Jan 04, 2012, 10:14 AM
pyrojets,

If you want to use only rudder for steering, just select the appropriate rudder mode. If you don't want DOSD+ to control the ailerons, just connect the servos direct to your receiver, by passing the DOSD+. Alternative, if your plane has no ailerons, just ignore the ailerons output (don't even bother setting the PWM out).

If you are seeing "AF Disabled" such as in the preceding video, it means that the user has the DOSD+ in Autopilot mode (usually RTH mode) but because the GPS home position has not been set, the autopilot is actually disabled, even though the switch position is in the Autopilot position.

Daniel
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2012, 10:18 AM

Attitude limit question

The manual says

Attitude limit: (default 30.000) Attitude limit is the angle or roll and pitch beyond which the IMU stabilizer (if IMU is present) will override autopilot input. So for example the autopilot commands a turn that results in a 50-degree bank, but attitude limit is set to 30-degrees. The IMU stabilizer will limit the bank to 50-degrees. Same applies for pitch.

Is this correct? Wont the IMU stabilizer limit bank to the attidude limit? in this case, 30 degrees not 50 degrees?
Jan 04, 2012, 10:22 AM

Waypoint mode question

If your waypoint is set to zero (home) and you engage the autopilot, what is the difference between waypoint modes CIRCLE, VISIT and NEXT.

THanks
Jan 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
The default is ailerons only when in AP mode. You can mix in rudder via the DOSD menu. You have three Rudder Mode options, 0=No rudder mix; 1=Rudder mix with aileron, 2=Rudder mix with aileron in the opposite direction (same as #1 but with opposite rudder direction...kinda like servo reversing).
Thank you for the reply. I am now left with setting the gains of the control surfaces. I've heard people saying that using rudder is safer as it does not cause to roll that often. Just wondering, when you use FY20A with AP, do you turn on full stabilization mode or 3D mode?
Jan 04, 2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee
pyrojets,

If you want to use only rudder for steering, just select the appropriate rudder mode. If you don't want DOSD+ to control the ailerons, just connect the servos direct to your receiver, by passing the DOSD+. Alternative, if your plane has no ailerons, just ignore the ailerons output (don't even bother setting the PWM out).

If you are seeing "AF Disabled" such as in the preceding video, it means that the user has the DOSD+ in Autopilot mode (usually RTH mode) but because the GPS home position has not been set, the autopilot is actually disabled, even though the switch position is in the Autopilot position.

Daniel
Thank you for the reply. My appropriate rudder mode, you mean change rudder channel to 2 using JR)? Do you recommend using the aileron or rudder to control the turning of the plane?
Jan 04, 2012, 12:41 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu flyer
The manual says

Attitude limit: (default 30.000) Attitude limit is the angle or roll and pitch beyond which the IMU stabilizer (if IMU is present) will override autopilot input. So for example the autopilot commands a turn that results in a 50-degree bank, but attitude limit is set to 30-degrees. The IMU stabilizer will limit the bank to 50-degrees. Same applies for pitch.

Is this correct? Wont the IMU stabilizer limit bank to the attidude limit? in this case, 30 degrees not 50 degrees?
If you're using an IMU that is interfacing with the DOSD and have set your max bank angle to 30 degrees the DOSD would be restricted to that 30 degree bank angle, not the 50 degree angle it might want to do. If no IMU is attached then the DOSD will just bank it however much it wants.
Jan 04, 2012, 12:44 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu flyer
If your waypoint is set to zero (home) and you engage the autopilot, what is the difference between waypoint modes CIRCLE, VISIT and NEXT.

THanks
Circle will circle the waypoint
Visit will go to the waypoint then come back home
Next will go to the next waypoint
In Waypoint 0 the plane will always come back home as waypoint zero is the initial GPS satellite lock position.

