Mar 19, 2010, 12:07 PM
How does RTH works ? With or without sensors ?

I ask this because I am interested too to buy 1 piece. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2010, 12:19 PM
Thread OP
it works off the co-ordiance given by the GPS. But I can't sell them until I am ready, please keep watch to post number one under "status"

John
Mar 19, 2010, 12:52 PM
Does it control throttle, or elevator only ?
If using a FMA copilot for stabilisation, what is the recommended order for elevator:
Rx-FMA-OSD-servo, or
Rx-OSD-FMA-servo ?
Mar 19, 2010, 01:37 PM
Long Range FPV !!!
Yes, the Dragon OSD can return to home without video I use it in conjunction with a FMA copilot, but on a stable plane, the autopilot has so many configuration options, it could very eaily control a stable plane with no copilot. Return to home is almost useless if you cant use it without video as far as I am concerned.

But lets do a comparison where a copilot or stabilaztion is needed... The Range video OSD is 335 dollars, and 70 dollars extra for the horizon sensors, for a total of 405.00 dollars

The Dragon OSD is 99 dollars, and 70 dollars for the FMA copilot, for a total of 169 dollars That is much less than HALF the price of the Range Video OSD. So price wise, its really great, even if you need the copilot.

So I can put the Two Dragon OSD's with full stabilization in two FPV airplanes for less than I can put the Range video with stabilization in one, or save over half my money Anyway you look at it, the Dragon makes a full featured full performance OSD available at less than HALF the cost of before !

Mike
Mar 19, 2010, 01:45 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
I will be going with the Dragon OSD as well. I was saving my money to get the Range Video but, after reading over the previous thread and this one, I have decided to go with the Dragon instead. It is packed with features too!
Mar 19, 2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
Yes, the Dragon OSD can return to home without video I use it in conjunction with a FMA copilot, but on a stable plane, the autopilot has so many configuration options, it could very eaily control a stable plane with no copilot. Return to home is almost useless if you cant use it without video as far as I am concerned.

But lets do a comparison where a copilot or stabilaztion is needed... The Range video OSD is 335 dollars, and 70 dollars extra for the horizon sensors, for a total of 405.00 dollars

The Dragon OSD is 99 dollars, and 70 dollars for the FMA copilot, for a total of 169 dollars That is much less than HALF the price of the Range Video OSD. So price wise, its really great, even if you need the copilot.

So I can put the Two Dragon OSD's with full stabilization in two FPV airplanes for less than I can put the Range video with stabilization in one, or save over half my money Anyway you look at it, the Dragon makes a full featured full performance OSD available at less than HALF the cost of before !

Mike
Hi jet, I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. what you get for 99USD is this:

And this is what you get for 400USD:

I know you dont know much about this, but all those tiny thingies are there for one reason, to increase the reliability of the OSD on hard RF noise enviroments like our FPV planes. It blocks RF coming in and out of the OSD, there is also little extra black boxes there, this is to raise the 3V servo outputs to 5V so the servo signals are more resistant to RFI.
You dont have to add any external filtering or power supplys to power your Tx or Cam. RVOSD does it for you providing clean 5 and/or 12V. simply plug the provided camera and Tx cables, select the appropriate voltage jumpers and you are ready to go.
The GPS is included on RVOSD price. As well as an internal backup voltage for the GPS to do hot and warm start up to 24hrs from first lock.
The current sensor is included.
All the cabling you need is included.
The attitude inputs from sensors are feed direct to the autopilot calculations thus it is more easy to setup.
There is an infrared remote control to modify parameters that cant be modified with the transmitter because it can make the plane to crash. it also allow the change of menu options when the OSD is inside the fuse and micro switch are not accessible.
The interface with the PC is included for programming.
The artificial Horizon is already present and not a "to be available" feature.
Several autopilot modes are also available: Return home, level flight, heading hold, position hold, fly by wire and waypoint sequencer.

