This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 15, 2010, 01:54 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Another orphan comes my way!

Well, it would seem that another odd model plane has managed to find a new home...namely, mine.

A friend of mine who's basically just starting out in the hobby and flies only electrics managed to win a used but complete nitro-powered plane at a club raffle. Since he didn't want to mess around with nitro, he gave it to me as-is, with engine and four Futaba servos.

Not bad for one dollar for him and free for me.

I was told that this roughly .40-sized model is about thirty years old, but I have no way of knowing that unless I can track down the original owner. Regardless of the age, it is a finely built thing.

Both the fuselage and wing appear to be fiberglass over wood, covered with a fine fiberglass cloth and painted with dope. The fusealge actually feels like a single, solid unit as if it were carved out of a single piece of wood. The graphics are regular iron-on bits. I have never seen a model put together quite this way. The Donald Duck finger puppet which took up space in the cockpit was removed; it's too nice a model to have such an incongruous figure under the canopy and it was rattling around loose anyway.

The engine is an "odd duck" as well. It seems to run fine with its strapped-on tuned pipe open at both ends. Nice and loud and according to another flying buddy, it pulls the model through the air just fine. At least I can take heart in knowing it flies well and just flew recently. How anyone managed to fly it on the original fuel tank is beyond me, but it's been replaced and the replacement works great. Anyway, there are no manufacturer's markings which I can see, but it looks as if it's an old O.S. .45. If anyone recognizes this engine for what it is, please let me know.

The photos are of the model before I cleaned it up and touched up the dope, but after I added a new prop, spinner and fuel tank.

UPDATE: Ah, I have the lineage of this little beast! It's an original kit-built and modified Super Sportster and is indeed more than thirty years old. My assumption on the engine was correct; it really is an O.S. .45.

The plane last belonged to the club's VP and the damaged dope on the bottom of the wing (not shown) was the result of the thing being used as a prop on a local parade float. The dope peeled off when the Velcro used to attach it to the float pulled off.

So there you have it. Will blog when I put it in the air; club veep says she flies like a dream.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Mar 15, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply