweet

Cool plane haulers!
Jun 16, 2019, 06:43 PM
I think I go fly