The difference you didn't mention was Hold. Hold will circle the hold position (if set via the DOSD menu or SW switch). You have to change the waypoint mode to something other than hold to RTH.
Jan 04, 2012, 12:51 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrojets
Thank you for the reply. I am now left with setting the gains of the control surfaces. I've heard people saying that using rudder is safer as it does not cause to roll that often. Just wondering, when you use FY20A with AP, do you turn on full stabilization mode or 3D mode?
I think you'd want full stabilization. You might have to experiment with it and see which you prefer. WARNING NOTE!!!! The DOSD uses Aileron and Elevator stick movement to navigate the menus. If you don't have an assigned PPM aileron channel then you can't navigate the menus. If you assign an PPM aileron channel, but direct connect your ailerons to the FY20, when you go into the DOSD menu and navigate your aileron stick movements WILL BE acted upon by the Rx/FY20 and your plane with bank left/right as you go through the menus...could be a bad thing. In this case use a 3-way switch as your menu navigation and call it 'ailerons' on your PPM assignments. With your aileron servos connected to the FY-20 it will follow actual stick movements but you'd be using elevator and 3-way switch to navigate menus so the plane won't be banking around inadvertantly.

For simplicity I'd just run the ailerons and elevator through the DOSD and forget the FY-20. The GPS stabilization does a great job by itself. If you really wan to use an FY stabilizer I'd recommend the FY-30. With a ArduIno Pro Minin ($20) board and some firmware updates for the Arduino and FY-30 you can have a good working IMU stabilization unit with good AHI accuracy. Virgis and Webe workding this out and looks to be a good working setup.
Jan 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrojets
I made several flights with FY20 and DOSD. You should use full stab mode when in AP mode to level the plane after turned by DOSD. 3D is also very fantastic but I thing it should be open only manuel flight to get real flight pleasure.
Jan 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankogen
10:44 inn for jump viewer.2012 fireworks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U18_g...el_video_title
Tankogen... You star
! So I wasn't the only nutter flying at midnight?!! Although I guess you were 8 hours after me, what with the time zones

Really loved the vid, watched it all (unusual for me) that cam angle you use confused the hell outta me for a while till I got my bearings.

So jealous of your conditions! We had solid cloud base at 296m (900 footish?), it was starting to drizzle, and the windspeed varied between approx 10mph on take off up to 40mph just under the clouds (I clocked 158kph downwind, she will only do 70ish without wind).

Loved the fact you were motoring around at 25mph on 3amps! I was pulling 25 to 30 amps most of the flight, just to stay up in the wind , its the first time I have flown when I REALLY needed windshield wipers

My wing is heavy and strong, its been hit full on by flak (I love flyin thru fireworks!) several times... So I thought at least I had that one on you as yours looks delicate in comparision... Untill you went for it! Big credit to you for getting in there chap

My vid is a couple of pages back, if you missed it (no one said anything, perhaps I should have posted what it was rather than just a smiley!)

Maybe you wern't bothered by the lack of GPS lock, maybe you ran out of time (I was at cloud base with 3 minutes spare before 2012 first second ticked) but my top tip for anyone on a time critical mission is to power up the plane as soon as you get to take off, enabling a 'hot start' on GPS, as long as you have a battery on it). Doesn't matter if you then power down, she will lock in seconds for when you have to go!

One question... Do you have a flight cam switcher/ to cams?

Thanks for sharing
Paul
Jan 04, 2012, 04:41 PM
I just hooked up my DOSD and my DUHF. Seems like my DOSD reacts like its a mode 1 stick type. When i move my throttle and rudder stick i can move my two servos. How do i change this?
Jan 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz
I just hooked up my DOSD and my DUHF. Seems like my DOSD reacts like its a mode 1 stick type. When i move my throttle and rudder stick i can move my two servos. How do i change this?
Sounds like you need to go into the DOSD menu and set assign your PPM input channels to match your Tx. Also check the PWM output assignments.
Jan 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hello ,

Thanks a lot vantasstic ....

I'm a future owner of dosd , i'm reading this yhread with attention .

But 1000 pages , it's so long .

Thanks for all your support on this thread.

Regards
Jan 04, 2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Sounds like you need to go into the DOSD menu and set assign your PPM input channels to match your Tx. Also check the PWM output assignments.
Do i assign that here? Cant seem to find the PPM input channel. I have a Dragonlink UHF so i tought it pretty much worked out of the box.

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/ima...94814-orig.jpg
Jan 04, 2012, 06:09 PM
FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkilzz
Do i assign that here? Cant seem to find the PPM input channel. I have a Dragonlink UHF so i tought it pretty much worked out of the box.

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/ima...94814-orig.jpg
Here you tell to DOSD+ what is what (inputs, as they come out from rx) and then you have to go to outputs and tell DOSD+ in which pin you have connected aile, rudder, throttle..

Virgis

P.S. zkilzz: Buying Xenons from Ebay for FPV?!

Quick Reply