Feb 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee

MikeTheCrash,

If you have a spare PWM output, you could assign that to throttle as well. That'd give you two outputs.

Daniel
That's how I did it, because Y'ing one PWM hadn't worked.

I made up the cables for this (one servo lead from PWM3 plus one signal wire from PWM4 with Y'd power at the ESC end) last night and it doesn't work. Only one ESC will arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64
Why doesnt splitting the one output work Mike ?
...I guess because it's the same output from the chip but switched to two outputs? And because I use cheap ESCs ?
I don't really understand why, it works fine on ailerons

so can anyone point me to a buffer chip/circuit diagram/something suitable?

thanks

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash
That's how I did it, because Y'ing one PWM hadn't worked.

I made up the cables for this (one servo lead from PWM3 plus one signal wire from PWM4 with Y'd power at the ESC end) last night and it doesn't work. Only one ESC will arm.

...I guess because it's the same output from the chip but switched to two outputs? And because I use cheap ESCs ?
I don't really understand why, it works fine on ailerons

so can anyone point me to a buffer chip/circuit diagram/something suitable?

thanks

Mike
I am not sure if I understand correctly the way you wired it so I will say how I would do it.
Run negative and signal from pwm 3 to left ESC, Run negative, signal and positive from pwm 4 to right ESC assuming the right ESC is what you use to power your servos and receiver, if not drop the positive wire on both ESC.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...81&postcount=2

This is a buffer circuit I found for ppm and rssi,

Negative to 4
Positive to 8
PWM from DOSD to 3
1 & 2 linked and go to ESC signals
Negatives to both ESC
Positive connect to only one ESC

I don't know if it will work. I have not tried it but you should not need the buffer anyway, 2 seperate pwm outputs should do it, love to know why it would not.

Mark
Feb 13, 2011, 02:05 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
Thanks Mark, that looks perfect and easy enough for me to do. And I found that chip, it's only 79 pence!

Re. wiring, what I have done must have the same effect as how you have done it but for..

PWM3 connects to 3-wire servo lead to wing
PWM4 connects to 2 x single wires; power lead to IMU, signal to wing

3 wire servo lead and single wire now go to a 4-wire connector

4-wire connector on wing then loops through ferrite 5 times, then splits; power is connected to both ESCs, GND is connected to both escs, each ESC gets is own signal (one from PWM3, one from PWM4).

I have tried using the escs on each leg of the Y, one at a time, two at a time, with power connected to one and to both. The result is that either ESC works on either leg of the Y, but when both are connected only one ESC "beeps" to say it's getting signal. The problem is intermittent but usually ESC won't arm, and has been known to stop working in the air after having armed! ESCs used: hobbywing Pentium

FWIW while looking for the problem I re-made the original Y splitter and went for the dual PWM cabling described above, soldered a new leads into one of the ESCs, bought a new ESC, reprogrammed the ESCs, and in case you are wondering I also remembered to set the PWM o/p in the menu too!

I'll be ordering that chip later, thanks for your help

cheers

Mike
Feb 13, 2011, 02:50 PM
Well, now that you know ...
ARG!

I pulled all the equipment out of my plane to try to reconcile the wiring mess I had, and to see if I could improve the video quality. Had it all laid out on the bench, hooked it up, and powered up to see smoke from the current sensor.

I still don't know what I did wrong. I must have somehow grounded the output of the sensor. Is it worth fixing it? John? I only see a couple of components on the board - I'm hoping it's just the little FET I see.

Thankfully, the DOSD powers up fine with an second battery attached (without the jumper).
Feb 13, 2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee
Hi Stranta,

Before delving further - do you know which version of firmware you are using in the DOSD+.

Am I right that you are saying that things work except when starting up, the DOSD+ goes into failsafe momentarily before working normally?

About the OSD - does the throttle work normally at other times?

