May 28, 2003, 11:57 AM
Thread OP

Slow Stick...do they really exist?

Hi all,

I've been reading the various sources on the net such as this board (what an incredible and helpful resource!) and really want to try RC electrics. After reading the various opinions I've decided that a GWS Slow Stick would be a good choice for me as a first plane. I have no other RC flyers here that I know of so I'll be on my own. My problem is...I can't find a Slow Stick to buy. Most online sources (no LHS) say they are out of stock. I finally found a company that listed them as in stock (allerc) but they just emailed me that they too are out of stock and it will be weeks before they get more.

Does anyone know of a source for these elusive planes?

Further, I plane on buying the Hitec Flash 5 (HTR971R) from Hobby Lobby as my radio. A little expensive but I'd rather spend a tad more and have something I can grow with. If I could get some advice on what else I will need to get a slow stick up and flying (specifics) I'd really appreciate it. I know I'll need a charger but I'm not sure which one to go with...again, something I can grow with would be best.

I have a lot of other questions but I'll save them for subsequent posts. Thanks for any information you can provide. I reqally enjoy reading this forum and have learned quite a bit from it already.

daycat
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2003, 12:28 PM
Daycat,

Welcome to ezone!!!!! I bought my SS from my LHS yesterday. The reason I was lucky in getting one is that it has a small "crack" on the foam wing (it is a return) and will be getting a replacement wing at no charge. I can fix the small crack with Probond and packing tape.

I am almost done assemblying it. Good choice on the transmitter.

You will also need the following (my preferences):

- Electronic Speed Control. GWS ICS-100 or ICS-300
- 7 cell AAA NimH 720 maH battery
- GWS MC2002 battery charger
- Spare 11 x 8 props

Enjoy. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate in asking.
May 28, 2003, 12:35 PM
Daycat,

Here's a SS assembly thread.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=slow+stick

There are more. Just do a search.
May 28, 2003, 12:55 PM
The slow stick is not a newer plane, I think its been around for quite some time but Im not sure, for some reason there seems to be quite a resurgeance in its popularity. That being said, I drove about an hour to a small hobby shop that claimed to have the GWS A-10 and P-51 in stock when the A-10 was just coming out about a month ago and to my surprise there were two SS there as well as one demo modle built! Pick up your phone book and look around, sometimes you think no one in your area has what you want only to find some small shop somewhere that is not online has stock on the shelf!
The GWS $99 or so starter packs that include flight packs, two pico naro servos, RX, (no crystal) and an ESC are a good deal but come with NiCad flight packs. Spend your $ on a good computer radio. You can save some $ with a cheap $30 charger but its good to have one that can handel both NiCad and NiMh and goes from like 4 to 8 cells for park flyers. I recomend holding off on a top end charger untill your ready for top end cell packs since that market is in a state of trasisition with Lipo cells becoming more popular. By the time your ready for Lipoly or bigger cell packs (6 months to a year?)more multi charges that can handel lithium packs should be available and a bit cheaper.
May 28, 2003, 01:03 PM
Lurker

SlowStik

Check here...they had several the other day. Best of Luck.

http://rcguy100.tripod.com/
May 28, 2003, 02:59 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
KonstantKrash,

Thanks for the link to RCguy's page. I ordered a SS... hope he still has some. There are some GREAT deals on his site.

Buzz
May 28, 2003, 03:06 PM
I have many in stock.

Best Regards,

Paul

www.canadianmodelsupply.com
May 28, 2003, 04:01 PM
Look mom, I can...crash.
The LHS down the street, has about 10 on the shelf, and 2 hanging up for ****s and giggles, I guess. I'm pretty sure, they dont have a web site, but, they do mail order. If all else fails, give them a call.

Its called Coyote Hobby, in Oregon City. There so new, there not in the phone book yet so I dont kow the address, but the Phone # is 503-656-2172

Good luck
May 28, 2003, 04:27 PM
characters welcome!
If all else fails, get a Mountain Models DuskStik. A better idea.
May 28, 2003, 06:47 PM
My Slowstick shipped yesterday from Allerc.com, I'm glad I got an other one because now they are out again.

-Mike-
May 28, 2003, 08:21 PM
If you think you guys in the USA have problems, you should try getting one in Australia. The Hobby shop guys (in Western Australia ) just look at you with a dumb experession on their face.

They don't seem to know what a slow stick is.
May 28, 2003, 10:20 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Sorry to hear that so difficult to get Slow Stick in USA.

I already pass this thred contains to HORIZON Hobby.

Pls check www.flygws.com than you will get a quick acess to GWS products pages in Horizon web. Contact them to find the neariest LHS who has SS.
May 28, 2003, 11:14 PM
Lurker
Mr. Lin,

Don't pass the thread contents, just ship them a boat load of slowstiks. We know they need them even if they don't.

May 28, 2003, 11:23 PM
Tight is Right
All my LHS's now have several Slow Sticks in stock.

The Slow Stick is relatively new (what, about a year now?). It's been very popular around here ever since its release. The local LHS's don't make much on the plane but one LHS sells more than one a day when they are in stock. Inevitably they sell props, servos, batteries, connectors to go with them... and make money there.

Melf
May 28, 2003, 11:23 PM
daycat: great first plane choice. Was going to suggest Canadianmodelsupply too, but as I scrolled down, there it was. I'd go for the GWS GS400 esc as it has plenty of room for it and you can use it for more powerful planes later. Smart radio choice. Try 12x6 props as well.

Happy flying

Quick Reply