I agree Daniel Wee is a very capable engineer, all this is not about him or DragonOSD+, I also think that it is a very good option. But comparing it with RVOSD is not a wise thing to do... at least no yet.
Last edited by Elcheapo; Mar 19, 2010 at 02:45 PM.
Mar 19, 2010, 03:14 PM
plus vite plus loins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo
Hi jet, I think you are comparing apples to oranges here. what you get for 99USD is this:

And this is what you get for 400USD:

RVOSD is a lemon, I know, I have one and the only utility it has is a counterweight to a tool
Mar 19, 2010, 04:04 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funjet2008
RVOSD is a lemon, I know, I have one and the only utility it has is a counterweight to a tool
Now that is Funny
Mar 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
Daniel, John, is close to midnight here, and the only thing I want to know is: may I go sleep without reading in the morning that the 50 units are gone ?
Mar 19, 2010, 04:22 PM
Long Range FPV !!!
El Cheapo,

I can certainly understand that you are upset by the news that there is a full featured OSD being sold at less than half the price of the Range Video OSD, but that is the nature of FPV, equipment gets better and cheaper over time. You could not have possibliy expected to hold the market forever at 405.00 dollars for a full featured OSD. I know this will lower your sales and your income, and I do not take pleasure in that, but that is just the nature of electronics and FPV, things get better and cheaper. The entire FPV community benefits....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo

I know you dont know much about this, but all those tiny thingies are there for one reason, to increase the reliability of the OSD on hard RF noise enviroments like our FPV planes.
You are very wrong in this statement, I know more and have way more experience than most people with FPV equipment, RF Noise, and issues encountered setting up differnt types of planes. But I will address some of your concerns.

First - The infared Remote: This is just an extra peice of equipment needed to program the menu settings in your OSD, carry around and possibly forget at home, and adds of lot of unnecessary expense to the OSD. You also need to be very close to the plane and have direct sight to the sensor to program your OSD. I much perfer the simplicity of selecting menu options with the RC transmitter itself. Up - Down stick for menu item, left - right to change the value, no extra equipment needed, and I can do it from anywhere, near or far, and so simple a caveman could do it Your statement that Daniels menu system is more likely to cause a crash is just totally false. Daniel menu system is simple, elegant, less expensive, does not require extra equipment, and works perfectly anywhere anytime.

GPS - Daniels Dragon OSD can be used with the latest and best GPS modules, it accepts many different models. There is a HUGE performance difference between GPS modules, and they are getting better all the time. I perfer to choose my own GPS, which I did, the very sensitive Locosys 20031 with a bakcup battery for super fast starts, 66 channel capability, and 10 HZ, ( 10 Times a second updates ), and it only cost me 59 dollars from DPCAV . What are the specs on the GPS on the Range Video OSD ??? I would be willing to bet they are not as good as what I have for the Dragon OSD

RF Interference. I have never experienced RF interference in any OSD, and I have run more RF power on my plane than anyone else in this forum ( 5000 mW ). I perfer not to have the extra weight, size, of RF block that I have never needed. I am sure there are a couple rare cases where it has happened, but that is easily solved by good airplane layout or even simple cheap ferrite chokes. In may FPV planes I have built, or helped friends build, I have never seen OSD problems due to RF, so this is a non issue as far as I am concerned. An extra 200 bucks, added size, and weight for a problem I have never seen is just not a good deal as far as I am concerned. As far as the included cables, that nice for some people, but I use higher quality connectors and cables and get them for way WAY less than 200 bucks.

So cost wise, everything has dramatically changed with the Dragon OSD, everyone can now have a full featured OSD with autopilot and Return To Home for less the half the price of before

Mike
Last edited by JettPilot; Mar 19, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Mar 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
plus vite plus loins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-tBrzj904
Mar 19, 2010, 04:38 PM
Does it means imminent launch ?!
Mar 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot
El Cheapo,

I can certainly understand that you are upset by the news that there is a full featured OSD being sold at less than half the price of the Range Video OSD, but that is the nature of FPV, equipment gets better and cheaper over time. You could not have possibliy expected to hold the market forever at 405.00 dollars for a full featured OSD. I know this will lower your sales and your income, and I do not take pleasure in that, but that is just the nature of electronics and FPV, things get better and cheaper. The entire FPV community benefits....

You are very wrong in this statement, I know more and have way more experience than most people with FPV equipment, RF Noise, and issues encountered setting up differnt types of planes. But I will address some of your concerns.

First - The infared Remote: This is just an extra peice of equipment needed to program the menu settings in your OSD, carry around and possibly forget at home, and adds of lot of unnecessary expense to the OSD. You also need to be very close to the plane and have direct sight to the sensor to program your OSD. I much perfer the simplicity of selecting menu options with the RC transmitter itself. Up - Down stick for menu item, left - right to change the value, no extra equipment needed, and I can do it from anywhere, near or far, and so simple a caveman could do it Your statement that Daniels menu system is more likely to cause a crash is just totally false. Daniel menu system is simple, elegant, less expensive, does not require extra equipment, and works perfectly anywhere anytime.