Daniel
Hi Daniel,
It is working properly for me now. I had version 16.9 when I experienced the issue. It was strange and I couldn’t get past that behavior. In the end I must have had a wire wrong between the OSD and Receiver because I took everything apart and hooked it all up again and it all worked properly without going into failsafe on startup and the throttle now engages the ESC.
Feb 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Helpful picture I just went looking for, so I'll post it here, incase someone else is needing the same thing:

Feb 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgis21
Hi George,

I am sure, the only one IMu is used: ArudIMU. None of other are used yet.
Daniel has come to conclusion to make own IMU sensor, because non of affordable price can be used and have very nice performance.. not like ArduIMU drifting all the time.
So If you not really needed AHI, just wait a little bit.

Virgis
Hi Daniel,
Are you currently in development of this or is it something far away?
In the meantime, nothing stops me from putting an ArduPilot Mega behind the DOSD+ for flight stabilization right?
Feb 13, 2011, 04:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranta
Hi Daniel,
Are you currently in development of this or is it something far away?
In the meantime, nothing stops me from putting an ArduPilot Mega behind the DOSD+ for flight stabilization right?
Daniel has mentioned an DragonIMU is in the 'que', but don't hold your breath for it...it'll likely be a while (the Dragon Trax is first).

IMHO, unless you have a really unstable plane you really don't need any extra item for flight stabilization. I have an ArduIMU, but haven't even installed it yet...and I've done several waypoint and RTH flights...of course I'm also using a stable platform. I'll ad the ArduIMU one day, but the DOSD does so well on its own that it's really not an issue.
Feb 13, 2011, 04:41 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Woo-Hoo...I did some 5.2 mile flights today with my Dragon Link and DOSD+. No issues what-so-ever. My limiting factor right now is my video link. I think I'm probably pushing the 500mW 900MHz VTx and patch towards the end of its limits. I bet I can still push another mile or so out of it though. Anymore the 1+ mile flights are nothing to me. I remember getting scared at 1/2-3/4 of a mile out with my 2.4GHz Tx. I laugh at that now!!!

Okay, on to a DOSD question.
Part 1: I'm finding, after I launch, that I like to fly several hundred feet in front of me and the select that as my HOLD position. With the waypoint mode to HOLD, my plane comes to and circles the hold spot very well. To set the Hold position I've been using the HOLD POSITION setting on the DOSD main menu.
Part 2: The Sw switch seems to have three functions...A) Display the assist screen, B) Clear master warning, and C) Set the Hold Position (I believe).
Part 3: I don't think I like function C of Part 2. What happened to me today was I had my HOLD position set before I left on my 5 mile flight. I tested it before leaving LOS and it was working fine. I flew out and was on my way back home using the Autopilot<HOLD> when my Master Warning came on for the mAh consumed alarm. The alarm was no issue as I had plenty of V and mA left in the flight pack, so I cleared the Warning by pressing the Sw switch. Oops...mistake. Doing that just reset the HOLD position to a spot several miles out and the plane immediately immediately started to circle the new HOLD spot (remember I was in AP mode with Autopilot<HOLD> active). No issue as I just exited AP mode, went into the Menu, and reset the Waypoint Mode to NEXT. I flipped back into AP mode, got my Autopilot<HOME> display and the plane returned home with no issues.
I don't know how many/if others use the Sw switch to set a hold position. I personally would like to see the Position Hold Set feature removed from the Sw switch and just left as selectable from the main menu.

Daniel, it would be nice if this could be updated in a future firmware released...based on your thoughts as well as input from other users...of course. If it stays as is, I will remember to clear warning by quickly entering and exiting the Menu or just turn off the Master Warning option....though I do like have the Master Warning option on.

Oh yeah, FWIW, I did both my long distance flights today with CM7...I really liked it. I think it just took over from CM3 as my favorite compass mode.
Feb 13, 2011, 04:53 PM
Praying for better weather
How about having the sw act as it does, but have to be held for a certain amount of time for hold to come into effect ?
Feb 13, 2011, 04:58 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Woo-Hoo...I did some 5.2 mile flights today with my Dragon Link and DOSD+. No issues what-so-ever. My limiting factor right now is my video link. I think I'm probably pushing the 500mW 900MHz VTx and patch towards the end of its limits. I bet I can still push another mile or so out of it though. Anymore the 1+ mile flights are nothing to me. I remember getting scared at 1/2-3/4 of a mile out with my 2.4GHz Tx. I laugh at that now!!!

