Thread Tools
Jan 04, 2011, 09:50 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
mark hitchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321
Well I've had a conversion! I had recently been thinking:

DRAGONLINK!

DRAGONLINK!

DRAGONLINK!

And then last night I had a dream where I was flying my skywalker over a river and kept going but then video just stopped and I crashed and all of my gear was destroyed.

I then realized theres no point in getting a system capable of going 25 miles if I have no way back if I lose video. So time for the DRAGON OSD!!!!

I've got four questions, and then I will order tomorrow:


1) Do I have to wait about 10 weeks for the DOSD just like the DL? Or ships right away?

2) Was this fairly easy to setup (Wiring, and then programming RTH)

3) Can I change all of my settings just at the field? That's another reason I'm selling my Remzibi OSD is because I don't like having to take the OSD out of my plane everytime in order to update it.

4) Have you all been satisfied? Have any of you bought the DOSD and been disappointed?


Thanks so much, and I'm really looking forward to getting the DOSD!

Cheers!

-Tyler
1) You can get them from the shops in the first page of this thread so there should be no waiting.

2) You will need a PPM capable receiver or a PPM encoder.

3) The only setting I know of that you can't change at the field is your call sign for your ham radio license, that leaves about 50 other menu options you have total control over.

4) Happy as.

Mark
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2011, 09:50 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
twinturbostang's Avatar
Question: Does updating the DragonOSD firmware reset all of the stored GPS information? I just updated to the latest firmware version and it again took 30 minutes to lock Home position. I'm hoping this is the case. Otherwise, something else is going on that's causing a long sat acquire.
Jan 04, 2011, 10:09 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321
...I then realized theres no point in getting a system capable of going 25 miles if I have no way back if I lose video. So time for the DRAGON OSD!!!!
I think that's what several recommended when you posted your poll on which to get first. The RTH is nice to have...no matter how close/far you fly.

Quote:
1) Do I have to wait about 10 weeks for the DOSD just like the DL? Or ships right away?
Should ship right away. Don't forget the GPS and USB/TTL download cable if you're not going to keep the Remzibi ones.

Quote:
2) Was this fairly easy to setup (Wiring, and then programming RTH)
Easy. I think the worse part is getting the input channels assigned at first so you can use the elevator and aileron sticks to navigate the menu. The free PCC program from Cralis is indispensable IMHO. You can do the initial setup and channel assignments via the PC. As Mark mentioned, if your current Rx doesn't have a place to tap a PPM signal from you'll need a PPM Encoder from DIYDrones or Sparkfun; they're not expensive.

Quote:
3) Can I change all of my settings just at the field? That's another reason I'm selling my Remzibi OSD is because I don't like having to take the OSD out of my plane everytime in order to update it.
The only thing you might like to do, but can't is programming in Waypoints. I haven't try a waypoint flight yet, but I believe the only way to input the waypoints is via the free DOSD+ Mission Editor program.

Quote:
4) Have you all been satisfied? Have any of you bought the DOSD and been disappointed?
VERY SATISFIED. It's not perfect though. All your settings in the DOSD are in metric, you can set the display to show metric or imperial, BUT the settings are only in metric either way. Would be nice to select everything in either metric or imperial, but that's not a option at this point. Without a doubt though, the support from Daniel is nothing short of AMAZING!!!!
Jan 04, 2011, 10:10 PM
KB3VOJ
cherokee180c's Avatar
Turbo, Long sat aquire has nothing to do with the firmware. Here is the first things to test. Unplug camera for 4-5 minutes and then plug back in to see if it acquires. Then unplug VTx and retry to isolate. Do you have a toroid on the GPS wire right near the GPS? If not, that is the first thing to do. I would not put any GPS on any plane without a toroid. The Locosys GPS's are very sensitive to external interference. I had mine go from no lock with only 2 sat acquisition in over an hour. To 9 satellites locked in 10 seconds just by moving the location of the GPS. The culprit was interference from the Dragon Link Transmitter when the wire was straight on the tail. Cameras are normally the culprit, depending on which one you have. Daniel has a big post on his website about the RF signature off of different cameras.
Jan 04, 2011, 10:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster
Thanks guys - I'll take any links I can get. I downloaded a bunch of drivers, but none of them recognized the hardware.
I used the one here: http://sabrent.com/v2/drivers/
Find the one that says: USB-AVCPT USB 2.0 Video & Audio DVD Maker and download either the Win7 32 or 64 bit...whichever fits your system.
Jan 04, 2011, 10:19 PM
KB3VOJ
cherokee180c's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
I used the one here: http://sabrent.com/v2/drivers/
Find the one that says: USB-AVCPT USB 2.0 Video & Audio DVD Maker and download either the Win7 32 or 64 bit...whichever fits your system.
Yep, that's it. Thanks Van as I didn't know where I got it from.

Turbo,

Here is the link to my last issue with GPS reception when I just installed the Dragon Link a few days ago. Trust me, these things are sensitive. They will go from no linking at all, to 10 second lock, just by finding and eliminating the source of interference. A toroid is definitely the first step though.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7255
Jan 04, 2011, 10:26 PM
KB3VOJ
cherokee180c's Avatar
Can anyone with a lot of experience with the video systems comment on what may be causing the general noise in my last video? Use the orignally posted Youtube video, as that is the quality that is closer to the original file. The Vimeo upload cleaned out most of the noise. The still picture from the first frame looks the closest to the actual source video on the Vimeo upload. I am just wondering what I can do to get rid of the noise. It does not look to be general interference, or ESC related. it is just a very noisy overall picture. I see some guys have crystal clear video signals.
Jan 04, 2011, 10:35 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
mark hitchman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Can anyone with a lot of experience with the video systems comment on what may be causing the general noise in my last video? Use the orignally posted Youtube video, as that is the quality that is closer to the original file. The Vimeo upload cleaned out most of the noise. The still picture from the first frame looks the closest to the actual source video on the Vimeo upload. I am just wondering what I can do to get rid of the noise. It does not look to be general interference, or ESC related. it is just a very noisy overall picture. I see some guys have crystal clear video signals.
I am definitely not a video guru, took me a lot of time to get good video, I just thought the noise looked like compression artifacts but you are obviously seeing this noise live while flying so I am of absolutely no use to you, I would post it in it's own thread to see if you can get some expertise involved.

