Mar 15, 2010, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Help!

New 4-site airframe, what adhesive to use on ar6400?

I will be receiving a new 4-site airframe tomorrow and I would like to swap my electronics over to it from my destroyed one. I didn't really think of this before, but now that it has crossed my mind, what adhesive do you use to fasten the ar6400L and the aileron servos onto the airframe? When I did this on my Sukhoi the brick kind of has a little "tray" it sits on then I just glued over the corners with foam safe CA. Same with the aileron servo. This time I need to have it held onto the side of the airframe, and I don't really want to use CA because it's so brittle and heavy. Do you guys use double sided tape or anything similar when you do airframe swaps? Or perhaps another type of adhesive? I haven't looked closely enough at my 4-site before asking this, but what adhesive is used from the factory?

Any answers would be much appreciated. I want to bring this little beast with me to San Diego Wednesday so I'd like to have it all together tomorrow night.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2010, 04:25 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Not an expert, but I think most people suggest the same stuff Horizon is using in most of their planes anyway: RTV or silicone... Just use very, very, very little, and make sure it's in a well ventilated place since it's releasing acidic stuff in the air as it's drying up (not that good for electronic)...

How did you get a frame so fast? From somebody who bought one for the electronic? Because I was not expecting them to be on the shelf that quickly.... If you did buy a replacement frame from a HS, how much did you pay for it?
Mar 15, 2010, 06:35 PM
www.nastyflyers.com
I think that just a drop (little) of UHU Por will be just enough...

And the big Question is, as many others, Where did you buy just the Airframe???

I have just bought mine and I haven't had any chance to fly it. But It's very interesting to many many people to know where to buy a replacement!

Regards from Mexico

Jorge Medina
Mar 16, 2010, 01:03 AM
Thread OP
Sorry guys I didn't mean to get your hopes up. I bought the airframe from another user here who just needed the electronics. Thanks for your help!
Mar 16, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hot glue works well too.

Gord.
Mar 16, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Hot glue works well too.

Gord.
Have you done this successfully? I'm afraid it would melt right through the foam, and be quite heavy.
Mar 16, 2010, 02:17 PM
Fly R/C writer
Uh-oh....I would suggest that if you use hot glue, use the low temp stuff. This foam is like.... real thin!

Mike
Mar 16, 2010, 07:09 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
UHU POR! You only need little tiny dots in the corners.
Gary
Mar 16, 2010, 07:16 PM
Sorry,been flying all afternoon. Yes, use the small glue gun on low heat.That's what I use to attach with. and as said, you only need a dot. Maybe 1/8 in. dia.

Gord.
Mar 17, 2010, 12:21 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Another vote for Uhu Por or similar.

It will not render the airframe brittle. It will allow some flex in the event of a crash
or bump.
Best to apply it and let it dry overnight or let it sit all day.
It's worth it once it dries or sets.
Mar 17, 2010, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
Well I got it all up and running. I almost forgot how a non-trashed 4site flies! It's incredible! Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Looks like Uhu Por is the way to go. Is there any way to get it to dry faster?
Mar 17, 2010, 09:14 PM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
As far as drying faster, I usually put the plane (or whatever you're glueing) somewhere warm, such as on a window sill where the sun is shining in.

Really, your best bet is not to be too impatient and let it "set" overnight.
It does dry better or quicker in warmer, low humidity type places.
(I would imagine, based on your location, that you have plenty of sun and low humidity!!)
Mar 18, 2010, 12:23 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat
It does dry better or quicker in warmer, low humidity type places.
(I would imagine, based on your location, that you have plenty of sun and low humidity!!)
You got it. We hit 85 today. The 100's will be soon to follow.

Quick Reply