Okay, on to a DOSD question.
Part 1: I'm finding, after I launch, that I like to fly several hundred feet in front of me and the select that as my HOLD position. With the waypoint mode to HOLD, my plane comes to and circles the hold spot very well. To set the Hold position I've been using the HOLD POSITION setting on the DOSD main menu.
Part 2: The Sw switch seems to have three functions...A) Display the assist screen, B) Clear master warning, and C) Set the Hold Position (I believe).
Part 3: I don't think I like function C of Part 2. What happened to me today was I had my HOLD position set before I left on my 5 mile flight. I tested it before leaving LOS and it was working fine. I flew out and was on my way back home using the Autopilot<HOLD> when my Master Warning came on for the mAh consumed alarm. The alarm was no issue as I had plenty of V and mA left in the flight pack, so I cleared the Warning by pressing the Sw switch. Oops...mistake. Doing that just reset the HOLD position to a spot several miles out and the plane immediately immediately started to circle the new HOLD spot (remember I was in AP mode with Autopilot<HOLD> active). No issue as I just exited AP mode, went into the Menu, and reset the Waypoint Mode to NEXT. I flipped back into AP mode, got my Autopilot<HOME> display and the plane returned home with no issues.
I don't know how many/if others use the Sw switch to set a hold position. I personally would like to see the Position Hold Set feature removed from the Sw switch and just left as selectable from the main menu.

Daniel, it would be nice if this could be updated in a future firmware released...based on your thoughts as well as input from other users...of course. If it stays as is, I will remember to clear warning by quickly entering and exiting the Menu or just turn off the Master Warning option....though I do like have the Master Warning option on.

Oh yeah, FWIW, I did both my long distance flights today with CM7...I really liked it. I think it just took over from CM3 as my favorite compass mode.
Yeah, was always going to be a problem having multiple things on one switch, you are just using too many features

I would like to be able to separate hold onto another channel and if you have not got a spare channel then you can use the menu.

With you on cm7, best compass mode to let you know where you are in my opinion.

Mark
Feb 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64
How about having the sw act as it does, but have to be held for a certain amount of time for hold to come into effect ?
Hey, that's not a bad idea at all...for my Sw setup at least. I have Sw assigned to a momentary switch so it's only active when I hold the button in. I think Virgis uses his on a two way switch so it stays on while he's using the assist screen though. Hmmmm....there's an issue there. The Assist Screen has to be held long enough to look at the readings vs just momentarily to turn off the Warning. Drat. I think I just shot down that idea.
Feb 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Videopilot
Quote:
Exact same here. i flew 1 mile for the 1st time only weeks ago, now that the TLRS and DOSD RTH work so well I flew out to 2 miles without any hesitation. Now I just fly out a couple miles, and then let the RTH go to work so I can look around with pan and tilt on the way home. It is fun. I'm glad to see you do 5 mi, that means I should keep going
Feb 13, 2011, 05:08 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman
Yeah, was always going to be a problem having multiple things on one switch, you are just using too many features

I would like to be able to separate hold onto another channel and if you have not got a spare channel then you can use the menu.

With you on cm7, best compass mode to let you know where you are in my opinion.

Mark
I'm using a 9 channel radio and have all 9 channels in use or planned for use:
Throttle
Aileron
Rudder
Elevator
Pan
Tilt
Sw
Control (OSD menu/AP modes)
Flap (not in use yet, but plan on adding).
I'm maxed out.

Hey, I got it. Let's have the Assist Screen on a separate switch for those who want to use it (Virgis ). Then the Sw can be a short activation to clear Warnings or a longer (>2 seconds) to set the Hold Position.
Feb 13, 2011, 05:09 PM
Praying for better weather
Quote:
Hey, that's not a bad idea at all...for my Sw setup at least. I have Sw assigned to a momentary switch so it's only active when I hold the button in. I think Virgis uses his on a two way switch so it stays on while he's using the assist screen though. Hmmmm....there's an issue there. The Assist Screen has to be held long enough to look at the readings vs just momentarily to turn off the Warning. Drat. I think I just shot down that idea.
Thats a good point, might not be so practical, where as a seperate channel might bee much more practical

Quick Reply