GPS - Daniels Dragon OSD can be used with the latest and best GPS modules, it accepts many different models. There is a HUGE performance difference between GPS modules, and they are getting better all the time. I perfer to choose my own GPS, which I did, the very sensitive Locosys 20031 with a bakcup battery for super fast starts, 66 channel capability, and 10 HZ, ( 10 Times a second updates ), and it only cost me 59 dollars from DPCAV . What are the specs on the GPS on the Range Video OSD ??? I would be willing to bet they are not as good as what I have for the Dragon OSD

RF Interference. I have never experienced RF interference in any OSD, and I have run more RF power on my plane than anyone else in this forum ( 5000 mW ). I perfer not to have the extra weight, size, of RF block that I have never needed. I am sure there are a couple rare cases where it has happened, but that is easily solved by good airplane layout or even simple cheap ferrite chokes. In may FPV planes I have built, or helped friends build, I have never seen OSD problems due to RF, so this is a non issue as far as I am concerned. An extra 200 bucks, added size, and weight for a problem I have never seen is just not a good deal as far as I am concerned. As far as the included cables, that nice for some people, but I use higher quality connectors and cables and get them for way WAY less than 200 bucks.

So cost wise, everything has dramatically changed with the Dragon OSD, everyone can now have a full featured OSD with autopilot and Return To Home for less the half the price of before

Mike
Wow Jett, I never though you were going that far on this, but I understand business is business. I just saw some unfair talking that you started about RVOSD and I am replying to that.

...Going technical again, there is some options that you should never be able to change in the air, like disabling the RC link detection for users that just want OSD and no autopilot, changing RSSI max and minimums, changing the thermopiles (or IMU settings) with autopilot mode enabled. this is not a problem yet, but someday you will be there.

Do you know the LS20031 does not have SAW filter on the input? This is something important for LNA interference rejection. Or in other words, the LS20031 is less inmune to off band interference. You can find out what is our GPS, is the same used by remzibiOSD, simpleOSD and ETOSDpro.

It is not the same having the FPV gear on your big planes with everything spaced out that in some of the planes more used for FPV. Unfortunatly the OSDs are electronic devices that work with digital pulses, this digital pulses are nothing but heavy distorted oscilations with a lot of harmonics, going all over a wide frequency spectrum. The microprocessors needs clock sources. The processor used on DOSD is the same family of the two processors used on RVOSD Take a look at the metallic box on the back of your OSD, thats a quartz oscillator, another source for RF, plus the PLLs and multiplicators inside the MCU.
Not everything is about video transmitter interference, If you dont trust me, make this simple test. Place your GPS near a 72Mhz receiver, or your Dragon link. I know you will "find" that nothing happens, but the laws of phisics cant be bent.

I am really sorry to interfere here, and this is my last post about this. Advertizing is good, however spreading lies is not the way to go.
Last edited by Elcheapo; Mar 19, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Mar 19, 2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA
Does it means imminent launch ?!
no sleep for u, lol
Mar 19, 2010, 06:09 PM
Long Range FPV !!!
ElCheapo,

I dont think I misrepresented your OSD in any way, spreading things that are untrue is something I would never do. It never pays to deceive people here on the forum, because someoen will always catch you There are too many talented people that will test everything I post ! As far as your OSD, when it came out and it was the best value on the market, I recommended the RV OSD to many people ! I have sold more of your Range Video OSD's for you than you know I recommended your OSD over many other types of OSD's because it was the right thing to do. I do comparisons on all types of equipment here in the forum, I am not trying to single you or your OSD out. The only reason I even mentioned your OSD is because it is the only OSD that is even worthy of comparison to the Dragon Link. You did a really nice job on your OSD, and I wish I had your talent, if I did I would have made my own OSD / autopilot a long time ago...

That being said, I am very good at flying, have a huge amount of experience in FPV, and testing what works well for FPV and what does not. If you look at my pictures on page 2 of this thread, you will see that the Dragon OSD went into a small electric flying wing, everything is crammed tight there and close together. The Dragon OSD being very tiny and light is PERFECT for the small electric FPV planes that most people fly Being inexpensive is just a really big bonus.

Mike

Quick Reply