Mark
Jan 04, 2011, 10:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Can anyone with a lot of experience with the video systems comment on what may be causing the general noise in my last video? Use the orignally posted Youtube video, as that is the quality that is closer to the original file. The Vimeo upload cleaned out most of the noise. The still picture from the first frame looks the closest to the actual source video on the Vimeo upload. I am just wondering what I can do to get rid of the noise. It does not look to be general interference, or ESC related. it is just a very noisy overall picture. I see some guys have crystal clear video signals.
It could be the camera??? I was using a cheaper camera originally and this past weekend I flew with my new SN555 camera (with torroid) and the picture was much better. I'm using a 900Mhz 500mW setup...only flew out to 3/4 mile so far though.
Jan 04, 2011, 10:46 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
twinturbostang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee180c
Turbo, Long sat aquire has nothing to do with the firmware. Here is the first things to test. Unplug camera for 4-5 minutes and then plug back in to see if it acquires. Then unplug VTx and retry to isolate. Do you have a toroid on the GPS wire right near the GPS? If not, that is the first thing to do. I would not put any GPS on any plane without a toroid. The Locosys GPS's are very sensitive to external interference. I had mine go from no lock with only 2 sat acquisition in over an hour. To 9 satellites locked in 10 seconds just by moving the location of the GPS. The culprit was interference from the Dragon Link Transmitter when the wire was straight on the tail. Cameras are normally the culprit, depending on which one you have. Daniel has a big post on his website about the RF signature off of different cameras.
Tonight's 30 minute acquire was with the video Tx and camera unplugged. And yes I have a toroid on the GPS wires right in front of the sensor. But with no noisy Tx or camera turned on I was quite surprised to see it take so long. A few days ago (well, last week sometime) I finally got a lock on satellites with the video plugged in by installing the toroid. It never worked before that with the video. Subsequent locks usually took seconds, and no more than a minute. Yet today took 30 minutes even with the video stuff unplugged. This was immediately after I updated the Dragon firmware, which is why I asked the question. Only thing I could think of that changed.
Jan 04, 2011, 10:52 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
The DOSD only receives the GPS data...it doesn't control how the GPS acquires the data. I think the change after firmware upgrade is just coincidence. It could be just bad satellite coverage, weather, clouds, humidity, thousands of dead birds falling out of the sky...
Jan 04, 2011, 10:59 PM
Registered User
spitfire_Doug's Avatar
Some days I get lock within 30sec. Other days it takes as long as 15min and even then I only have 4 sats so it is very inacurate. Atmospheric conditions altering GPS reception.

I have also found that altering the direction the plane/GPS is pointing, can sometimes seem to help aswell. Maybe it is something to do with polarization.

Regards

Doug
Jan 04, 2011, 11:06 PM
KB3VOJ
cherokee180c's Avatar
Turbo,

I had the same thing happen and it had nothing to do with the firmware. Are you using the Dragon Link? Nobody had seen my issue with it before, but I definitely confirmed through testing that the long GPS wire was acting like an antenna and picking up unwanted RF interference. I think sometimes we are getting enough background interference where everything works, but if then you get a cloudy day, where the satelites are low in the sky, poof, the signal is no longer strong enough to overcome the background interference. I could not believe once I moved my GPS and the wire was more curved and vertical how all of a sudden I got 9 satelites literally in 10 seconds and just a few hours earlier I could not get more than two satelites an no lock in hours. All I can tell you is assume 100% it is interference from something and then begin to troubleshoot to isolate and you will most likely find it. Also I have found that with the thick servo wire I am using and the small toroids, I can only get 4 wraps around the toroid, which is barely enough I think. Shortening the GPS wire leads may also help, but not sure.

Van,

I am thinking it is the camera as well. It does not do well in low light as it looks a bit like the grainy video you get when a camera struggles near night time. If anything both the Youtube and Vimeo uploads look much better than the source video although youtube is close. How do you like the SN555 camera? Do you have any video with it yet?
Last edited by cherokee180c; Jan 04, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Jan 04, 2011, 11:17 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
I don't have any video I've posted yet...only one flight so far with the camera. I'll do up a video and post...probably not until this weekend though.
Jan 04, 2011, 11:24 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Bigster's Avatar
Thanks VERY much for the links to the drivers guys. After my next trip to driver hell, I'll let you know how it went.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dragon OSD Level Flight FPV Talk 22 Dec 31, 2013 09:08 PM
For Sale New Intelligent Flight Dragon OSD bfischer Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 7 Jul 19, 2010 11:56 AM
Discussion FS Ready to fly Intelligent Flight Dragon OSD bfischer FPV Talk 0 Mar 03, 2010 06:57 AM
Discussion RV OSD or Dragon OSD djdaveq FPV Talk 1 Feb 06, 2009 01:18 AM
Discussion RV OSD and Dragon OSD - so near to being Really good! magnetman FPV Talk 8 Nov 11, 2008 06:13 AM